Motorsports helmet

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I need to get my own as borrowing one each time I got out is getting a little tedious. The local drag strip pretty much requires one unless you are driving a turd of a car. Does anyone see a reason to go for anything beyond this?

Bell Sport Mag SA2010 Auto Racing Helmet
2022105_1_orig.jpg

http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-mag-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=2211

Also, has anyone ordered from saferacer.com? Seems like a good site, but I don't have any first hand experience.

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
I usually order from www.helmetcity.com Hassle free returns/exchanges. I've heard of saferacer but never used them. SA2010 should be fine. I've had 2 now and they've paid for themselves vs renting one for $30-40 at each event. Plus no one elses funk touches your head. lol

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
If you plan on doing any road courses, i would buy a full face one. Just because when you go off into the dirt, you want your eyes and face protected from the debris

I also use a headsock, so u can just wash it afterward and not too much sweat gets your helmet funky

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
If you plan on doing any road courses, i would buy a full face one. Just because when you go off into the dirt, you want your eyes and face protected from the debris

I also use a headsock, so u can just wash it afterward and not too much sweat gets your helmet funky

Are there any concerns with airbags and full face helmets? I haven't researched but I thought they could deploy into the helmet.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
if you are looking for a cheapie i'd buy an open face pyrotect, i've used mine at 15+ track days

however I do regret not buying a full face helmet

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Are there any concerns with airbags and full face helmets? I haven't researched but I thought they could deploy into the helmet.

Ive never heard of that before. You are driving with the visor down, so i dont see how that can happen

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Ive never heard of that before. You are driving with the visor down, so i dont see how that can happen

The airbag will hit the helmet and push your head back harder than it would if you weren't wearing the helmet. Not sure if it's a real concern or a myth, personally.

For casual drag strip nights, that helmet would do fine I think.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I bought my motorcycle helmet/track helmet on amazon for 50 bucks. It was a bell, and was DOT approved.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Not all tracks/organizations accept DOT helmets. In my experience most require Snell-rated, some require SA.

Eh, the track I go to requires DOT approved. So it works for me. The ice racing events also require a "helmet". Either way I was just suggesting OP check amazon...

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Full face for a motorcycle, but in a car I think that Bell would be fine....along with goggles and a good restraint system.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Motorcycle helmets are not allowed at many track events because they are not fire retardant.

Yep. They're fine for cone-dodging (Snell) but anything on a track/wheel-to-wheel that I've seen requires SA.

Frankly, cheaping out on a helmet is not a good call. Sure, 99.9% of the time it's no big deal. But when you need a good helmet, it can save your life. I've always heard: "if you've got a $100 head, get a $100 helmet".

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Yep. They're fine for cone-dodging (Snell) but anything on a track/wheel-to-wheel that I've seen requires SA.

Frankly, cheaping out on a helmet is not a good call. Sure, 99.9% of the time it's no big deal. But when you need a good helmet, it can save your life. I've always heard: "if you've got a $100 head, get a $100 helmet".

I actually just went to High Plains Raceway here in CO to set up for a track event next weekend, and I asked them about my helmet and they said its good to go. Maybe I just lucked out, but yeah. Amazon has done well for me...

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I actually just went to High Plains Raceway here in CO to set up for a track event next weekend, and I asked them about my helmet and they said its good to go. Maybe I just lucked out, but yeah. Amazon has done well for me...

I assume that was an un-timed HPDE, not an actual race, correct?