Motorcycles: I want one UPDATE I GOT ONE!!!

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Planning on getting a motorcycle. I scheduled the test at the DMV for next week and I signed up for the CHP sponsored safety class. I did the classroom portion and one day of hands-on, but got rained out the second day.
I still need to reschedule the second day... but i need more practice on low speed turning, i just put my foot down too much i think :(

I know most people suggest starting with a 250 for beginners and I don't mind the idea but heard that i'll grow out of it quickly. My wife also wants to ride; so my idea is to just get the smaller bike for me to learn on and she can inherit it as I move to a larger bike . .

I'm 6'1 200lb
she's 5'5 130lb

question number one: would a 250 be sufficient for her? I was thinking a Honda CBR250R or even the newer Kawasaki Ninja 300 since that'll give it more longevity...for both of us

question number two: does anyone know where i can go in the california bay area to just practice riding a bike maybe in a parking lot without shelling out lots of cash?

EDIT: I GOT ONE!!!
Took my test at the dmv today to get my permit... then called back a guy I had spoken to previously on craigslist..
I ended up with a black 2005 ninja 500r with about 19k on the clock and already cracked fairings. Paid 2200. Figured the 250 might not be big enough. Ill post pictures in the morning once I get some light. So excited!!

SAM_0914.JPG

I added some reflective tape on the tailpipe there . . pretty visible with the flash! I've added a bit more here and there and on my helmet to help with low-light visibility.

so yes that is pink tank protector . . .. hey it's a used bike!

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
People who ride for any length of time have owned quite a few different bikes. In other words, don't go into buying a bike like you do a piece of computer equipment. Both of the bikes you mentioned seem to fall under the crotch rocket category which is fine but, don't overlook cruisers. While riding tends to be a male dominated sport, don't think that being smaller or lighter means your wife will be comfortable on a smaller bike. We all ride differently and progress to the most comfortable bike for your style of riding. Except, for the idiots who buy a bike way to big to begin with.

Also, I would recommend checking out used bikes til your more knowledgeable and comfortable with riding. Then, in a couple of years, go out and get that new bike. You'll save a good bit of cash and trading in used bikes is a much smaller loss than trading in a 1 or 2 year old bike.

Oh and, church parking lots are a good place to practice low speed maneuvers.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Luckily bikes tend to hold value fairly well so if you find a decent used one chances are you'll pretty much break even when you decide to sell. Generally speaking, of course.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
1. For her the Ninja 300 would be perfect if she wants a sportsbike...for you try and see if you can find a Suzuki GS500. They'll both be perfect bikes for you to learn on and they're interchangeable.

2. Any parking lot will do. I used a HS parking lot.

crackerjacks

Jun 7, 2007
Planning on getting a motorcycle. I scheduled the test at the DMV for next week and I signed up for the CHP sponsored safety class. I did the classroom portion and one day of hands-on, but got rained out the second day.
I still need to reschedule the second day... but i need more practice on low speed turning, i just put my foot down too much i think :(

I know most people suggest starting with a 250 for beginners and I don't mind the idea but heard that i'll grow out of it quickly. My wife also wants to ride; so my idea is to just get the smaller bike for me to learn on and she can inherit it as I move to a larger bike . .

I'm 6'1 200lb
she's 5'5 130lb

question number one: would a 250 be sufficient for her? I was thinking a Honda CBR250R or even the newer Kawasaki Ninja 300 since that'll give it more longevity...for both of us

question number two: does anyone know where i can go in the california bay area to just practice riding a bike maybe in a parking lot without shelling out lots of cash?

You'll never outgrow the cbr250 if you don't want to. I've been riding for 10 years now, a ton of different bikes, and those 250cc are still hella fun to push through some tight twisties.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Sportbikes are horrible for low speed, around town cruising. The bars are too narrow, and for people new to bikes they're just awful for learning on(I did, and got nothing out of it long term). Moving onto one later is great though.
I suggest a motard of some sort, like a street legal Aprillia/KTM. Tons of room/leverage, power and grip and you'd never outgrow it.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have a 09 se kawi 250. Very light bike for someone skinny like me, forgiving as long as you know what you are doing and practice.

Mines been sitting outside since September so I'm doubting it will even start this spring. I'm hoping I won't need to tear the carbs out again as I had no time to maintain it before the cold. It's been covered.

I love the 250 but it's a cold blooded bike, need to ride with half choke for a mile or two before it warms up.

As for a first bike, I'm definately keeping it but I'll need to practice more especially slow turns while lights are green, and stopping on time due to quick reaction.

I only rode for 3 months after my license so be prepared to drop it at least once if you get nervous, and also go out each day on it little by little until you get comfy on it. Once you do that, practice in traffic and take back roads all you want just to get ideas of what the bike can do.

The 250 is a great bike until you mastered riding and just want to be faster.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
i went with a 04 suzuki GS500F for my first after my MSF. I didn't want to pay the Ninja250 tax. A lot of people have said you can buy used for $2500, ride it, drop it and sell it for $2500 at the end of the season or start of the next. Too much of a risk to me.

But everything i found was dropped like 5 times or so and just looked beat up. I found a GS500F and that was CHEAPER then all 250's out there and i sold it for what i bought it for. It was $1500. Yea i didn't have a lot of options to mod the bike but who cares.

I'm now on to a SV650n and i love it. I wish i had more time to ride it and lived in a warm weather climate.

i'm 5'11 and 170lb. People say a looked a little big for my GS500 but perfect for my SV because its a taller bike. The 250r's are a little on the small/short side.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Lots of good advice here. Main points that you should remember:

- you will drop it - better reason to buy used
- you will outgrow it - better reason to buy used.
- you want decent safety gear - better reason to buy used and invest in better riding gear

Everyone is different as far as riding position and so forth... I went from a 450 air cooled suzuki to a 700 inline 4, to a 1200 RR... and the (1200 RR still scares me to think of it), back down to a 1000cc touring setup. Your ideas about motorcycling and the type of bikes you will want will likely change so I hate to see people invest good money in new bikes for their first ride.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I'm 6'1 200lb
she's 5'5 130lb

Been riding for 20 years.
Buy something comfortable.
You should be able to focus on riding. Not sore joints or muscles or and you should be able to come to a stop and put both feet on the ground.

You are 6'1 and 200lbs and a 250cc bike will still be more bike than you can handle for the first few years of ownership. Acceleration means shit right now. A 200lb guy on a 250cc is going to keep up with and pass all sorts of traffic. As long as the bikes suspension is able to handle your weight then that is all that is important.
The most important thing you need to be learning is how to take turns and maneuvering the bike in emergencies.
Look where you want to go.
If you are going through a corner and you are staring at the ditch, that's where you are going to go.
If you are staring at a car's hood in coming from the opposite direction...that's where you are going to go.

If you are coming around a blind corner and there is huge sand patch in the road what are you going to do?

There are ton of things you need to be ready for and the best way to learn is by having a simple, lightweight, maneuverable and comfortable motorcycle.

Motards, sub 500cc standards and sport(ish) bikes are great platforms.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
- you want decent safety gear - better reason to buy used and invest in better riding gear

DEFINITELY!!

Full face helmet (No skull caps, half helmets or other bullshit lids. Full face helmet 100% of the time.

Real motorcycle gloves.
Real motorcycle boots. No sneakers and work boots do not count.
You should have at least one quality leather motorcycle jacket.
Riding pants are prefered

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
DEFINITELY!!

Full face helmet (No skull caps, half helmets or other bullshit lids. Full face helmet 100% of the time.

Real motorcycle gloves.

This.. you deff need all the gear. And don't skimp out on it either. My gfs dad broke his ankle in 8 pieces because his throttle got stuck and he hit a piece of concrete by his garage. If it's used, have a buddy check the bike out make sure nothing is sticky or jumpy.

You can get decent gear online

jaha2000

Jul 28, 2008
Sportbikes are horrible for low speed, around town cruising. The bars are too narrow, and for people new to bikes they're just awful for learning on(I did, and got nothing out of it long term). Moving onto one later is great though.
I suggest a motard of some sort, like a street legal Aprillia/KTM. Tons of room/leverage, power and grip and you'd never outgrow it.

While this would be great for somebody that has ridden dirtbikes for a number of years and is very comfortable doing valve checks and oil changes, the Aprillia SXV is FAR from a beginnner piece...
Now.. If we are talking about the LC4 based KTM, then yes i would agree, but the APE is not for the faint of hart. (of course there is the Shiver, which i would not call a motard)

Keep in mind.. I agree with you 100%. Supermoto makes you learn how to turn and carry speed. Two equal riders on a twisty section of road/track, the supermoto wins 100% of the time.

For the OP. The ninja/CBR are good learning bikes. My MSF course had a couple of ninjas for the range bikes. They are not really "sport bikes" in terms of riding position to me. Pretty upright and wide bars.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Seems manufacturers are coming out with new, smaller hikes. Suzuki has a 250 as does Honda. Honda just came out with a 500 in three models. (They just released a new CB 1100 too).
My first street bike was cheap but under powered a Honda CB 125. It was fine to learn on but within a year I bought a CB 750 SS.

I ride a Kawasaki Concours now (Sport Tourer)

Lots of good info here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2268607

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What I love about the kawi 250 bikes is you can buy one for 2k, ride it, even scratch it a bit and next season if your bored, and if its a nice model you can sell it for 2500. So many people last spring had my model and year and we're trying to sell it for pretty much dealer prices. Funny thing is, people bought them because the demand for starter bikes is high in the spring into summer.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
DEFINITELY!!

Real motorcycle gloves.

unless you want your ass and legs to get roadrash, i'd highly recommend riding pants as well.

jeans do not hold up when sliding on concrete or asphalt.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I got a Suzuki S40 as my first bike, I highly recommend it. For a first bike, you can't beat it. More juice than a 250, but not enough to absolutely kill yourself. It handles well, and is really easy to operate and has a super relaxed sitting position.

And it was $1,500 bucks.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
[/B]

unless you want your ass and legs to get roadrash, i'd highly recommend riding pants as well.

Agreed. Padding to protect the hips, knees and shins is more important than rash protection even, I'd say. Frick does cracking your shin on a curb hurt, 8 years later and I still have zero feeling in my shin area. It's like its frozen.
Road riding, pshhh. Who needs it, too much garbage like that. 100% track.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Seems manufacturers are coming out with new, smaller hikes. Suzuki has a 250 as does Honda. Honda just came out with a 500 in three models. (They just released a new CB 1100 too).
My first street bike was cheap but under powered a Honda CB 125. It was fine to learn on but within a year I bought a CB 750 SS.

I ride a Kawasaki Concours now (Sport Tourer)

Lots of good info here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2268607

HOLY CRAP! Those actually look pretty decent. Haven't seen any reviews yet, but they'd be my bike of choice if I was starting out again.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Seems manufacturers are coming out with new, smaller hikes. Suzuki has a 250 as does Honda. Honda just came out with a 500 in three models. (They just released a new CB 1100 too).http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2268607

I know this is off topic, but I'm absolutely over the moon that Honda finally brought the CB1100 to the States. It's simply a beautiful bike and the standard segment has been ignored in the US for far too long.

Back to the OP, I just want to add another voice echoing what everyone else has said here. I've been riding for 15 years now and I will never understand the avoidance of small bikes. I started out on a 450cc Honda twin and it had more than enough power to get me into trouble. It will even lift the front wheel a bit if I get on it hard from a stop (discovered that by accident once because I assumed there was no way that could happen).

As others have said, get good gear. This is one area to spend money. While basic gear will often have more than adequate protection, more expensive gear pays dividends in comfort, especially as the weather gets hotter. Better gear will have more vents and better airflow and will keep you cooler when it's hot, warmer when it's cold, and drier when it's wet. That helps reduce fatigue and keep you alert which is a HUGE bonus. Buy the best gear you can afford and you'll enjoy riding a lot more.

ZV

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
[/B]

If you must have the jeans look, Dragin Jeans do hold up. Granted they have kevlar butt, knees, etc...

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I always suggested people start on a reasonable 400-500cc 4 stroke which will generally put them in the 40-50hp range. They're not too much to start off with, people tend to keep them a bit longer than a 250, they're better on the express way and they offer more power in emergency maneuvers.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The February issue of Motorcyclist magazine has blurbs on the Suzuki 250, Honda 500s and the CB1100.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
I know this is off topic, but I'm absolutely over the moon that Honda finally brought the CB1100 to the States. It's simply a beautiful bike and the standard segment has been ignored in the US for far too long.

Triumph has some pretty decent bikes to fulfill that niche.

Last edited: