Motorcycle Helmets - Clearance at Dennis Kirk

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by cmv, Sep 28, 2005.

1. cmv

cmv Diamond Member

Dennis Kirk - Motorcycle Helmet Clearance

There are some really good deals but be sure to check if they are DOT and Schnell approved (I have been told Schnell is harder to pass than DOT). I'm not seeing any killer deals -- my normal buy is an HJC CL-14 from NewEnough.com but they are not killer deals at the moment either (they sometimes go for a little under $80 there).

2. Budmantom

Budmantom Lifer

Nice Deals!

3. DarkForceRising

DarkForceRising Senior member

4. bman46

bman46 Senior member

$27 for a full face is a good deal.

5. bmacd

bmacd Lifer

the majority of the helmets there are garbage. The other name brand helmets (icon, nolan, HJC) are the oddball sizes...either 2XSmall or 2XLarge, stuff your average person wouldn't be able to fit in.

-=bmacd=-

6. 3point14

3point14 Golden Member

The only piece of advice that I have is... DO NOT BE CHEAP WHEN BUYING A HELMET!
    I have two separate helmets for riding; a cheap Vega that I got when I bought my bike, and an Arai Quantum E. At the time of my accident in July I was wearing my Arai. That's a good thing considering the quality of helmet is what saved my life. I am not going to get into too many details, but I am still alive today because of my helmet. In fact, I still keep the helmet around to show my students. OK, enough preaching from me, happy riding everyone.

7. Nessism

Nessism Golden Member

Arai helmets are nice but are a very poor value if your main purpose is to protect your head.

8. NiNe

NiNe Member

Wow, great read.

It's nice to know that sometimes us poor people can get something that performs just as well as what the rich folk have (even if it might not be as comfortable or look as nice).

Wow, a $79 Z1R ZRP-1 softens hits to 130-176g vs. an Arai Tracker GT at 166-243g. Call me silly, but if I can pay less money and take 35-67 less G's on my noggin, I'm on board.

9. Kelvrick

Kelvrick Lifer

$50 helmets are one thing, but if they're new HJC, or any of those other budget $150-250 helmets, you'll be hard pressed to find a difference with the $400-500 Arai helmets aside from the fancy handpainted designs.

On that note, you should get a helmet that passes BOTH of those safety approvals. He's right when he says don't skimp on gear, but you don't need to get the most expensive, name-brand stuff. Just don't cheap out.

10. mercanucaribe

mercanucaribe Banned

I should buy one of those for Mt Biking.. They're cheaper than full face bicycle helmets.

11. Midlander

Midlander Platinum Member

I don't ride, but make sure those of you who do get a helmet. My brother (an MD) told me I was wasting my time signing an organ donor card. I asked why. He said I don't fit the profile. "You don't ride a motorcycle." Hmmm. Makes you think a bit, doesn't it?

So, if you ride, please wear a helmet.:thumbsup:

12. k1114

k1114 Golden Member

For those who are looking for a good deal, look into the Scorpion Exo series... It's been getting great reviews (rates right up there with Arai and Shoei) but both of their models (the 400 and 700) are under $200.

13. 3point14

3point14 Golden Member

Based on...?

:thumbsup:

14. MiataPaul

MiataPaul Member

The prices seem good, I just have a hard time buying online. I can't try it on for one thing, and for another you have no idea how old it is. Plastics get britile with age. SCCA rules require the helmet to be less than 5 years old. (go by the manufacturing date on sticker) So I might save a few dollars but only be able to use it for a few years. Not a good value. I know not every one races, but there is a reason for the rule. They say the plastic helmets (I believe none of wich are Snell approved anyway) they say should be thrown out every few years.

15. Slacker

Slacker Diamond Member

I bought an M2R MR1000 (image link) size large $64.00 shipped (product page link)
    , it came today, very nice helmet, the large was too small for me but fit my wife, I ordered another of the same helmet in XL for myself, it should be here next week.

Nice CSR's
    Quick shipping
    New retail packaging
    The date on the helmet is 10/17/2002

I am wearing it right now :D

16. utacity

utacity Junior Member

ANY helmet is better than none.

read the motorcyclist mag review of helmets...it was shocking...in that 'cheapo' DOT ONLY helmets kicked the butts of many helmets 4 times as expensive. you dont necessarily want a snell certified helmet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/index.html

also keep in mind that with ANY helmet you want to replace it every 3-5 years as it 'ages out' and wont protect you as well. the foams and glues and other materials inside break down over time. so, IMO, i am going to look for good brand name helmet that i can get for around $100, say from denniskirk.com clearance section and then just replace it every 3 years. from what i have read i will likely try to find a DOT ONLY helmet. i currenlty wear an hjc full face that has both dot and snell ratings but its old enough that i need to replace it NOW.

17. utacity

utacity Junior Member

along the same lines of safety, a full-face is likely better protection than 3/4 or 1/2 helmet.

also you want leather boots that go up over your ankles.

its also prudent to wear a riding jacket with body armor built into it.

basically suit up like a football player before you go out to ride! :)

18. Salvador

Salvador Diamond Member

19. Salvador

Salvador Diamond Member

Excellent! All I need now is a deal on manufacturer rejects on condoms. ;)

20. Sundog

Sundog Lifer

There are some good debates between SNELL and DOT standards. When I went shopping for on I purposely looked for a helmet that was DOT and not SNELL.

21. cmv

cmv Diamond Member

The differences between expensive Shnell/DOT-certified helmets and a cheaper Shnell/DOT-certified helmets are primary creature comforts like less noise, better fit, weight, and easier to clean (completely removable inserts). I would not even consider buying a non-certified helmet.

22. cmv

cmv Diamond Member

I also sign my organ donor card even with the reports that some companies profit by reselling skin and other parts. I don't know if that is true anymore but, even though I read about the profit angle, there is still a chance that some part of me will keep another person alive if I bit the big one. So consider signing your organ card too.

23. Sundog

Sundog Lifer

It is Snell, not Shnell.

Snell M2000/M2005 standard

24. halik

halik Lifer

Yeah,
    helmet is one of those things you don't wanna cheap out on. Hell you can get a full face helmet for 40 bucks in Meijers.... that doesn't make it a good deal.

25. Sundog

Sundog Lifer

And yet you can spend $600-800 for one that protects as well as $150-250.