Moto X Pure Edition...anything better for the money?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've got a 2013 Moto X Developer Edition that I rooted on Verizon. I'm on their unlimited plan and have been since they offered it... My wife's office just dropped all their cellphone plans for employees and kicked her off. She switched to Sprint's $60 unlimited plan, so I'm considering switching to the $100 - 2 line option and having her pay for it. (would save us about $50/month after I bring a discount to her Sprint account)

My current phone is great, but I was told it won't work on Sprint's network...so I'm looking at the 2015 Pure Edition. They're running a special for the 32GB version @ $299. It's a bigger screen than what I've got and faster processor....Marshmallow instead of Lollipop and Turbo-charging...longer battery life. (my only real issue with my current phone since I run a few hours while streaming music and cut my battery life down quick...)

Any better phones for the money? Any better places to get it than Amazon or Motorola direct? I've been trying to find the best deal possible and missed out on a few used ones last week...not sure what price points I should look at for used vs new as I just started shopping for one Friday.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
That's probably the best phone at that price point. There are a myriad of "flagship killers" at $400, and a bunch of good value phones at $200, but most won't work on a CDMA carrier like Sprint. The Moto X Pure is a nice and clean phone at $300.

I had my 2013 Moto X (still running as a backup phone, still fast with XPerience) on Sprint. Great phone, though the battery life was always mediocre even after tweaks.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Mint on swappa are going for $225 shipped
Tough because the mint ones there are the 16GB versions and Motorola is selling those for $289 new (plus tax) or the 32GB version for $10 more...and I'll know it's never been in a bathroom before. =D I'm trying to decide if that's worth $100 to me along with any risk associated (no matter how small) with buying a used or refurbished phone. I'm kicking myself a little because Amazon had some last week on their warehouse (refurbs) for $170-186 shipped and I just missed the purchase because I hesitated at checkout as I had just started pricing the phone.

Thanks for the reply Crono. I like my 2013 Moto X and hate to waste technology. I feel like it's got another year left in it and I really like the size of the screen and how it feels in my pocket compared to the larger screened models that have flooded the market.

I would stick with my current Moto X Dev Edition if it weren't for the opportunity to save in the long run by switching to Sprint to get my cellphone bill off my books and on my wife's. (we run separate finances in my household)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I've owned the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition since it launched, and for the most part it's held its own despite the modest processor. One thing I don't understand though--if the phone is so popular and dev friendly, why isn't there more developer support? Sure, there are a handful of AOSP and CM-based ROMs available, but very few modified/optimized ROMs based on stock. I'm still using stock because it's such a good base, but other than TruPureXMM I can't find any other ROMs based on stock. I find that odd because back when I had an HTC M8, there were a ton of ROMs based on stock.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm thoroughly disappointed with Motorola's software update schedule. I know this phone was probably designed when Moto was part of Google, and the sale to Lenovo resulted in some personnel shifts, but the promise was that buying an unlocked Moto X Pure meant you'd have a "near-Nexus" experience with regular software updates, and at the very least monthly security bulletins. I think to date in 2016 we've had only 2 security patches released for the XT1575 (unlocked North American model) and we're still stuck on Android 6.0 vs. 6.0.1. No excuse other than Lenovo doesn't care to keep the commitment and would like their dev team otherwise occupied. Not even holding my breath for a timely update to Nougat...will be picking up an iPhone 7 Plus as soon as it's back in stock.

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
I had the moto x 2015. And have a z Play now. The z Play costs $100-150 more but is a ton better. But you need to be on sprint. Is leaving sprint an option. It's worth the extra $100 to get a phone on day cricket that had twice the battery life and feels just as fast

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I was asking about Sprint specifically because I used to get a stipend at work and they cut it a few years back to cut costs. My wife and I were on Verizon for years and I was on the Unlimited data plan...her phone was on her company's account, but they switched her to the stipend model after too many people had data overages. I did the research here and found that the Freedom Unlimited Plan with Sprint was $60 for her or $100 for both of our accounts. I get a discount there and that leaves us with $90 + tax for 2 lines and her stipend covers most of it. I can use wifi at work and data works fine at home....not many complaints around here on Sprint. Certainly not worth me throwing $100/month away when I can get that line item off my books.

I got the Moto X and it's working great. Camera is great, battery life is great....It's fast and responsive...it's just a bigger phone than I wanted. Concerns about Android updates aren't a big deal for me. I prefer to be on stable software if possible. As long as security is decent...cause older software is typically less-bloated and faster.