Moto Mobility wins preliminary injunction against Apple . . .

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Bateluer, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

In Germany.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/11/motorola-mobility-apparently-won.html

The dance continues.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Moto Mobility wins Forum Date
    AT&T Moto X on T-Mobile Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 12, 2013
    Google/Motorola Mobility’s Moto X Outpaces Competition with New Innovations Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 9, 2013
    I just ordered a T-mobile moto X Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 10, 2013
    Sprint & Moto: Photon 4G for Sprint & Triumph for Virgin Mobile Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jun 9, 2011
    Leaked T-Mobile roadmap? HTC Vanguard and Emerald, Moto Jordan and Beyond Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jul 12, 2010

3. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

this is just getting stipid now

4. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

FRAND patents. yawn.

5. senseamp

senseamp Lifer

Good job, Moto.

6. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Looks like Apple bit of a bit more than they could handle with their patent lawsuits. From what I saw of that article all Apple mobile devices infringe on these patents so I could be a majpr blow to their sales.

Congrats to Moto though, I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad to see Apple on the receiving end of this.

7. akugami

akugami Diamond Member

From what I've read, only one of the patents is found to have been "standards essential" and likely require it to follow FRAND rules. The status of the second of the two patents is unknown at this time.

8. makken

makken Golden Member

if I'm reading this right, motorola won on default; apple didn't respond in time.

I'll wait for the appeal and for apple to actually present their case before I make any judgements.

This is indeed getting stupid tho.

9. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

not stupid. in order to stop bully, you got to bully them.

10. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

ftfy.

11. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Anyone think it is ironic that meaningful technical developments made by Motorola and Samsung are covered by FRAND rules while Apple can attempt to drive their competitors out of the market by patenting the rectangle?

12. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

Good work Googorola.

This is likely the tip of the iceberg in regards to Moto's patent portfolio that Google acquired specifically for ammunition against Apple.

13. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Not if you bother to read how the process works and understand the differences. For at least one of those patents, Motorola declared to a standards body that the patent was essential to the standard, therefore allowing it to be included in the standard and allow Motorola to collect royalties from anyone licensing the patents to implement or use that standard. The problem is that they cannot later attempt to license the patent under non-FRAND terms.

Apple hasn't declared any of their patents essential to a standard and is under no obligation to license to anyone for any reasons at this time. Also, design patents have absolutely nothing to do with the patents involved in this current dispute so I don't know why you bother to bring them up.

14. senseamp

senseamp Lifer

In the meantime, Motorola got an injunction on import of Apples phones into Germany in place.

15. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

It's not that simple, Nilay Patel and Florian Meuller had a pissing match on Twitter about it yesterday :)

16. _Aurel_

_Aurel_ Member

It really is that simple. If apple incorporated has an injunction put on it that prevents it from getting products into apple Germany's hands, where else do you expect apple Germany to receive new product? This is the exact same tactic that apple used against Samsung earlier.

17. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

So random internet bloggers>German judges?

Actually given their recent decisions you may have something there. :sneaky:

18. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

Apple's response:

"This is a procedural issue and has nothing to do with the merits of the case. It does not affect our ability to do business or sell products in Germany at this time."

And on a personal note, I forgot in a moment of insanity I'm abstaining from posting in patent related threads...

Sorry.

19. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Mueller was pretty skeptical about the ruling having absolutely no effect, but it does seem pretty stupid for Apple to mount absolutely no defense at all, even if the verdict has little or no consequence.