Motion Blur on 2405FPW?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Hoping the 2405fpw owners will chime in and give me their opinions. I have a 2005fpw right now and I'm considering the upgrade to a 2405fpw. I see no motion blur on my 2005 and I'm wondering if the 2405 is just as motion blur free?

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
No issue as long as your graphics card can drive a good framerate at it's resolution.

A friend who was running WoW at native resolution on a 6800GT had some slowdown and "blurring" in the "near" environment. He didn't notice it, because he was used to it. But once I pointed it out, and he watched for it, then he noticed it. Now he curses me for it.

When I went to check out the LCD to decide if I wanted to buy one, I was complaining about the choppiness on the lower 25% of the screen while running through areas with relatively flat geometry.

I lugged my 7800GTX-SLI box over to test it, and it went away when you had a card that could drive that resolution at high frame rates.

So with a graphics card good enough to drive it, it's not a problem.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Thanks for the replies gents. I've heard in the past that the 20" and 24" screens use a slightly different technology which resulted in the 2405 being not quite as good as the 2005, as far as motion blur goes. Sounds like that probably isn't true though.

sparhawk6

Aug 26, 2003
The 2405 does have motion blur. What I always say is that people who doesn't see it are either blind, or have a different monitor then I do.

The test I always say is if you have World of Warcraft, load up a gnome or dwarf character. These races start in a snowy area. Find a dark colored boar (they are right outside of town). Pan around while focusing on the boar. The background should be the snow. You will very very clearly see motion blur.

Having said that, I kept it just because it is so large and so beautiful in many ways. The motion blur I am slowly getting over.

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
I was debating on a 2405FPW or Sony 24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) .. Long story short I went with the FW900 and it should be here tommorrow :D

heres a pic of it sitting next to a 2405FPW

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Originally posted by: sparhawk6
The 2405 does have motion blur. What I always say is that people who doesn't see it are either blind, or have a different monitor then I do.

The test I always say is if you have World of Warcraft, load up a gnome or dwarf character. These races start in a snowy area. Find a dark colored boar (they are right outside of town). Pan around while focusing on the boar. The background should be the snow. You will very very clearly see motion blur.

Having said that, I kept it just because it is so large and so beautiful in many ways. The motion blur I am slowly getting over.

Go see your eye doctor. You basically just called everyone here that has one blind, when it's apparent you have the problem.

FW900 is an ok monitor, but it's been around for quite a while now, and is antiquated, to say the least. I hope you like it, but I think the better choice would have been the 2405.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I'm sure most people are able to see the blur (especially at lower res), but they just aren't bothered by it, kind of like the lines on an AG CRT. I can see the blur on my 17" LCD clear as day, but I rarely pay attention to it. Definitely not enough to bother me 99% of the time. Unless they've made huge strides in LCD tech, you would have to be blind not to see it. The Tr+Tf response time is still around 20ms. in actuality. If you're dead honest you can't notice the blur at all, then this monitor deserves a place on my desk...

If you really want to see the blur you can download one of those LCD motion blur testing programs. That will make your whole screen a smeary mess, but in no way does it represent 99.9% of any real-world app.

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Ronin
FW900 is an ok monitor, but it's been around for quite a while now, and is antiquated, to say the least. I hope you like it, but I think the better choice would have been the 2405.

Im sure the 2405FPW is a great monitor but I'd like the ability to run multiple resolutions without sacrificing image quality ,the FW900 can run widescreen resolutions such as 1600x1024, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 , 1920x1200, 2304 x 1440 etc. making it more flexible for Gaming & Movies... And of course motion blur wont be a factor.

The person that owns both monitors in this pic prefers gaming on the FW900 so it must be a pretty good monitor. It was sony's absolute highest end model and retailed for $2,300 ..I got it for $410 shipped so we'll see how it goes.

Busithoth

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2003
I play HL2:DM often and have noticed no blur. I have no complaints about the 2405.
If your card can handle 16x12, you can run that on the monitor as well, just choose to not scale it on the monitor and it'll look awesome. I love CRT monitors too, but lack the room, and happily can't really tell the deficiencies on LCDs that others seem to find.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Originally posted by: JRW

Im sure the 2405FPW is a great monitor but I'd like the ability to run multiple resolutions without sacrificing image quality ,the FW900 can run widescreen resolutions such as 1600x1024, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 , 1920x1200, 2304 x 1440 etc. making it more flexible for Gaming & Movies... And of course motion blur wont be a factor.

The person that owns both monitors in this pic prefers gaming on the FW900 so it must be a pretty good monitor. It was sony's absolute highest end model and retailed for $2,300 ..I got it for $410 shipped so we'll see how it goes.

You're aware that the 2405 can run these same resolutions (except > 1920x1200) with relative easy, with the ability to properly scale based on 3 different options?

I have a FW900, so I'm well aware of it's capabilities. I still prefer the 2405 over it (just my opinion, nothing more).

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
The motion blur is barely noticable and really only on black and white, like the one dude said. Other than that the monitor is great, with five inputs sources, pic in pic (watch TV while playing a game), mem card readers, Not to mention the land the wittle mouse has to traverse to get anywhere (crank up the mouse speed to fix this).

Oh, you can take my word for it, after all, I am part of the Owners Club in my sig, unlike some......:D

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
You're aware that the 2405 can run these same resolutions (except > 1920x1200) with relative easy, with the ability to properly scale based on 3 different options?

Yes im aware of that but I also know motion blur is noticably worse when the monitor is running out of its native resolution.

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
I'm still not ready to take the plunge into LCD land. So far from what I read here all the guys that chastise anyone that mentions seeing ghosting are pretty defensive (it's the exact argument about seeing rainbows on DVP projectors) considering the fact that everyone knows that LCD's are inferior to CRT for fast refresh rates....sure the 2405 is probably majorly better than the avg. LCD (and you can probably hide that ghosting even more with the killer systems posted in this thread) but I guarantee you that next to a good CRT you will notice the ghosting in about 3 minutes and I do feel bad for anybody that got the sweet screen real estate and has to deal with ghosting problems.

I bought one of those P4 based gaming laptops about a year ago and the ghosting on that thing is killer.... enough to make me really hesitate....(yeah I know my screen isn't a 2405.) ...well you know where I'm coming from.

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
but I guarantee you that next to a good CRT you will notice the ghosting in about 3 minutes and I do feel bad for anybody that got the sweet screen real estate and has to deal with ghosting problems.

Exactly what I did and ended up sending it back to Dell, this was a 2001FP.. With both monitors side by side running dual monitor it was very obvious that a high end CRT is still the best gaming display for various reasons.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I find your decision nothing other than what I would have expected. People who own the particular model may know all about it, but they also tend to be biased. Right now the scaling on my 17" isn't what I'd call acceptable. With Windows Vista, the LCD resolution issues may be a thing of the past since the whole OS GUI is based off vectors.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
but I guarantee you that next to a good CRT you will notice the ghosting in about 3 minutes and I do feel bad for anybody that got the sweet screen real estate and has to deal with ghosting problems.

Exactly what I did and ended up sending it back to Dell, this was a 2001FP.. With both monitors side by side running dual monitor it was very obvious that a high end CRT is still the best gaming display for various reasons.

Well the 2001fp ghosts noticeably more than the 2005fpw from what I've read (don't have any personal experience with the 2405fpw).

The quality of the LCD screen matters a lot too. My buddy has a 19" Samsung (can't remember which model) with a 25ms response time and it ghosts like crazy when he plays a fast-paced FPS. I've never noticed that on my 2005fpw. Maybe I just don't notice it but I'm pretty picky about that kind of thing so who knows.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004

is there supposed to be something onscreen with the LCD? hey maybe u can run a timedemo on a demo that has alot of contrast and see how it looks, dunno if it would show up correctly in a pic.

sparhawk6

Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by: sparhawk6

Go see your eye doctor. You basically just called everyone here that has one blind, when it's apparent you have the problem.

Have you tried the suggestion I posted? Granted, I didn't see the motion blur *until* I saw it in WoW as I have said. However, the question by the OP was "is the 2405 motion blur free?" The answer is very clearly no. In certain situations you can see it. Another poster here agrees.

If everyone loads up WoW under the conditions I said (dwarf/gnome starting town, focus on a black boar against the white background of the snow) and everyone says they see absolutely no motion blur, then you can say that indeed I do have a problem with my eyes and I will agree.

But just because people haven't seen it because the conditions needed to see it haven't been there, doesn't mean it's not there.