motherboards in 2 months?

supiammike

Jul 14, 2002
in the next 2 months i am building my next computer. i run linux and windows primarily.

I want to know where will motherboards be in the next 2 months. Should i be looking at 64 bit processors yet? i know amd is pretty far behind pentium right now.

i have always used amd while building my own computers but other than microsoft working so much with intel and some companies only buying intel is there a reason i should buy intel?

i normally buy a couple models below the best when i buy processors. (like when 1900+ was out i bought the 1700+)...
normally amd has a better price/speed when u look at the 3rd or 4th best processors right?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Depends on your application and performance needs.

AMD with DDR266 / 333 wins big on value up to maybe the 2500+ at stock speeds. Above that performance level, P4 at 800 FSB with DDR400 takes over in part because the XP PR ratings no longer match P4 speeds -- a 2.4C beats an XP "2700+" -- but AMD's pricing acts as if the ratings are valid.

Overclocking, the 2.4C is a monster, many of them can hit 3 GHz. If I recally correctly the XP 2500+ also OCs well.

For stock-speed high performance the P4 2.8C is currently the sweet spot.

supiammike

Jul 14, 2002
i dont overclock...

the applications i use will be windows, linux, blender (its like 3d studio max and maya but open source), office suites, dual monitors (from 1 agp card), mplayer, xine, instant messaging, emailing...

sometimes i do some coding and the redering for blender and every now and then i play video games... for those i will like a nice processor...