motherboards and temp onboard

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
this is a pretty stupid question IMO but i figured i'd ask anyways because if i don't i may never know the answer but anyways..i'm probably going to build my own pc during the month of september and the budget i have won't really allow me to get everything i want so i was thinking maybe ill go with onboard video for now so i can afford the components that i really want in my computer and ill wait for G92 core or w/e but my question is ..if maybe the x38 boards are out by september, would they have to have some onboard graphics chip like xpress 1100 or w/e for the pc to work or do some mobo's NEED a graphics card for the pc to work just since it has no onboard video at all. dumb question, i hope you all have answers :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Some chipsets have the option for onboard graphics. the G965 has some Intel graphics chipset on it while the P965 did not. Now, if you want to do some overclocking at all most of the boards that clock well do not have onboard graphics. I'd just keep saving and checking out the forums and different tech sites and pick what you want. Price each piece out and save for that amount. There is a good chance that when new products are released there will be something in the same exact price range. If you cannot wait you could always get a cheap PCI graphics card to hold you over.

Unless you're a gamer in which case I'd just keep saving.

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
hmm thanks for the quick reply..i was thinking maybe just buying an ati 2400xt for a x38 or something just to keep me happy until G92 releases...the 2400xt should be sufficient enough to play css and wow at relatively high settings while still getting a good frame rate (60+ AT LEAST) as long as it's alongside a q6600, maybe 4gb's of ram (2 for sure) wouldn't it? Because I don't want to buy some mobo just because it has onboard graphics whereas i could by a much better mobo for gaming that doesnt include onboard graphics. thannks

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: gtsing
hmm thanks for the quick reply..i was thinking maybe just buying an ati 2400xt for a x38 or something just to keep me happy until G92 releases...the 2400xt should be sufficient enough to play css and wow at relatively high settings while still getting a good frame rate (60+ AT LEAST) as long as it's alongside a q6600, maybe 4gb's of ram (2 for sure) wouldn't it? Because I don't want to buy some mobo just because it has onboard graphics whereas i could by a much better mobo for gaming that doesnt include onboard graphics. thannks

pretty much yes.

That sounds like a good idea. The P35 chipset is very good so it's not necessary to wait for x38 IMO, unless you're hoping for official SLI support which may or may not come.

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
hmm well i'm buying it in september anyways (idk early, mid, or late) so, unless the x38 boards get totally delayed, i'd have a chance to look at both the boards and compare which is best for me. thanks for the help.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: gtsing
hmm well i'm buying it in september anyways (idk early, mid, or late) so, unless the x38 boards get totally delayed, i'd have a chance to look at both the boards and compare which is best for me. thanks for the help.

ahh I see then yes there should be a few x38 boards out there, but expect to pay a premium over the P35 boards just like most 975x boards were more expensive than P965.