Motherboards and LEDs

Feb 19, 2001
Seems like this is all the rage now as I came from an era before LEDs were even stanard (X58, Z77). With that said, I'm grateful ASUS' taste isn't too bad as the Maximus IX Hero has a relatively subtle profile.

Meanwhile I noticed my 1060GTX from Gigabyte also has LEDs with the side lighting up. I notice both my motherboard and graphics card basically cycle through the colors of the rainbow but they aren't synced at all.

In my reading it sounds like all these motherboards have their own syncing technologies (ASUS' AuraSync, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync). Are these just incompatible with other peripherals? So if I have an ASUS motherboard it sounds like my Gigabyte graphics card can't sync up? Ultimately at the end of the day it's not a huge deal because my case has no window, but it'd be nice to have them running the same pattern.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I usually look for one setting - off. I do have some uv led but they're off more than on. I do have some RGB here that I can set up for different colors based on temp sensors for a quick visual (usually only if I'm stressing the computer).

Reactions: bigboxes

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
While i have 2 case fans with LED and i just bought a tempered glass case i would say i taste is for low profile lighting. I like to see some but nothing bright and distracting. I know i would get sick of that but a dim ambient light is okay.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Aura has the broadest compatibility, but for many parts and peripherals you have to use different software. My GPU uses Precision XOC, my motherboard Aura, and if I had an RGB keyboard it would likely use its own, as well.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
That's why I prefer adding my own LEDs. I can choose where they go and what I want to highlight.