Motherboard with missing pins

ganons

Jul 20, 2015
So I took a chance and bought an untested Asus Maximus Impact VI from ebay, the seller didnt mention anything about missing pins only that its untested/not working for parts. Apparently its a customer return. Im not sure what all of these pins are for yet (will read the manual and see a few vids) but here are the photos marked by blue squares where they are missing. The cpu socket seems fine. Question is, are every single pins needed for it to work? I take it this wont be covered by Asus warranty?

IMG_20150801_150344.jpg

IMG_20150801_152230.jpg

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think it's good that you're inspecting the pinouts on a newly-acquired motherboard before going forward.

One of the snaps you posted shows a USB port with a missing pin -- which is normal. Another shows a rose-colored socket I'm not immediately familiar with.

Another shows what looks like the pinouts for connections to the case: HD-LED, Reset, Power, Power-LED, etc. As I recall, you'll always find "missing pins" on those two rows.

But this is a common feature. If a port has 20 pins, it only connects to 19. If it has 10, there are only 9 connections.

To satisfy yourself, I suggest looking at the manual, at the cable-plugs and so on.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The missing pins in the photos are to encourage proper orientation of the connectors. As Bonzai says, it is intentional.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The rose colored connector is a header for USB 3 to the case.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
We all started somewhere, no need to be a smart*ss...

Philly works hard. Like me, his people skills may come up a bit short, and my guess without going into it further -- it has cost both of us, in real US dollars.

The OP's post statistics show him new to the forums, and his questions indeed suggest he may be a bit new to "da bidnis." Maybe kid gloves are the smart strategy. But I think we've answered his question.