May 3, 2019
I'm in the early hours of a new build.
Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI B450 Tomahawk
16GB 3000
Radeon Vega 64
Corsair AX850 PSU
ADATA 512GB SSD

I'm reusing the Vega 64 and the PSU. Neither had whine issues in my other system.
I've experienced coil whine before but under any GPU load things get... tense. The range in tones is from beeps to buzzes.
I used a paper towel roll do try to isolate the location and I've come up with- about the pci slot-ish or possibly from under the northbridge housing too.

Since I feel it's logical to rule out the PSU and GPU could a motherboard really generate that much noise? I know sometimes it's luck of the draw but at what point does it become a defect? I can return it for a refund and try a new board or I can get a replacement. Does anyone think it would actually improve?

Possibly unrelated and scary events:
The exact scenario is that when I launch Subnautica the GPU kicks on and the buzz starts. There is rendering in the menu so it stays at about half whine there. When I go to load the map it takes on the pattern of the files loading and I notice a faint dimming of the screen matching the file loading/buzzing.

The monitor didn't do that on my last build and I don't suspect it of any failures either. But... only the monitor's own power can cause that type of dimming right? But why would it sync with the files/whine?

inb4 "they just do that"

EDIT: I just noticed that if I set the lights on the cooler (H100i RGB) to rotate it will chirp with the rotation of the lights but stay quiet on solid colors. Also, mouse scrolling causes it to whine too.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you using a DisplayPort cable to connect the monitor? Is is strictly VESA-compliant (does NOT pass voltage on pin 19)? If so, and not strictly VESA compliant, that could be an issue, I don't know if that's YOUR issue, although the monitor dimming at times like that could be related to video cable issues.

May 3, 2019
Thank you for your response.

I'm currently using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7YV4BR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However the cable I was using before this (and the problem still existed) was the one that came with the video card.

I replaced the motherboard with an MSI X470 and the buzzing is still present and the screen still flickers during map loading. I can get used to the buzzing if (and I said inb4) they just do that.

I know the X470 is basically the same board as the B450 but it has a better layout and there was supposed to be some improvement on the VRM which I was hoping would include some improvements to trickle down and help my graphics. It did not.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't think that the "monitor dimming" is normal at all, btw. That concerns me, especially if you just swapped mobos to an X470, and it's still doing it.

I also don't think that you should immediately rule out the PSU or the GPU, even if they weren't doing that with your older mobo/CPU combo.

Edit: I would try an "Accel" or "Nixus" DisplayPort cable that explicitly calls out "VESA-compliant" support. That DP cable that you bought looks like a cheap Chinese cable, albeit braided for looks.

May 3, 2019
The GPU was bought on ebay so I'm a little nervous to hear you say that.

I'll see what I can find out on a new cable. I bought the braided for it's flexibility. I have my case on a bookshelf and I needed a 90 degree that wouldn't put pressure on the motherboard. It performs as good as the one that came with the card. I'm not saying it isn't junk, just sayin.

I have a spare PCP&C 750W laying around here somewhere. I'll see if that can handle it and report back.

Thanks again for your helpfulness.

May 3, 2019
I put the GPU in another computer and it was fine. No buzz. No dimming. It was flawless.

I put a quite old 750W in the new machine and it did not like that. There was buzzing. There was dimming. It was the same but worse.

I swapped out the power cable to make sure it wasn't that and settled on buying a new PSU. Went with a 1200W since I was planning on crossfire in the not so distant future anyway.

I'll post how it goes because if for some reason it's not the PSU the only link left is that both motherboards are MSI.

May 3, 2019
I installed my new 1200W PSU. Launched Subnautica. There was buzzing and dimming but more faint. Standing still I looked around and frames were anywhere from 70 - 120 fps. I jumped into the water and the system shut off. The only way to turn it back on was to turn the power switch on the PSU on and off again. Did the exact same thing a second time. Jumped into the water and shut down.

I replaced the motherboard, no change.
I upgraded the PSU, still dims and buzzes and now shuts down in game.
I tried my Vega 64 in another computer and it worked fine no buzz or dims.
I tried my old R9 390 in the new machine and it dims the tiniest amount but no power shutoffs.
I tried 2 DP cables.
I tried 2 power cables.

The machine runs cool at 35C.
I have the latest drivers and have all my updates.

Like Virtual Larry said the dimming is concerning. The shutting down is obviously too but I can easily go back to my old PSU and that stops.

I've never been so confused in a build in my life.

Someone wants to sell me a 1080 GTX for $200. I might try that.
Does this sound like bad RAM?
Bad RAM on the GPU maybe?

Right now I could go back to my 850W PSU and ignore the dimming and buzzing. Seems wrong to do but I'm not sure what else to do.

May 3, 2019
Like Virtual Larry said the dimming is concerning. Like I said they just do that.

Turned out to be both. High powered electrical devices make noise and I've encountered it before. It's just a bit louder on this system than I've heard on others. The reason I was concerned about it was the dimming that went with it. That turned out to be a setting on my monitor. There are free-sync basic and free-sync extended options. Extended caused the dimming, basic has no dimming. It explains why the card worked fine elsewhere with no buzzing and why other cards worked ok.

So the lesson is if you have an LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD 144hz FreeSync monitor and you have dimming during map loading it's most likely Extended Mode FreeSync but basic works.

Thank you for your help VirtualLarry.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thank you for your help VirtualLarry.
You're more than welcome, but it seems that you figured it out, not me.

Is it still shutting down, though? Maybe try another GPU? Maybe a GTX 1080 isn't such a bad idea?

Edit: When you say, "your new 1200W PSU", is this PSU brand-new, or just new-to-you, and what is the brand and model, and if not new, age, please?

I hope that you didn't just go out and buy a "1200W" Chinese no-name PSU, thinking that it would fix your problems. You need a decent, QUALITY PSU, Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair, some Enermax, some ThermalTake (highest-end ones), some Antec.

May 3, 2019
My "old" PSU was a Corsair AX850. My "new" (but defective) PSU was a Corsair HX1200i. Both were bought brand new. Switching back to the AX fixed the shutdowns.

I'm can try the GTX 1080 before I buy it since I know them and see if it buzzes. If it doesn't I know it was the Vega 64 and I'll get my money back. (paypal to the rescue) If it still buzzes I know it's the motherboard and I assume normal operation.

The dimming was fixed by turning the monitor setting from extended to basic freesync.

I've been building systems since 1997. The first computer I ever owned was one I built. This build messed with my mind. It seems to be okay now other than the buzzing. (which might not be something to worry about) You were helpful by just letting me bounce this off someone.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, that's very perplexing.

I built a rig a month or two ago, two of them, actually, one in an RGB case, and one not. Both of them had refurb/open-box MSI B350 boards from Newegg, and new DDR4 and new Athlon 200GE APUs.

I overclocked both of them to 3.80Ghz.

On ONE of them (the one in the non-RGB case, thankfully), every time there was a video mode-set over the HDMI cable, to my 4K monitor, there was like 7 bursts of static, then it was fine. It was kind of like the BIOS enumerating the 7-8 HDMI High-Definition Audio Controller channels available, to find out which one the TV/monitor audio was on.

It was really bizarre that it was displaying it as a visual artifact. And it didn't do it in Linux. Just Windows, just that motherboard.

Edit: It wasn't the overclock, either, I tried setting clocks to stock, and not setting XMP, it still did it. Different driver versions didn't seem to help either.

May 3, 2019
A bit of an update. I purchased a new PSU Corsair AX1200i. Works great, stable, no shutdowns. That problem was with that particular HX1200i I was sent. WIth one GPU it's overkill but I'll likely crossfire soon. It didn't help the buzzing at all.

I tried the GTX 1080 I mentioned and it also buzzed. So as odd as it is I can only blame the motherboard, both MSI. I don't know enough to know what is causing it but I ruled out everything else. It's not a bad MB, or broken in any way, it' just a little noisy under GPU load. I'd be interested to know more but I'm not going to return it or anything. It's something I'll have to live with but I do suspect a MB by a different maker might solve it... or inherit a whole different can of worms.

At this point I'm happy knowing nothing is wrong and am enjoying the new build... with the speakers turned up a little extra. =|

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
One thing to try, to reduce the "buzzing", if it happens to be the CPU VRMs, is to increase the LLC / VRM frequency setting, if that's an option in the BIOS. Try something like 1KHz or 3KHz or something.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Weird stuff. And pity about the bad 1200W corsair. I guess sometimes you just get bad parts on arrival. So to clarify, is it the motherboard or card making the buzzing noise? Maybe GPU coil whine?

May 3, 2019
I think calling it GPU coil whine would be the most logical conclusion, but why it does it with both a GTX 1080 and a Vega 64 makes me think motherboard. If it's motherboard why 2 different boards, 2 different chipsets? It's an endless loop.

I stand by corsair products, especially their PSUs. Sometimes you get a defective unit. I didn't think twice about returning it for a replacement. I did use it as an excuse to upgrade to the AX. =P

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So the lesson is if you have an LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD 144hz FreeSync monitor and you have dimming during map loading it's most likely Extended Mode FreeSync but basic works.
Thanks for posting the solution. That is the kind of issue that takes way too long to pinpoint during a troubleshoot. AMD drivers have had some freesync issues reported of late, so it may not be your monitor's fault alone. I would enable extended mode every time I update the drivers and evaluate it.