Motherboard w/ CPU bundles

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Noob question....

When I see these bundles does this mean the CPU is already attached to the motherboard or is it just a "combo" in the pricing sense?

Thanks

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
No. On rare occasion, Newegg will even have incompatible mobo+CPU combos.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

I wonder if they're aware of the issue. Did some manager say "We have too many AMD motherboards and too many Intel processors. Let's bundle them."

jumpncrash

Feb 11, 2010
I wonder if they're aware of the issue. Did some manager say "We have too many AMD motherboards and too many Intel processors. Let's bundle them."

I would expect it's more of an am2 cpu in am3 socket type issue

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
It's for discounts so people buy both. i got me a 4790k for only $300 (including tax) when buying any mobo during a stopover in Tokyo! sweet deal especially since foreigners get tax refunds!

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Microcenter in-store deals are still the best. I paid $279 for my 4790K and also got $40 off the Asus Z97-Pro board I bought with it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

That's pretty bad. It always frustrates me seeing the Z97 board + locked i5/i7 combos on newegg. I'll see this great price for Z97 + i5-4690 and think it said i5-4690k until I click the link.

xLegenday

Nov 2, 2014
Usualy only works in a very specific segment, and more on low end as users are just looking for price and not really for brand, specs. On higher level generaly buyers want to have options.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
At the very low end (1007j ?) for example the cpu is solder into the mb; also there are a few i5/i7 that are solder. I've forgotten the line but they have the faster hd. However generally speaking the bundles are sep components - most common are pentinu 3825 (or was that 3285) which is a very good price/perf processor and (usually some lame) atx mb.
-
However the best deals (as mentioned above) are the microcenter bundles where you can pick your own processor/mb combo and save $40 + microcenter discounted prices on the cpu.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You'll also find "bundles" coming from less-well-known resellers at E-Bay for older processors, sockets and motherboards.

I would think the EOQ policies of resellers try to reduce surplus inventories of products, but the big boys all have warehouses and inventories. One might think that surplus inventories are more of a problem for the small players.

So I've even seen brand-new retail-box Sandy processors bundled with brand-new P67 and "non-Z" boards in recent weeks. "Memory-4-Less" was also offering a processor bundled with Intel Cherryville SSDs.

And what you find with these older models in bundles: Once you're no longer able to find a certain processor by itself at the Egg or Directron -- knowing that retail-box prices were always set by Intel -- the bundle prices can seem absurd. You might find a $350 Intel processor bundled with a $150 board for prices exceeding $570.

For new models, I can only pay attention to a "bundle" bargain if the items were in my initial build-list. I won't build a more expensive system with a motherboard not shown to be especially worthy in reviews, so I won't accept a bundle of anything less than parts I would prefer otherwise.

Now if it's a "low-end" system-build I'm pursuing -- say, for a family-member who doesn't game or benchmark -- when the user's existing system has "gone south" with no good parts replacement prospects, then -- sure -- I'll jump on a reasonably good bundle to finish the job.