Motherboard temp and "case temp probe" disagree. CPU frying?!

jpinard

Nov 22, 2003
OK, I have an AMD64 FX-53 prcoessor and I just upgraded to an Asus A8R-MVP motherboard and started using the Zalman CNPS9500 LED heatsink/cooler. (I also installed an ATI X1900XT).

For the first time I did not uyse Arctic Silver 5, and used Zalman's included grease. Now this design has heatpipes that go direct from a copper base into a flower design. I tested for heat using PC Probe 2 and running Prime95 torture test it never exceeded 43 Celcius. I was happy. So I'm testing my rig (and it's not posting the best scores as I haven't tuned the BIOS yet), and stuck one of my case's wire thermal probes to the copper base. I didn't do it because I was concerned, I just stuck it on. Well in stress testing again it said 62 Celcius!!! EEK! in the 3dMark 2003 cpu test my processor sounded a tiny bit strained yet Asus's PC Pobe only showed 43 degrees Celsius. I am now terrified I may have hurt my processor... During the stress test (case is open) the copper fins and heatpipes are cool to the touch, but the copper plate is hot. I have no idea what to believe.

The probe from my case is underneathe that copper ledge next to the screw. Here's a stock picture:

Please help - I need some expert advice before I go on testing.

http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews...ir/heatsinks/zalman/cnps9500/pipe1.jpg

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
62C is not that bad for a 130nm chip. It is hotter than what it should be but I dont think its in the danger territory. That said, are you sure your Heatsink is properly installed? What are your BIOS temperatures? I'd try reseating the heatsink and applying a bit of thermal paste (using too much actually increases temperatures).

jpinard

Nov 22, 2003
See that's the problem. BIOS says it's only 43C at full load -where-as a case probe says mid 60's. I'm afraid... I'd assume the BIOS is reporting right... but what if it's not? If the BIOS is somehow wrong I'll fry my cpu. But then again if I'd never stuck probe way in there, I'd never have known the difference. Could the heatsink/fan be that effective? That by the time it hits the bottom of the heatpipes it's dissipated almost all the heat?

jpinard

Nov 22, 2003
OK I feel like a moron. It was my video card temp and not my cpu temp. And here I thought I worked better at night :)

So is 64C too hot for the outside of the video card heatsink? It's the ATI X1900XT

pulsedrive

Apr 19, 2005
no, that is a perfectly normal temp for a high end video card, my 7800gtx gets up to about 74 under load.

jpinard

Nov 22, 2003
Originally posted by: pulsedrive
no, that is a perfectly normal temp for a high end video card, my 7800gtx gets up to about 74 under load.

OK thanks. In your profile you have this: 2005FPW + E193FP...... what is that?