motherboard starts whining after clearing CMOS and installing SSD

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
the 2 things in the title are the only changes.

Here's how it goes:
1. it whines when the browser is open or if I run an HDD benchmark
2. the whine stops if I run SuperPi while the browser is running
3. reading PDF and using word doesn't cause whistling
4. skype causes whistle when in a conversation
5. sometimes it stops even while using firefox, the sound is a continous whine, except when I start the computer where it's a bit more creative for a few seconds.

I'm thinking it's the motherboard because it's not the SSD for sure and I don't see why the other components would start being noisy now since they're unvariated.

I can't see any coils on this thing, but there are several heatsinks on the mobo.

Specs:
Corsair TX650
Asus P7P55D
Gainward GTX 275
2x2gb kingston hyperx DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24@1.65V
Samsung SSD 840 EVO
Samsung HD502HJ
Intel i5 750 2.67GHz

Warranty has expired and I don't want to change the computer but maybe you'll find the relation between software and noise interesting, or maybe there's some voltage setting that I can change to make it stop.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Is the whine through the speakers or coming from inside the case?

What makes you think it is the motherboard itself?

If you remove the SSD, does the whining stop?

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
inside the case, I'm sure it's not the SSD because I tried two of them, and the graphic card has no reason to start whining right now, but the motherboard had various changes applied to it (addition of a SATA device and cmos clear, so voltage changes).
I don't think it's the PSU because the sound comes from the area covered by the big square heatsink:
SXFrNPSjgrLty63o_500.jpg

The sound is clearly coming from the case, the speakers can be turned on, off, the noise is there, and it's localized inside the case to a specific area. And through the in-ear headphones I hear no noise even if I blast the volume.

I haven't tried removing the SSD because I have no OS on the other disk and the sound doesn't start until I load windows.

pctestcardscom

Aug 19, 2013
Both PSU and CPU Fans need to be checked.

May try reseat all parts and change the FAN if possible.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.