Question Motherboard replacement. Do I need to install Windows again?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Sent my Aorus Z390 board for RMA I am going to be getting a replacement of the same motherboard I sent in. I believe this one will be refurbished but it's the same exact model I had Z390 Aorus PRO.

Anyway it's getting here next week. Will I have to install Windows again?

Was Hoping I wouldn't have to reformat my HDD.

Thanks in advance

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If you hook up everything exactly like it was in the old setup (i.e. graphics card in same slot, SATA cables to same ports, NVMe drives to same port, etc.) if the Windows install wasn't damaged in the prior failure it ought to boot right up just like it did on the old board. You could have to reactivate Windows (since you replaced the motherboard), but since the rest of the hardware profile is exactly the same you might even avoid having to do that.

I wouldn't even go there worrying about what might happen until you get the board and install it. Worst case, if it doesn't work, you just troubleshoot it like you would any other hardware or Windows problem.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
If you hook up everything exactly like it was in the old setup (i.e. graphics card in same slot, SATA cables to same ports, NVMe drives to same port, etc.) if the Windows install wasn't damaged in the prior failure it ought to boot right up just like it did on the old board. You could have to reactivate Windows (since you replaced the motherboard), but since the rest of the hardware profile is exactly the same you might even avoid having to do that.

I wouldn't even go there worrying about what might happen until you get the board and install it. Worst case, if it doesn't work, you just troubleshoot it like you would any other hardware or Windows problem.
I know just hoping for the best. Appreciate the input. Just dreading having to install almost 2TB of games and files.

You right tho will see how it goes when it arrives next week. 3 weeks without my PC is way too long. Ready to do some gaming. Haha

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Windows 10 seems to do a better job of handling hardware changes than prior versions.

Went from an Intel i5 system to an AMD Ryzen 3700x a few weeks ago. Tried booting up from the legacy computer just to see if it would work.

Worked like a charm. Once the system proved to be stable with some benchmarking and stress testing, I cloned the SATA SSD to an NVMe drive.

Had to use the troubleshooter to get the retail copy of Windows to activate.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
When I swapped my Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi for a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master all I did was remove all Asus software and windows transitioned without incident. My Office install didn't fare so well and deactivated. MS was kind enough to let me know that I'd reached 25 activations and told me that they couldn't reactivate it.

Jumped to 365 instead of buying another standalone version which would do the same thing. FYI each time you repair a nonfunctioning office they count it as an activation. I'll never buy their standalone software again.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I received word from Asus that my rma motherboard was irreparably damaged by USPS so I had to file a claim with them. Glad I opted for $400 in insurance for it.

Attachments

• K8M0KS0321052KE (002).jpg
    K8M0KS0321052KE (002).jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: mikeymikec

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I received word from Asus that my rma motherboard was irreparably damaged by USPS so I had to file a claim with them. Glad I opted for $400 in insurance for it.

I would not ship anything important with USPS, and if I did I would insure it to the gills. 15 years ago, it was safe. Now? I'm literally lucky to get my bills each month in time to pay them (the ones that have no electronic delivery option), and don't get me started about their package delivery (Note: if anybody ever has a problem with USPS mis-delivering packages, I found out from first hand experience they started keeping GPS delivery coordinates for every package they deliver due to the problems they have - it might not get your package back, but at least they know where their idiots left it).

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That sucks. You're probably going to need a new os key, unless you have a retail key.
When I swapped in my Gigabyte board to rma that one windows didn't miss a beat. It was Office that deactivated and told me that I'd exceeded 25 activations. Why would office care if I swapped a mb out?

FWIW even a repair to the install is considered an install so I just went ahead and moved to 365 so I don't have to worry about that bs anymore.