Motherboard/PSU killing my CPU's?

LordCodeman

Nov 19, 2006
Hi. I'll give my necessary system specs first:

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz and Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (both Northwood)
Abit BE7

Basically, a number of months ago I started having problems with my first CPU (the 2.4 GHz P4) overheating. It would hover in the 50-60 degree range, and would routinely get up to the maximum temperature I have set in the BIOS (68). It would give me a two-tone siren beep from the speaker when it did this. It did this everyday, sometimes until I opened up the case. I ignored the problem (stupid, I know). I had checked the hsf several times and it always seemed to make good contact with the cpu. Well, a month ago, I started being unable to get the computer to boot up. I'd turn it on, the fans would come on, the hd's, cdrom/dvd drives, ect. But no image would ever appear on the screen, and I would never get the single beep telling me everything is okay (I have AwardBIOS). Instead, it would just hang and do nothing for a good minute, then start the siren beep. So I thought okay, the cpu is dead from the excessive heat.

So I go out and get a new P4 2.8 GHz and a new HSF. Well, it ran for a few hours, at temperatures about 10 degrees less than the other cpu. But then after I turned it off for a couple hours and came back to it (in the same day), it booted up once, and gave me the two tone siren, so I rebooted, and it started doing the same thing the other processor did when it finally bit the dust. No monitor image, and the computer just hangs. I really can't figure it out, considering it never even got hot. Only about 50 degrees at most. One thing I did notice though, was that the hardware monitor software I used when it did work (Winbond I believe it was called), was warning me about a voltage called vbat being too high. All the other voltages, including the core voltage, were normal (but vcore was slightly under the processor specs of 1.525; it was at around 1.46-1.48 or so). I really have nothing else to go by. Other people tell me it could be the motherboard or PSU not regulating power to the CPU correctly. But why wouldn't the hardware monitor show the high voltages, besides the vbat? Also, remember temps were normal. Theres no capacitors that seem damaged or bloated, and everything else seems ok (ram, video card, power cables, hd cables, ect).

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Try using another PSU. It's possible that the other processor IS still good, and the time it took you to swap out processors just gave the PSU some extra time to recover (hence it worked for another day).

If that doesn't work, get rid of that motherboard immediately.

LordCodeman

Nov 19, 2006
Actually, it was about four weeks from the time my first cpu stopped working and when I bought and installed the second one. I tried it many times during that time and it never worked. Then the new one worked that one day.