Motherboard not detecting hard drive

Onehate

Mar 25, 2011
I have an MSI B350M Pro-VDH and have a Ryzen 3 1200. I am building this as a file server and have been trying to add a western digital 10 TB hard drive. I cannot get windows or the UEFI to read the hard drive. I have traded mutliple SATA and power cables, with no luck. I have also added other smaller hard drives and they are detected in both, UEFI and in Windows. I have also attached the hard drive in as a usb drive and it does read the drive over USB. Also my desktop has had no issues reading the drive, and I have done quite abit of various hard drive testing tools on it and the hard drive shows as 100% green and working properly.

Was hoping someone here might have some useful suggestions here, as I would rather have the drive attached inside the case then as a USB drive.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You do know about the +3.3V signal being used as a "power-off" feature, on newer SATA (larger capacity) HDDs, right? Try it powered by a molex-to-SATA power adapter.

If the drive reads in a USB enclosure, it's not dead.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I had such a problem. I don't remember the exact fix, but something like enabling AHCI or UEFI or something. Maybe setting a compatability mode ? I forget now, but it sooms more normal on todays motherboards.

Also, be sure secure boot is disabled. The only way to do that is to delete all the keys.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Have you flashed the bios ?Have you tried another drive of similar size ? I would contact support on that issue.

Onehate

Mar 25, 2011
You do know about the +3.3V signal being used as a "power-off" feature, on newer SATA (larger capacity) HDDs, right? Try it powered by a molex-to-SATA power adapter.

If the drive reads in a USB enclosure, it's not dead.
Cheers on that, the molex cable worked!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, figured it was probably that, if it was detecting OK in a USB enclosure.

On a modern UEFI BIOS, there really aren't any "obvious" drive capacity limitations anymore. (You did need UEFI support for drives, to BOOT off of drives larger than 2TB. That's an old issue now, and I'm not aware of any new capacity-limitation issues, other than perhaps form field entry limitation on the total size of RAID arrays using a RAID text GUI BIOS. Had that happen a while back, very frustrating.)