Motherboard light on, however computer will not turn on

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
well, i have an antec truepower 430 and i turn on the computer with the power switch on the power supply and the case fans spin for a second, then the unit won't turn on. I haven't inserted all the leads since I'm really not sure how to do it, as the colors from the case don't match with the motherboard.

Also, since I wanted to remove the motherboard, I was trying to remove the CPU heatsink, but I couldn't remove it for some reason. It is the stock retail heatsink. Please help!

Thanks,
Kishan

EDIT: POSITIVE IT IS NOT A LEAD ISSUE! just played around with it, and it cannot be the lead.

oakley

Nov 20, 2004
are you just building this? if not what happened the last time it was shut off. i was having the same problem with a system i just built. turned out the video card was causing the problem. after i replaced it . the pc booted fine. i have herd ram can cause this problem aswell.

the heatsink may be stuck with thermal compound, try rotating it

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: KPSHAH316
well, i have an antec truepower 430 and i turn on the computer with the power switch on the power supply and the case fans spin for a second, then the unit won't turn on. I haven't inserted all the leads since I'm really not sure how to do it, as the colors from the case don't match with the motherboard.

Also, since I wanted to remove the motherboard, I was trying to remove the CPU heatsink, but I couldn't remove it for some reason. It is the stock retail heatsink. Please help!

Thanks,
Kishan

The PSU won't turn on unless it's plugged into the motherboard. If you want to see if it'll power up without plugging it into anything, you need to short two of the pins with a paper clip or the like (just search and I'm sure you'll find instructions).

There's not a whole lot to do in terms of plugging things in; you have to plug in the 20-pin ATX connector, and probably the 4-pin auxiliary 12V on the motherboard (I think the K8V takes that). Everything else is just off of regular molex connectors.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: oakley
are you just building this? if not what happened the last time it was shut off. i was having the same problem with a system i just built. turned out the video card was causing the problem. after i replaced it . the pc booted fine. i have herd ram can cause this problem aswell.

the heatsink may be stuck with thermal compound, try rotating it

I got new RAM-Corsair XMS PC 3200 512MBx2/Graphics Card BFG 6800 OC/and a new hard drive 200GB Seagate IDE. I can't take off the heatsink though! So i may have plugged in the leads right, but it still may not turn on

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Matthias99

Thanks,
Kishan

The PSU won't turn on unless it's plugged into the motherboard. If you want to see if it'll power up without plugging it into anything, you need to short two of the pins with a paper clip or the like (just search and I'm sure you'll find instructions).

There's not a whole lot to do in terms of plugging things in; you have to plug in the 20-pin ATX connector, and probably the 4-pin auxiliary 12V on the motherboard (I think the K8V takes that). Everything else is just off of regular molex connectors.

Thank you for responding, The auxilary 4pin 12 volt is plugged in, as well as the 20pin connector. The green light on the motherboard is ON, indicating the mobo has power.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
the lead is in the correct position now, however the green light on the power supply stays on, but the computer will not start up. Could the motherboard be shorting out or something?

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Is your power switch lead on your case connected properly to the mobo? Maybe you have it reversed or switched with the reset button.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Rike
Is your power switch lead on your case connected properly to the mobo? Maybe you have it reversed or switched with the reset button.

I have only connected the power switch since I just want this thing to power up for now! And yes, it says power switch on the lead itself:)

EDIT: POSITIVE IT IS NOT A LEAD ISSUE-just played around with the lead and it is in the right area.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004

I have only connected the power switch since I just want this thing to power up for now! And yes, it says power switch on the lead itself:)

EDIT: POSITIVE IT IS NOT A LEAD ISSUE-just played around with the lead and it is in the right area.
Dang it. I was hoping for something easy. :( But it never is the easy thing is it? Time for an RMA?

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004

Dang it. I was hoping for something easy. :( But it never is the easy thing is it? Time for an RMA?

RMA what though, since I RMAed the graphics card, memory, and bought a new hard drive. I would like to RMA the mobo, but I can't get the cpu out!

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Try it outside of the case, so you can be sure it's not grounding out? And turn it on by shorting the power pins with a screwdriver or something to ensure you don't have a faulty power button.