Motherboard killing video cards?

sigian

Nov 6, 2010
Can a motherboard kill a video card? Sorry if its a little long, trying to explain everything that has happened so far.

About 5 months ago I replaced my motherboard with the same make/model, because it ran great, and figured why should I change anything unless I planned on upgrading. Old board died and would only give the ole DFI 8.8 error code no matter what combination I tried swapping hardware around.

So then my video card started giving me issues, CTD, BSOD, artifacts (lines/dots all over screen) and then it finally died, no video signal, bad vid card readout on mobo. Thought I was out of luck but turns out it was under warranty still, so first RMA (took almost a month), same video card, few months newer. Started again with the same crashing, artifacts, then it died as well. My backup that I use while RMA'n an old but reliable x1950xt is even giving me problems now.

So right now, I'm on I think my 3rd RMA, finally told ATI hey, warranty is almost up, what are ya gonna do, so they are sending me a 5870 1Gb this time. Kind of afraid that its my motherboard killing the video card since its the only different part in the equation and I have checked everything else I can think of. Though I have heard the 4870x2 2Gb do have ram issues.

Anything else I could be missing? PSU is putting out the right amount, RAM is stable and runs great, cpu has no issues at all.

System info:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition @ 3600
G.Skill 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2 1066
DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RSH
ABS Tagan BZ Series 700W PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870x2 2Gb 512-bit

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It would seem to be more likely that the PSU is killing them, as opposed to the mobo.

I assume that you've checked the PCI-E voltage setting in the BIOS?

sigian

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, all the voltages seemed fine, and set properly. Thought of the PSU after the first card died and even checked it with a multimeter.

Just strange it ran great for 1.5 years, then as soon as the board gets swapped out I go through 3 cards. I've tried both PCI-E slots as well to no avail, same thing happens.

Like I said, I've read numerous threads about issues with the ram on the 4870x2's and figured that to be the issue, but at the moment I'm running my backup card (x1950xt) and its starting with the same problems as the other cards.

Just don't feel like getting a new 5870 and seeing it die as well, would prefer not to even plug it in until I know for sure what the issue is. Anything else I could check?

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
A new board is alot cheaper than your video card... :thumbsup: Just real strange to swap the board and 3 video cards bite the dust...? Honestly I would swap the PS also...

sigian

Nov 6, 2010

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Motherboard I really doubt is the issue. There is nothing that a motherboard does that would cause a card to fail. All the power is supplied by the PSU and what voltages exist from the chipsets on the board for address lines and the bus exist in such tight tolerances that if it went high enough to actually damage the card the motherboard would never work again.

I suspect if the PSU is good you got some cooling or possible noise on your power lines. Any new appliances installed in the home or having problems with anything connected to the home that uses a motor or compressor ?

sigian

Nov 6, 2010
Nothing new inside, though recent changes by the electric company of a digital meter and new transformer on the pole outside a few months back.

Seems every time there is a storm the power goes out now, lived in this house for almost 11 years and that's new.

Computer stays on 24/7 pretty much, should that be something I look into, power coming into the house itself?

sigian

Nov 6, 2010
Noticed something strange, still running the old x1950xt, 5870 is still en route and won't have it till the 15th.

Well, I was running OCCT to check voltages (yes I know software isn't the best way to go about that) but anyway, I noticed the clocks on the card stayed at idle GPU 500Mhz and Mem 594Mhz, where they are supposed to be GPU 625Mhz and Mem 725Mhz under load.

Card was heating up, fans speeding up, 99% CPU/GPU load, but still stayed at idle speeds, could that be an issue causing the cards to die? Possibly software/driver related?

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
Well, I was running OCCT to check voltages (yes I know software isn't the best way to go about that) but anyway, I noticed the clocks on the card stayed at idle GPU 500Mhz and Mem 594Mhz, where they are supposed to be GPU 625Mhz and Mem 725Mhz under load.

I can't remember but I don't think those cards even have the ability to clock up/down based on load.

I wouldn't touch any of those even if they were given to me for free.

Corsair AX850 - $185 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...orsair%20ax850

Seems every time there is a storm the power goes out now, lived in this house for almost 11 years and that's new.

If you have power issues I would pick up decent UPS for around $100.

sigian

Nov 6, 2010
Checked PSU with multimeter, at idle and under load, maybe a 1-2% change if that in voltages on the rails, well under 5%.

Plus along what Model said, if the PSU actually were killing the video card, it most likely wouldn't just be the video card that is dead.

Think the 1950xt was just a driver issue, always hated catalyst.

Temps are fine, ran OCCT for an hour, cpu didn't go above 44C, voltages stayed steady.

Been thinking about a UPS just because of the brown outs and outages during storms.

If it were a burnt out PCIe slot, then it wouldn't work at all.

Maybe it was just dumb luck, first 4870x2 was almost 2 years old, RMA was refurb, and from what I've read its known they have issues with memory overheating and frying.

Just trying to cover all bases so I don't fry a 5870 I guess lol.