Motherboard issue, screen freezing, advice on new replacement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnorin

Nov 4, 2013
Fingers crossed. It had been a while since buying a new heatsink, and the evo was really amazing for me. In the past, I spent almost twice as much for something twice as heavy, and they didn't give me the performance of the evo. I almost wanted to put the evo on my Q6600 to see what the improvements would have been (going from a thermalright xp90), but in the end I decided that it really didn't matter enough to take the time. I don't think you can beat this thing for the money (at least as of a year ago).

Got the Evo 212 yesterday. Bought an additional fan, which runs fine at ~1800 RPM. Fan that it came with however only runs at 500 RPM and I can't get it to go any faster. I tried the 500 RPM fan alone on multiple fan ports, and it won't go any higher. 1800 RPM fan is fine though. CPU temperatures idle at around 18~22C, and only go up to ~26C under heavy load. Great purchase.

However...back on topic, instead of my computer freezing, I now run into this issue after the computer running for a while:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/835abkwnu7ce0pk/VID_20131109_220539.mp4

Afterwards, the PC hangs, freezes, and I cry myself to sleep. Only option here is to wipe or purchase a new hard drive at this point.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The fan that comes with it is PWM, so the Asus software should give you the fan control you want. The base settings will keep it barely audible at idle and light load, which is what I like. I have mine tuned a little bit so that it will raise speed a bit faster than stock, but that is mainly personal preference.

The mouse issue is quite odd. Without knowing your system, I do have a guess - memory. An easy test would be to add .1 volts to your memory and see if the problem clears up. What speed are you running the memory at?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Also, if you have not updated to the latest BIOS, I suggest you do so. There are two updates this year alone for improving system stability (there were eight last year). Of course, they don't go into detail, so we can only hope this will have a positive effect for your issues.

dnorin

Nov 4, 2013
Also, if you have not updated to the latest BIOS, I suggest you do so. There are two updates this year alone for improving system stability (there were eight last year). Of course, they don't go into detail, so we can only hope this will have a positive effect for your issues.

I did a BIOS flash as soon as I installed it. I'm going to see if I can increase the fan speed right now, because the fan goes no higher than 500~600 RPM, and gives off CPU fan errors in the BIOS for at such an RPM.

I'll try adding .1 volt to the memory now; the PC hasn't crashed yet today thankfully, but we'll see if it maintains the life at least.

Again, I'll check if the timings are the same as well. (this is my RAM): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220558

---
Just went into BIOS. I can't change the voltage of the DRAM, but it does say that its running at 1.65V, while the newegg post suggests that its 1.5V. May this be a cause of some of the problems? The timings are all correct.

dnorin

Nov 4, 2013
I didn't know that I had to create an XMP profile to edit my DRAM voltages. After some research, I learned how to edit the voltage in Asus's UEFI BIOS, and I set my DRAM to 1.5V as suggested by Patriot.

So far no crashes, but will keep posted if any problems occur.

Lesson of this thread:
1. Make sure RAM timings, voltage is correct. Higher voltage than recommended for your RAM will cause your PC to crash/freeze under heavy RAM load.
2. Setting global settings in Nvidia's Control Panel to higher than normal settings affects/crashes programs such as Chrome, Photoshop, etc.
3. Make sure to keep consistent backups.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So glad to hear the crashing has stopped. So do you still think there was a problem with the original board?