Motherboard Clicking Noise

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005
Ok I have a strange problem but have found a few others with similar issues. When I play a game that puts load on the gpu there is a loud fast clicking noise coming from my mobo. Its not a fan and not the video card because I just replaced it and the noise persists. I think it must be a component on the mobo that makes the noise when the pcie port is under heavy use. I could not find any parts that are vibrating and otherwise my system seems fine.

Here are the specs:
ASRock P43Twins1600
EVGA 9600GT
NeoHE 500w
Q6600
8GB OCZ Gold
500GB Seagate SATA

Thanks,
Jacc1234

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Not sure actualy. Mine did it too with my x1900xt. It clicks for every updated frame. at 60fps it isnt so bad, but when it diped down to like 15 it made me crazy. I dont remember if I just got used to it, or what but i have a new card now and it doesnt do it. So it could be the card, or the PSU or a combination. Try using a differant video card that doesnt take its own power line from the PSU, or a differant PSU.

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005
I replaced the videocard with a new one yesterday and the noise persisted. I am going to try to replace the psu tonight but the one I am currently using is a better unit. I will keep the thread updated with what happens.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jacc1234
I replaced the videocard with a new one yesterday and the noise persisted. I am going to try to replace the psu tonight but the one I am currently using is a better unit. I will keep the thread updated with what happens.

By any chance do you have a fan on your southbridge?

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
I doubt its the fan, but im not with the OP listening to his system. On mine it would change with framerate. Thus lead me to believe the GPU was sucking power from the PSU at every refreash and the PSU was making a click.

My old PSU didnt do it either, my new one did on the card i mentioned. Not anymore though. Im not sure whats to blame, but the sound was comeing from the PSU.

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005
Ok I tried to change the PSU last night and could not get it to turn on. This PSU was from my old rig and was working fine last week. This morning I put the new one back in and went to turn on my system, and was treated to the sickening smell of burning plastic!! I quickly turned off my system and the smell seemed to be emanating from the HDD. I know for sure its toast but have no idea about the other components. Either way the Mobo and PSU are gone! I am RMAing the PSU to buy.com if possible and will be buying a new one today. I have no idea what was going on but this is the first time anything like this has happened to me and this is around my 20th build. I just hope the rest of my components are not effected.

And no there is no fan on the southbridge.

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Sounds like that PSU was a deathtrap. PSU is the most important part of a build! Dont be cheap!

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005
I was not cheap with my PSU, look at my original post. I had a Antec NeoHE PSU. So my new build has a OCZ psu and GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L mobo but guess what......i think im going crazy but there is an electrical hiss this time! Its very quiet but I can hear it. I see that some people say it happens and is a non issue so im going to live with it. I have suspected that possibly I have dirty power but I ran it both on and off a UPS with the same issue. The noise gets louder as I oc the board so im going to keep it at stock for now. I have never had issues like this with any builds so I don't really know whats going on. :(