Question Motherboard choice for Ryzen 9 3900X build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I know that right now isn't the best time to purchase new computer equipment since a lot of stuff is out of stock. But this is the time that my wife finally said I can do it, so I want to try to get everything sorted before she changes her mind. ;)

I am putting together a Ryzen 9 3900X system that will mostly be used for distributed computing projects and light gaming. I have no plans to overclock the system since longevity and stability are more important than squeezing out a little bit more performance.

I already have most of the components ordered, and had decided on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite motherboard. I even had one in my cart at NewEgg a few days ago but I didn't order it fast enough while buying the other parts and it has been out of stock there and everywhere else since then. My second choice, the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus is also out of stock everywhere. I don't mind waiting another week or so if there's any real chance of these being in stock soon, but don't want to wait too long or I'll be past the return window in case anything is DOA...

I do see a few boards in stock closer to $300 (Taichi X570 and X570 Aorus Ultra) but that's a bit more than I'd prefer to spend unless there aren't any other good options, or if one of those is enough better that it's worth the additional cost.

I had a recommendation from someone to get the Asrock Taichi X470 (NewEgg has it for $209 currently). The specs seem OK, but I'm nervous that the board will ship with a BIOS incompatible with the Ryzen 9 and I'll have no way to update it.

The MSI Tomahawk X570 is supposedly "coming soon", but has been that way since around January with no updates that I can find. If it is truly coming soon, it could be worth waiting for, but waiting too long again puts me in the potential situation of having DOA parts that I can't test before the return window ends.

Please help me decide what to do. :)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Unfortunately, the current crisis is causing all kinds of stocking issues. This is really a bad time for this. If stability is important then you are looking at $300+ boards. Cheaper boards do have trade offs. Perhaps EBAY might be a viable option.

Even the board I use, Asus Prime X570-P is getting very hard to find according to other posters.

If you do find something viable, let us know.

Good luck, my friend.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, the X570 Taichi has gone out of stock at NewEgg now (except for a high priced scalper). A scalper on NewEgg has your Asus Prime X570-P, but for almost twice the normal price..

So the question has narrowed a bit to getting the X470 Taichi for $209 or Aorus Ultra X570 for $296, or just wait and see if anything gets back in stock before those two go out of stock as well.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Well, the X570 Taichi has gone out of stock at NewEgg now (except for a high priced scalper). A scalper on NewEgg has your Asus Prime X570-P, but for almost twice the normal price..

So the question has narrowed a bit to getting the X470 Taichi for $209 or Aorus Ultra X570 for $296, or just wait and see if anything gets back in stock before those two go out of stock as well.
patience might be the best approach.

I just checked Ebay and there are a number of decent boards available. Even a used Auorus Master for auction.

Sometimes Amazon has good deals from time to time.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Too many bad experiences with eBay. I don't want to buy any parts there, new or used..

Amazon list prices are good for motherboards, but they are all out of stock with no new stock dates listed except one that I found that said it might be back in June. I don't want to wait that long. :(

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi is in stock at Best Buy right now for $189. Give me a reason not to buy it. ;)

It's a really close second to the Aorus Elite in a lot of reviews so I'm sure it will work great. I just don't want to hate myself if the Gigabyte is back in stock as soon as I click buy on the ASUS.

The only 'sorta' real downside to the ASUS is the Realtek LAN vs Intel on the Gigabyte, and I won't be using the wifi...

Edit: Never mind. The site says the board is in stock, but the cart/checkout says that it isn't. :(

You already have an active build thread (which discusses motherboards).
There's no reason to start the process over again. Any additional questions
can be posted there.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/partial-rebuild-for-ryzen-3900x.2579062/?view=date

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.