MSI Z490 TOMAHAWK
CORSAIR LPX 3600MHZ 16GB X 2
COOLERMASTER MWE 850WATT GOLD
CORSAIR 780T
DEEPCOOL CASTLE EX 360

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You probably don't need to, but sometimes the newer versions fix bugs, enhance features, etc.

Read the notes and see what it says and then decide.

AMD started the re-size bar trend when it introduced SAM on their platform. Funny how it was a industry
standard that wasn't in play, but suddenly it's the next check mark on all platforms once they enabled it.

Looking at your MB's support page it looks like the latest uEFI(beta) enables the re-size bar feature while
adding support for the 11xxx series.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
You probably don't need to, but sometimes the newer versions fix bugs, enhance features, etc.

Read the notes and see what it says and then decide.

AMD started the re-size bar trend when it introduced SAM on their platform. Funny how it was a industry
standard that wasn't in play, but suddenly it's the next check mark on all platforms once they enabled it.

Looking at your MB's support page it looks like the latest uEFI(beta) enables the re-size bar feature while
adding support for the 11xxx series.
i have lga 1200 should i update i am worried it might brick my mobo if something happens

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
i have lga 1200 should i update i am worried it might brick my mobo if something happens

If your rig is working fine there is no need to update it. The only time you really need to update is if the newer version fixes a issue your encountering, fix's security issues, adds features, cpu support, etc.

I've never bricked a MB when updating the uEFI/bios. All my MB's have usb flashback so if the latest isn't the greatest I just flash back and wait for the next one.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
If your rig is working fine there is no need to update it. The only time you really need to update is if the newer version fixes a issue your encountering, fix's security issues, adds features, cpu support, etc.

I've never bricked a MB when updating the uEFI/bios. All my MB's have usb flashback so if the latest isn't the greatest I just flash back and wait for the next one.
how to flash back old one on msi z490? possible in case i dont like it

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
how to flash back old one on msi z490? possible in case i dont like it

I'm not sure? You'll probably have to research that before you flash.

My MB's have a marked usb slot on the rear panel. With the system off all I have to do is insert a fat formatted usb stick with the uEFI on it named MSI.ROM and push a little button and wait for it to do it's thing and reboot.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Kenmitch shows one easy alternative. In the old days, you had to make a 3.5" floppy with the BIOS file on it as a source for the flash.

I've probably done between one and two dozen BIOS flashes since 1995. Only one time, maybe 15 years ago, did I bork the motherboard or BIOS chip and thought to RMA the board. [Replacing boards is a tedious hassle; seem my thread on "Windy days and static charges".]

These days, you can either flash the BIOS from within Windows or from the existing BIOS, which has a submenu for it. At some point, you'd insert a USB stick with the BIOS file, or, alternatively, the BIOS might just go out on the internet and grab the update. Personally, I like to have control of the process, so I copy the BIOS file to a USB stick.

The board that got borked had a very large BIOS file. Something went wrong with the BIOS chip, as if there "wasn't enough space" or something. Before that and since then, it's never given me any trouble. I might have avoided the RMA by going online to find an outfit like "BIOS-Man" to send me a replacement BIOS chip, flashed with the version I wanted. That's always an easy possibility, provided that the chip is socketed to the board, as opposed to being soldered in.

It's not something you will be inclined to do very often, especially if you have overclock settings, which need to be re-entered when you first boot the system into the new BIOS. It's extra tedium. Only certain things dictate a need to do it, and I wouldn't advise troubling yourself unless it's needed. Sometimes, upgrading to a newer CPU may require it, but not much else.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Kenmitch shows one easy alternative. In the old days, you had to make a 3.5" floppy with the BIOS file on it as a source for the flash.

I've probably done between one and two dozen BIOS flashes since 1995. Only one time, maybe 15 years ago, did I bork the motherboard or BIOS chip and thought to RMA the board. [Replacing boards is a tedious hassle; seem my thread on "Windy days and static charges".]

These days, you can either flash the BIOS from within Windows or from the existing BIOS, which has a submenu for it. At some point, you'd insert a USB stick with the BIOS file, or, alternatively, the BIOS might just go out on the internet and grab the update. Personally, I like to have control of the process, so I copy the BIOS file to a USB stick.

The board that got borked had a very large BIOS file. Something went wrong with the BIOS chip, as if there "wasn't enough space" or something. Before that and since then, it's never given me any trouble. I might have avoided the RMA by going online to find an outfit like "BIOS-Man" to send me a replacement BIOS chip, flashed with the version I wanted. That's always an easy possibility, provided that the chip is socketed to the board, as opposed to being soldered in.

It's not something you will be inclined to do very often, especially if you have overclock settings, which need to be re-entered when you first boot the system into the new BIOS. It's extra tedium. Only certain things dictate a need to do it, and I wouldn't advise troubling yourself unless it's needed. Sometimes, upgrading to a newer CPU may require it, but not much else.
Asus lets me update directly from my HDD. No need for USB sticks. They did remove the internet update option on my board though: Prime X570-P.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Asus lets me update directly from my HDD. No need for USB sticks. They did remove the internet update option on my board though: Prime X570-P.
Well -- certainly -- I think all the boards I've had for the last 15 years allow you to flash within Windows from a file stored to your HDD. I don't know . . . . I think I did it a couple times without fail, but I like using the BIOS sub-menu . . .

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Well -- certainly -- I think all the boards I've had for the last 15 years allow you to flash within Windows from a file stored to your HDD. I don't know . . . . I think I did it a couple times without fail, but I like using the BIOS sub-menu . . .
Not in windows. In my BIOS it allows me to browse the HDD for the BIOS file to install it.

Here is a pic from my BIOS. The highlighted part is my "C:" drive. Other drives can also be seen. The directory structure is on the right:

1611715134619.jpeg

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
One should not flash a bios through Windows. It is one of the fastest ways to loose a board!
THAT'S WHY I never did it. I'd rather use the BIOS menu. In the old and ancient days, there was a program you put on a floppy with the BIOS file, and I think you booted to that floppy.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Not in windows. In my BIOS it allows me to browse the HDD for the BIOS file to install it.

Here is a pic from my BIOS. The highlighted part is my "C:" drive. Other drives can also be seen. The directory structure is on the right:

View attachment 38621
Now that I think of it, my own Z170 BIOS probably displays the same info and options. But I used a USB drive for the file . . .

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Go ahead OP. As others have stated, use the tried and true USB stick and flash from bios menu method. Stay away from any "beta bios" if you're worried about problems.