Mother well balanced with component?

PaoloPd

Oct 15, 2016
Hi there, I hope to post this new 3D in the right place.

Here I have done my choice:
- motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
- cpu: i7 6700
- memory: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK (8GBx2)

With this configuration my question is if every component is quite balanced. I don't need to OC.

Thanks

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I can't speak with authority on this. In building my own 6700K rig, the "skinny on the street" here and at other forums suggested to me that DDR4-3200 was a "sweet spot" for the platform. You don't hurt yourself by using the 3600's -- G.SKILL is tremendous and the price delta is minor. You just may not get the same performance benefit going from 3200 to 3600 as you would going from the default 2133 to something in the lower range of those two points.

Someone else may choose to differ, and I would be all ears.

PaoloPd

Oct 15, 2016
I can't speak with authority on this. In building my own 6700K rig, the "skinny on the street" here and at other forums suggested to me that DDR4-3200 was a "sweet spot" for the platform. You don't hurt yourself by using the 3600's -- G.SKILL is tremendous and the price delta is minor. You just may not get the same performance benefit going from 3200 to 3600 as you would going from the default 2133 to something in the lower range of those two points.

Someone else may choose to differ, and I would be all ears.
Let me say that after reading this page I have chosen that memory

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Let me say that after reading this page I have chosen that memory

Well of course a memory manufacturer is going to say that. ;)

The benchmarks on memory scaling with Skylake differs quite a bit depending on which site you trust the most. One area that isn't in dispute is if a person uses onboard graphics. Every site shows a healthy increase using faster RAM.

But since the discussion of RAM scaling can quickly turn into a he said, she said, chart sharing one-upmanship that I hate arguing about, I will say that even the websites that say faster RAM improves system performance dramatically, after DDR4 3200 the performance increases are very miniscule.

If you aren't even overclocking your CPU, you really don't need to shell out the premium for DDR4 3600 over DDR 3200. One thing you do want to do is make sure that RAM is on Asus's QVL list or certified by the memory manufacturer to work with your motherboard. If it's not on one of those, the RAM may or may not work correctly with your motherboard.

My motherboard has issues with 8 GB modules that are DDR4 3200 and higher. In fact, G Skill doesn't have any 8 GB modules DDR 3200 and higher that they certify to work correctly in motherboard.