Mother races to beat train, fails to see train coming in other direction

Feb 24, 2001
Police: Indiana Mom Attempts to Outrun Freight Train, Kills 2 Children
Thursday, September 06, 2007

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
An Indiana mom attempted to outrun a freight train at an intersection but didn't see a train approaching from the other direction and crashed, killing two of her children, police said.

Authorities released a video showing Edie Bolanos attempting to outrun an eastbound train in her minivan by cutting through a parking lot and making a quick turn.

"It seemed that she [Edie Bolanos] was so intent on beating the eastbound train, she never even saw the westbound train that hit her," Hammond Police Sgt. Michael Jorden said.

Two of Bolanos' children, Crystal, 11, and Anahi, 8, were ejected from the van and pronounced dead at the scene. The other two children in the van were in stable condition.

Click here to read the report from the Northwest Indiana Times.

"My heart goes out to the family," said Hammond Police Chief Brian Miller. "My only hope with the release of this [video] is that other people will learn a lesson, and maybe we can avoid another tragedy in the future."

The 65-second video from the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District shows Edie Bolanos turning her minivan into a parking lot, racing east and making a quick turn to get across the tracks.

Click here to read the report from the Northwest Indiana Times.

The van does not appear to slow down as it approaches the tracks, according to the video. The westbound train struck the driver's side, pushing it into the eastbound train at 9:49 a.m. Saturday.

Bolanos remained in critical condition Thursday at Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago.

Video

Not posting it in P&N since I really can't think of anything to say but :|

Probably was going to miss the opening of Oprah.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
dumb bitch. I'm not sure whether I'd rather her die in the hospital, or get better so she can live with what she's done.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah this has been all over the news. Very sad that 2 kids had to die because of the mothers stupidity.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
stupid double post.

oh also in the news is a story about a mother that had her daughter in a car and she died.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
let her wallow in the dark depression she will be in for doing something stupid that caused the death of her two kids. have her feel the pain as she looks into her husbands eyes when the birthdays roll around and see his pain of loss. to me that is punishment enough no prison, no jail just let the pain be her prisoner.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
stupid double post.

oh also in the news is a story about a mother that had her daughter in a car and she died.

The Mercedes one? Not sure she shouldn't fry.

Left the kid in the car. Returned to the car FIVE times during the day. Even moved the car at one point and failed to notice. And she was a teacher???

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
WHITING INDIANA said:
WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT I CAN SAY YOUR PROBLY SOME RICH ASS PERSON WHO DOESNT CARE WEATHER OR NOT WHO DIES BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR AN ASS WHO HAS NO LIFE AND I STILL TO THIS DAY BLAME THE CITY FOR NOT HAVING THOSE GATES UP ALL RAILROAD CRSSING SHOULD HAVE THEM UP AND I WILL FIGHT TIL THEY ARE ALL UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL JUST WANT TO BLAME THE MOTHER WHAT IF HER CAR WAS MESSED UP OR ONE OF HER KIDS WERE SICK NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED IN THAT VAN THAT MORNING SO GIVE IT UP LET THAT LADY ALONE YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN TO GET ON THE COMPUTER AND BASH PEOPLE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THEN THIS PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY LEAVE HER ALONE I DONT KNOW HER OR KNEW HER CHILDREN BUT TO TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL AND TO GO TO HELL OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE NO RIGHT YOUR NOT GOD NOR THE RIGHT PERSON TO SAY ANYTHING SO GROW UP GET A LIFE AND LEAVE THAT LADY ALONE
Sep 07, 2007

that about sums it up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
stupid double post.

Left the kid in the car. Returned to the car FIVE times during the day. Even moved the car at one point and failed to notice. And she was a teacher???

yeah. she also had been warned a few times to not do that. guess she did ti before.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
stupid double post.

yeah. she also had been warned a few times to not do that. guess she did ti before.

WTF!!!!!! is wrong with people??? :|

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
dumb bitch. I'm not sure whether I'd rather her die in the hospital, or get better so she can live with what she's done.
If she lives, we pay many thousands of dollars to keep her alive. That is money we pay either through higher insurance premiums, through higher hospital bills, or through tax dollars (depending on her situaiton). Either way, I don't want the cost passed on to me. Let her know what happened to her kids, and lets hope there aren't any more hospital expenses after that.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
WHITING INDIANA said:
WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT I CAN SAY YOUR PROBLY SOME RICH ASS PERSON WHO DOESNT CARE WEATHER OR NOT WHO DIES BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR AN ASS WHO HAS NO LIFE AND I STILL TO THIS DAY BLAME THE CITY FOR NOT HAVING THOSE GATES UP ALL RAILROAD CRSSING SHOULD HAVE THEM UP AND I WILL FIGHT TIL THEY ARE ALL UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL JUST WANT TO BLAME THE MOTHER WHAT IF HER CAR WAS MESSED UP OR ONE OF HER KIDS WERE SICK NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED IN THAT VAN THAT MORNING SO GIVE IT UP LET THAT LADY ALONE YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN TO GET ON THE COMPUTER AND BASH PEOPLE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THEN THIS PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY LEAVE HER ALONE I DONT KNOW HER OR KNEW HER CHILDREN BUT TO TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL AND TO GO TO HELL OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE NO RIGHT YOUR NOT GOD NOR THE RIGHT PERSON TO SAY ANYTHING SO GROW UP GET A LIFE AND LEAVE THAT LADY ALONE
Sep 07, 2007

that about sums it up.

Yeah, sums up how retarded some people are. That post is terrible.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i hope she lives a long long time.

that way every time she sees a train, van or her living children she will remember she killed 2 of them because of her stupidity. i want her to remember what happened EVERY DAY of her long life. knowing that if she would have stoped they would be alive.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well...if she had just killed herself it would have been a darwin award. watched the video, this wasn't just a split second mistake, she chose to be reckless big time.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
From that video, it doesn't look like she would've avoided either train. Not sure what makes someone want to try to beat a train that is that close by (the one she saw).

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well...if she had just killed herself it would have been a darwin award.

I think if you kill your offspring it is by definition also darwinian exclusion.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Well I'm glad she's not a mother anymore. Sucks it had to take her killing her children for that to happen but I guess god works in mysterious ways.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: KK
Well I'm glad she's not a mother anymore. Sucks it had to take her killing her children for that to happen but I guess god works in mysterious ways.

She's got 2 more :(

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: TrandM

She's got 2 more :(

Well, I estimate that the state will take care of that shortly.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

hey way to read they article!

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
The two kids in the back should've been wearing their seatbelts

[/ducks]

edit: typo