Mother races to beat train, fails to see train coming in other direction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
It's one thing when the lights start flashing and you drive by quickly, but to be driving side-by-side with the train in a race? If it wasn't for the fact that two children died it would have been the most hilarious video I've seen in months.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
It's one thing when the lights start flashing and you drive by quickly, but to be driving side-by-side with the train in a race? If it wasn't for the fact that two children died it would have been the most hilarious video I've seen in months.
She lived her life a train crossing at a time.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well...if she had just killed herself it would have been a darwin award. watched the video, this wasn't just a split second mistake, she chose to be reckless big time.

Yep. It almost looks like a movie, racing the train, then trying to beat it at the last second. I can't believe how dumb some people are; I wonder what was SO important she had to race/beat a train? I doubt it's very important anymore. What a shame.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Video

Not posting it in P&N since I really can't think of anything to say but :|

Probably was going to miss the opening of Oprah.
You have GOT to be kidding me.

Good god. Stupidity is astonishing. I see stuff like this and just have one of those little weird moments - "Primitive primates behind wheels. Whose brilliant idea was this?!?!"
Nature should have taught you not to tangle with things that are MUCH bigger than you. Just because you're in a 2 ton block of steel and plastic doesn't mean you can go up against a train carrying thousands of tons of freight. Your little steel box will be like a fly on a windshield.

Originally posted by: Sraaz
Originally posted by: ElFenix
WHITING INDIANA said:
WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT I CAN SAY YOUR PROBLY SOME RICH ASS PERSON WHO DOESNT CARE WEATHER OR NOT WHO DIES BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR AN ASS WHO HAS NO LIFE AND I STILL TO THIS DAY BLAME THE CITY FOR NOT HAVING THOSE GATES UP ALL RAILROAD CRSSING SHOULD HAVE THEM UP AND I WILL FIGHT TIL THEY ARE ALL UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL JUST WANT TO BLAME THE MOTHER WHAT IF HER CAR WAS MESSED UP OR ONE OF HER KIDS WERE SICK NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED IN THAT VAN THAT MORNING SO GIVE IT UP LET THAT LADY ALONE YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN TO GET ON THE COMPUTER AND BASH PEOPLE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THEN THIS PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY LEAVE HER ALONE I DONT KNOW HER OR KNEW HER CHILDREN BUT TO TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL AND TO GO TO HELL OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE NO RIGHT YOUR NOT GOD NOR THE RIGHT PERSON TO SAY ANYTHING SO GROW UP GET A LIFE AND LEAVE THAT LADY ALONE
Sep 07, 2007

that about sums it up.

Yeah, sums up how retarded some people are. That post is terrible.
At least they used punctuation. Not correctly, but it is in there.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Ok, anyone standing up for the mother is a moron. That shit was rediculous. (The video)

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

<SARCASM>Yeah two train crews suffering with the knowledge that they killed someone is ALWAYS funny!</SARCASM>:thumbsdown:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
How do you think the mother feels...she's probably suicidal at this point. This is a mistake that will haunt her for the rest of her life. :(

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Fritzo
How do you think the mother feels...she's probably suicidal at this point. This is a mistake that will haunt her for the rest of her life. :(

times up

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
WHITING INDIANA said:
WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT I CAN SAY YOUR PROBLY SOME RICH ASS PERSON WHO DOESNT CARE WEATHER OR NOT WHO DIES BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR AN ASS WHO HAS NO LIFE AND I STILL TO THIS DAY BLAME THE CITY FOR NOT HAVING THOSE GATES UP ALL RAILROAD CRSSING SHOULD HAVE THEM UP AND I WILL FIGHT TIL THEY ARE ALL UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL JUST WANT TO BLAME THE MOTHER WHAT IF HER CAR WAS MESSED UP OR ONE OF HER KIDS WERE SICK NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED IN THAT VAN THAT MORNING SO GIVE IT UP LET THAT LADY ALONE YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN TO GET ON THE COMPUTER AND BASH PEOPLE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THEN THIS PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY LEAVE HER ALONE I DONT KNOW HER OR KNEW HER CHILDREN BUT TO TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL AND TO GO TO HELL OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE NO RIGHT YOUR NOT GOD NOR THE RIGHT PERSON TO SAY ANYTHING SO GROW UP GET A LIFE AND LEAVE THAT LADY ALONE
Sep 07, 2007

that about sums it up.

I don't know who's the bigger idiot. That woman or the jackass who posted this...too close to call really.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
My condolences to the engineers who had to witness that feat of human stupidity.

I have always been one for an adrenaline rush and what not, but seriously, a train is a column of pure kinetic energy just waiting to be unleashed. I am not sure if it is because I grew up in the Midwest or what, but I do NOT fuck around with trains.

The sad thing is she probably could have made it if not for the other train. I guess that is why you are supposed to look both ways before crossing, you know just like when you are younger. Kind of ironic considering, depending on the load, a train hitting a car actually has much higher energy potentials than a car hitting a human...

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
dumb bitch. I'm not sure whether I'd rather her die in the hospital, or get better so she can live with what she's done.

I feel the same way.

fishmonger12

Sep 14, 2004
Posts like this always make me sad, because people feel the need to bash the VICTIM.

She's dead. Her two children are dead. This is tragic. Think of the effect this will have on the rest of the family.

If this woman committed suicide in the car by parking it in front of the train, would you be saying the same things? Probably, because you're a bunch of soulless fucks.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: fishmonger12
Posts like this always make me sad, because people feel the need to bash the VICTIM.

She's dead. Her two children are dead. This is tragic. Think of the effect this will have on the rest of the family.

If this woman committed suicide in the car by parking it in front of the train, would you be saying the same things? Probably, because you're a bunch of soulless fucks.

News flash, none of us have souls.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
So the video shows the accident? I don't think i can stomach watching little kids die.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Phokus
So the video shows the accident? I don't think i can stomach watching little kids die.

I bet most will. We're all animals.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

It's a very, very distant camera. You don't see anything really.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's not especially graphic. The van at the point of impact is probably less than 100 pixels total. It's far in the distance, in a heavily compressed security camera video.

Originally posted by: TallBill

News flash, none of us have souls.
And it's just such utter stupidity and impatience. She was in such rush for who knows what that she wanted to outrun a train, voluntarily putting her own life, and the lives of her children at great risk, and on top of that, she failed to keep alert for other risks. She also sped through a parking lot, not exactly a safe act.

For her sake, I hope there was a legitimate emergency that caused her to hurry like that. Of course, if someone's in need of medical help, then an ambulance or helicopter is a better bet.

I wonder though, in the time it took her to go try to outrun the train, would it not simply have been more efficient to just sit and wait for it to pass?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

If she had taken this risk while she was alone in the car, I wouldn't really care, but she killed her two kids because she was too impatient to wait for a train.

<G.O.B.>COME ON!</G.O.B>

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7

I wonder though, in the time it took her to go try to outrun the train, would it not simply have been more efficient to just sit and wait for it to pass?

Her best method to get by the train the quickest would have been to haul ass in the opposite direction. I wonder how fast she was even driving in the parking lot.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003

Agreed. Many people in here don't give a rats ass about another person period. I guess that's the American way ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I'm pretty speechless at this story. It's a shame the children had to die, and we'll never know what possessed the mother to make her think that attempting to outrun the train was a good idea at the time.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Did they ever get the story from the mother or did she die w/ the secret??

I just hope that something TERRIBLE was going on to make her even attempt that stunt. Still sad about the kids though, they didn't even have a chance to grow up. =/