Mother of teen-age suicide pilot blames acne medicine, sues company

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Accutane is reserved for severe cystic acne. It certainly does have POTENTIAL for serious side effects. Actually Roche would LOVE to ditch this as it is a legal can of worms. It hasn't because it is the ONLY medication than can prevent or mitigate disfiguring acne. I am not talking about "Geeze do I get Oxy 5 or 10?" sort of acne. Roche worked out an agreement with the FDA so that only those who had no other hope would be the only ones to get it. As far as I know, this is a unique arrangement.

It is not the drug, but the inappropriate use of it. I know of many docs who write problematic prescriptions because of patient pressure.

Dont use a hammer to fix a watch.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

<< Accutane is nasty, nasty stuff. I wish i had never taken it, it messes with your body and your mind. Depression is a big side effect, and the stuff really should be pulled from the shelves. I wouldn't take it again for anything :disgust: >>

I took it and it only had two effects on me.

1. It got rid of all my acne
2. It dehydrated me.

I never had any problems with depression, but everytime I went in to see the doctor they always ask several questions to make sure it wasnt screwing with my mind.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
OK, let me get this straight...

Take one teen with severe acne and likely no social life because of it...

Add in the already high depression rate among teens to begin with. I mean, let's face it, the teenage years are a bitch.

Add in a drug that takes time to make the acne disappear, but makes a person pretty uncomfortable because of dryness during that time.

Mix them all together and you want to blame the drug for their depression???

As the great Bart Simpson once said: "Depressing teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel."

csiro

Golden Member
May 31, 2001

Saw on the tv yesterday that the mom herself attempted suicide a while back...And when she signed the consent form for accutane, there was a question regarding any history of suicides in the family. She left it blank and signed it anyway. So she's partly at fault there too...

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
This story was on Dateline, or one of those shows last night. The mother and their lawers are trying to say Accutane causes "sudden suicide." Like the kid was just flying around and decided to crash into a building. Only problem with that was he made several coments about dying before he went up and there was no Accutane in his system when he was found.

This is another one of those ridiculous lawsuits. There has never been any correlation between accutane and teen suicide; only between teens themselves and suicide.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
accutane is a godsend. If his kid was insane or depressed. it wasnt because of accutane, it was because her kid was sad and depressed.

some congressman about a year back also blamed accutane for his kid's suicide. nothing came of it. i love accutane btw, i wanted to take it even longer. haah

nihil

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2002
the drug itself is good and it helps a lot of people (including myself). the only thing is that it kinda screwed up my liver a little bit because of the high dosage i was given and the fact that i drank too much while taking it. other than that it did more good than harm. the acne itself made me more depressed than accutane did. i remember not leaving my house for 2 months at one time. it sucked. but overall the drug is helpful to a lot of people.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Don't worry about this case. She just lives in the next county so I can just drive over there and kick her ass. On a side note I will be suing her for letting her depressed son fly thereby causing my mom to have to watch her son do that. She was actually almost under it when it happened.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also saw this on Dateline last night.

I don't think she'll win the lawsuit....Dateline noted that there was a similar lawsuit earlier and the manufacturer won.

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

I hope the owner of the building sues the parents for the disruption their kid caused......That mom deserves it for pulling this crap.....

cthulhu

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2000
I took accutane and never suffered depression. I did suffer from some killer headaches but I was prone to them before I started taking them. The headaches did seem to come more frequently while I was taking accutane.

IMO his parents bear the blunt of responsibility since he was a minor. I think the lawsuit is just one of many such lawsuits that shows people will not take responsibility. They want to point the blame to someone else so that they can claim to be victims. Moral and ethical values of society in the US are and have been going downhill for sometime.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001

<<

<< So far, no problems, and I've been on it for two years. :) Good drug as far as I'm concerned. >>

Two years????? When I was on it you took it for 3 months! Different dosage?
>>

I am wondering the same thing, that seems way too long to be on Accutane. Do you mean two years continuously or several seperate treatment periods spanning two years??