Mother of Jordan Davis blasts Stand Your Ground laws during U.S. Senate hearing

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So a previous thread asked "where have all the gun control advocates"

Lucia McBath appeared before congress to testify for the memory of her son Jordan Davis and against stand you ground laws. Her son was killed by Michael Dunn sitting the back of a car listening to loud music.

Some quotables...

Lucia:
“I face the very real possibility that my son’s killer will walk free because of this law, hiding behind a statute that lets people claim a threat when there was none,” McBath said, fighting back tears.

Rafael Cruz:
“Stand Your Ground does not apply to aggressors,” Cruz said.

Lucia:
McBath did not get a chance to respond to Cruz during the hearing, but in a phone interview with the Times-Union afterwards, she acknowledged frustration with what the Texas senator said.
“I just thought to myself, he has no clue,” McBath said.

Rafeal is no dummy and he is really good at and I'll put it kindly "pandering to the uninformed"

http://jaxairnews.jacksonville.com/...lasts-stand-your-ground-laws-during-us-senate

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Does Lucia have legitimate concern that Dunn will walk? It seemed like his goose was cooked, to me.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Both women called for Stand Your Ground to be repealed or modified to prevent what happened to their children from happening again.

The thing is, stand your ground was never used in the Martin case.

As for the opening post, it is doubtful the shooter is going to go free.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
There's the possibility that Dunn will walk, it all depends on how well his defense team convinces the jury that there was time to hide the weapon before returning to the convenience store and the police didn't search for a weapon until several days later.

But attorneys for Dunn have said they believe there was a gun in the car that night, and they are expected to argue that police never looked for it, or the other teenagers in the vehicle hid it, when the case goes to trial.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
There is always a possibility of walking. But that is their defense? They cant produce a weapon in the car at the time of the shooting. Good luck.

Sep 7, 2009
Yup.

It all revolves around what happened to the shotgun.

I still think it's incredibly suspicious that they left the scene... circled the parking lot right next door to the gas station, then returned to the scene to deal with the cops. If they were so scared of this lunatic then they wouldn't have returned to the scene. If they were in fear for their lives they would've continued driving, not go directly to the parking lot next door. All of this is going to create doubt with a jury.

Like it or not, innocent until proven guilty, and it will be VERY tough to do considering jordan was running with a crew who is all wrapped up in felony probation.

Like I've said since day one... If the phone records show ANY calls other than to 911, dunn will walk.

Sep 7, 2009
There is always a possibility of walking. But that is their defense? They cant produce a weapon in the car at the time of the shooting. Good luck.

Technically......... In florida they could make a 'gun finger' action and dunn would probably walk. No gun is really even needed, just reasonable fear. And a carload of thugged out dudes is going to make it easy to show reasonable fear to jury, particularly due to the felon.

If these guys weren't running with felons on probation I would feel a lot differently about this situation.

You can choose whether or not to run with felons, and the way you dress, and behave yourself.. and this is how people will judge you.

Honestly I wish the world worked different, but in reality.... These choices you make are how you're treated. If you CHOOSE to dress like a little badass thug, walk like a little badass thug.... Don't be surprised when you're treated like a thug by society.

Sep 7, 2009
And in reply to the mother....... VERY typical in these situations.

They have an out of control teenage thug culture-worshiping boy, who is running with felons, or dealing drugs, or trafficking stolen property, or assaulting innocent people..........

And WHEN he gets killed, it's a problem with the laws. A problem with guns. A problem with racism. A problem with whoever happens to have money or insurance. A problem with "America".

It's always a problem with something other than the parenting. These people really should be ashamed of themselves.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

All the defense team has to do is emphasize reasonable doubt concerning the police investigation. How can the prosecution prove that's there's no possibility of a gun in the car at the time when the car left the scene and returned? The police didn't search the vicinity of where the car stopped off premises nor on the roof of the convenience store until several days after the incident. There was more than enough time for someone to come back and get the weapon before the police searched for it.

Sep 7, 2009
All the defense team has to do is emphasize reasonable doubt concerning the police investigation. How can the prosecution prove that's there's no possibility of a gun in the car at the time when the car left the scene and returned? The police didn't search the vicinity of where the car stopped off premises nor on the roof of the convenience store until several days after the incident. There was more than enough time for someone to come back and get the weapon before the police searched for it.

It all depends on the jury. The race brigaiders are out for blood...

Personally, I think there's quite a bit of reasonable doubt, but someone has to hang for zimmerman.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Even with the article, I don't know enough about the Davis case to have an informed opinion. The Trayvon Martin case is a bit more clear cut, and as others have pointed out SYG wasn't even used in defense so it's moot.

I don't find SYG laws objectionable on their face. Like with most things, they depend on the good judgement of a prosecutor to determine whether it's a suitable offense. Perhaps a good compromise would be to keep it, but not allow it as an absolute defense.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yup.

It all revolves around what happened to the shotgun.

I still think it's incredibly suspicious that they left the scene... circled the parking lot right next door to the gas station, then returned to the scene to deal with the cops. If they were so scared of this lunatic then they wouldn't have returned to the scene. If they were in fear for their lives they would've continued driving, not go directly to the parking lot next door. All of this is going to create doubt with a jury.

Like it or not, innocent until proven guilty, and it will be VERY tough to do considering jordan was running with a crew who is all wrapped up in felony probation.

Like I've said since day one... If the phone records show ANY calls other than to 911, dunn will walk.

unless you are a young black male. Just based on your usual M.O.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It will all come down to whether or not the jury believes that the prosecution proved the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. I place the odds at 85% - 15% that there will be a conviction.

One thing that came out during the hearing that will cause some in this forum (many others too) to blow a gasket.

Senate SYG Hearing: George Zimmerman Will Not Face Federal Civil Rights Charges Or Hate Crime Charge

Sep 7, 2009
unless you are a young black male. Just based on your usual M.O.

Did you miss the part where I said that I personally think he should be convicted based on current facts?

Or do you just have issues any time a young black male is discussed as doing something wrong?

I guess to you, we shouldn't discuss anything negative unless it involves a medium ivory or lighter person.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
And in reply to the mother....... VERY typical in these situations.

They have an out of control teenage thug culture-worshiping boy, who is running with felons, or dealing drugs, or trafficking stolen property, or assaulting innocent people..........

Can you prove any of that shit you just said about Jordan Davis? Or did you read it on Reddit and can't find it anymore?

No surprise that you and your ilk are still crowing about this invisible shotgun.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

You have a police officer and witnesses that watched the SUV drive into a nearby parking lot. The driver getting out of the vehicle, walking around the vehicle then driving back to the convenience store.

Yes, these thugs knew to hide the weapon and come back to the scene of the crime b/c that's what the guilty do. While Dunn, left the scene, learned that he had killed someone, never contacted the police and drove home the next day.

Sep 7, 2009
You have a police officer and witnesses that watched the SUV drive into a nearby parking lot. The driver getting out of the vehicle, walking around the vehicle then driving back to the convenience store.

Yes, these thugs knew to hide the weapon and come back to the scene of the crime b/c that's what the guilty do. While Dunn, left the scene, learned that he had killed someone, never contacted the police and drove home the next day.

I really don't think anyone is saying dunn is clean in this.

What we are saying, is that IF the felon thug crew had a shotgun and IF there is any doubt about whether or not it was hidden..... That dunn will walk, even with his idiotic mistakes.

Just because dunn is a complete moron doesn't excuse them pointing a shotgun on him, IF that happened.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Could you point out where this is located in the case discovery materials as I've read through them and can't find where a police witnessed the car leaving and returning. There's a witness that saw the driver and a passenger get out of the car, walk around, get back in the car, and then return to the store. They also noted a white vehicle come over the car before it returned as well. Too bad the store where they parked briefly didn't have a security cam as that would show for certain what transpired. The other main witnesses are the three people who were in the car with Jordan Davis.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Based on known evidence to the public, I think Dunn will be acquitted on murder charges, but will be boned on other charges up to and including manslaughter and negligent discharge of a firearm. That evidence to support that is the fact he fired two volleys of shots. Current known publicly released evidence supports the first volley was justified, but shooting more on a fleeing vehicle after repositioning for a better shot is not justified. Something I've stated multiple times.