Mostly Gaming Rig

zzglenn

Nov 15, 2007
Primary use of this computer will be for gaming, but this will also be a family computer so I maybe doing video and photo editing. My budget sits around $1000. The pricing below is all from newegg but I am open to any repurtable retailer. I would like to be able to overclock a bit, although I have no experience in this area.

PARTS

Case:Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU:Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Retail

MoBo:ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

RAM:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HD:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GPU:EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Opti Drive:SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

OS:Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Total: $1,161.91 - $120 Rebates = 1,041.91

Couple of questions:

1) I have never over clocked before, but was thinking of bumping up the CPU speed to 3ghz what type of cooling should I get?

2) Is the PSU adequate for the hardware above?

3) I am a tad over budget and I may still need to add a cooler, buy a larger PSU, maybe faster processor. Any place I can trim this down?

4) Any reason to wait a month or 2 before buying?

5) Is this a solid build that will last for a few years?

Thanks for your advice and help!

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
1) You wouldn't require anything too extreme, but with a quad core you'll probably want to look at basic aftermarket cooling.

2) It should be fine. A lot of people with that kind of set up go for 500W power supplies to be on the safe side. You won't need more than 500W though.

3) Unless you plan to do a lot of video editing you'll probably be wasting 2-3 of those cores most of the time. I would consider moving to a dual-core processor. The E7200 is very affordable and will overclock over 3.0Ghz pretty easily. Some people are hitting around 3.8 GHz, but that's not a guarantee. (Nor is that speed necessary 99% of the time.) You could take the video card down a notch to the 8800GT depending on the size of your monitor. (See #4)

4) Intel may have a round of price cuts in July, although that doesn't obligate retailers to follow suit immediately. Nvidia and ATi are both set to release new graphics cards this month. Most likely the cards will be pricier than you're looking for, but they may push the prices of current cards down.

5) Absolutely.

zzglenn

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: DSF
1) You wouldn't require anything too extreme, but with a quad core you'll probably want to look at basic aftermarket cooling.

2) It should be fine. A lot of people with that kind of set up go for 500W power supplies to be on the safe side. You won't need more than 500W though.

3) Unless you plan to do a lot of video editing you'll probably be wasting 2-3 of those cores most of the time. I would consider moving to a dual-core processor. The E7200 is very affordable and will overclock over 3.0Ghz pretty easily. Some people are hitting around 3.8 GHz, but that's not a guarantee. (Nor is that speed necessary 99% of the time.) You could take the video card down a notch to the 8800GT depending on the size of your monitor. (See #4)

4) Intel may have a round of price cuts in July, although that doesn't obligate retailers to follow suit immediately. Nvidia and ATi are both set to release new graphics cards this month. Most likely the cards will be pricier than you're looking for, but they may push the prices of current cards down.

5) Absolutely.

Thanks for the reply DSF

I am running a Samsung SyncMaster 226sw 22inch LCD. Would going to a Geforce 8800 GT lose a bunch of frames in game compared to the GTS?

I will add a decent cooler to the list. Any recommendations?

I'm in no hurry to buy right now, but I would like to do it before the end of summer. Now seems to be a good time with newegg offering a bunch of rebates on parts.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
That Antec may be cutting it a bit close (with degradation over time etc.) for a GTS + overclocked quad.

Arctic Freezer is fine but the top-class Xigmatek isn't much more.

If you wait a bit the 4850/4870 may be what you want.

zzglenn

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: s44
That Antec may be cutting it a bit close (with degradation over time etc.) for a GTS + overclocked quad.

I don't mind spending a tiny bit more for quality. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 4850/4870?

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Originally posted by: zzglenn

I don't mind spending a tiny bit more for quality. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 4850/4870?

ATi and Nvidia are both supposed to release new graphics cards this month. 4850 and 4870 are the models we're expecting to see from ATi.

zzglenn

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: DSF
Originally posted by: zzglenn

ATi and Nvidia are both supposed to release new graphics cards this month. 4850 and 4870 are the models we're expecting to see from ATi.

Thanks for the info. I will keep a look out for those.

zzglenn

Nov 15, 2007
One last question. I hear that the new P45 boards will be released soon. Are they expecting any huge increases in performance? Any ETA on those?