Most reliable ssd

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Crucial M5x0, Intel 730, Intel 530, Sandisk U110, X110/Ultra Plus, X210?/Extreme II...

SSDs are pretty reliable, today, in general, but nothing new has been out long enough to have a good idea of how it fairs in the wild, over many users, and many workloads.

Backup, backup, backup*, and consider 3+ year warranties, if you're spending a hefty chunk of change.

A longer warranty affects price, and protects you from a high replacement cost. It is a business decision, to get more sales, not a testament to reliability (servicing failures for 10 years is part of the increased price of the 850 Pro, FI, and likely accounts for more of the higher price, over competitors, than the cost of 3D MLC).

* So far this year, I've had the pleasure of dealing with 6 dead/dying HDDs, and of those, 3 gave no time to recover anything--just *bam* dead. You really need to worry about your data separately from the supposed reliability of any single device.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I've got a samsung 840 pro, 850 pro, & a crucial c300. No issues with any of them. Mostly just use them as C: boot drives anyway, so there's really nothing too important on them that I need to worry about losing.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
SanDisk Extreme PRO, the most reliable and performance consistent SSD I've ever owned.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It's the only SSD I'm aware of that offers a 10 year warranty.

My SanDisk Extreme Pro has a ten year warranty. If not SanDisk I'd get an Intel drive if reliability was my main concern. I have a couple of Samsung SSDs and I'm not confident in their reliability.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've never owned a SanDisk SSD but I have other things they make and they are good at flash memory.

The SSDs I current use are Samsungs or Crucials, I've been buying Crucials the last few I've purchased.

Recently put a MX200 in my sister in laws, they seem to like it just for general use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RQA6DTE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Put this one on my HTPC not long ago for a OS operator, it just has a WD Black 500 for storage one it and move things around from the main.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RQA6LQY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have two Samsung older EVO 120s in RAID0 on my main for the OS and a seperate older array, 4X WD RE3's 1TB HDDs on a ARECA hardware RAID card on the main for storage I guess.

The wife still uses a WD Black 500 on her's in the guset room on one of my old gaming rigs with a Q9650, the HTPC I built for the main bedroom is faster with a X5650 in it.

I told her she could trade em out, but I guess she likes that one and it does what she wants it too I guess :p

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Crucial or Intels higher end with their own controller. So for most, just Crucial.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have intels and two samsungs along with two crucials . They all work good for me , but all I do is a game or two , three or four tech websites and the news . So , op , what do you do ?

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Like some of the earlier poster, I am also using SanDisk because they haven't had any embarrassing error yet and have good reliability. I think that they many have better flash Technology because of their years of experience with SD cards.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The most reliable SSD's are enterprise grade ones. We (at work) have a *LOT* of Intel S3500's in the field, not a single failure yet.

Here at home I am running Intel 730 series SSD's, which are the consumer version of the same drive. If you really want reliability, go with an enterprise grade drive, period.

I should note that enterprise grade drives do run warmer, and consume more power, so they are not good for use in laptops. Fine for desktops though.

steve225

Jun 27, 2015
How about the Kingston HyperX Savage SSD they only have a 3 year waranty but the TBW is around 300 for the 240gb version