Most overrated bands?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RudeBoie

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2000
I think it's all great to rip a band if you don't like their vocals, pkaying, etc, but not every band needs to give deep inner emotion through their lyrics. While there can be too much fluff, I don't need to be listening to the second coming of the Odyssey either.

mattyrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2000
I wasn't gonna chime in on this 2 day old flamefest, but -
lynyrd skynyrd- terrible musically and lyrically yet hold some standing as a classic band?.....what's that all about?
Damm he even dissed Skynard! I was never a big fan, either, but you gotta give 'em the respect they deserve. They were the first somewhat heavy 3 Guitar band to break some ground. And their songs weren't THAT bad.

eagles- pretty much the same as skynyrd's problems.....no talent
I hated the Eagles, but that dosen't man they suck either. They at least had some talent, and some origianality. Dissin' Joe Walsh too (Although that wasn't 'till later). Joe Walsh was cool, in the fact that he was one of the few, 'I don't give a crap as long as I get paid' guys in Rock n' Roll

beatles- the later stuff was great....their earlier stuff was the first boy band crap ever.....the songs lennon wrote were great, mccartney's sucked
Don't even get me started.....
Yeah, even theor earlier stuff broke ground, nobody put their first record out as 99% original songs, it was almost ALWAYS written for them. (Kinda like 99% of the crap today!).
You sir, are an A$$. What sucked? Maybe Let it Be (weakest Beatles album, but still great, IMHO) They pretty much inspired just about every group that spawned in the 60's and 70's, even a lot of the 'Glam' bands in the 80's. Same goes for the Stones, but on not such a huge level. Why do you think Ozzy, and Tony Iommi decided to be Rock n' Rollers?? These were bands that changed the face of Music FOREVER! What has Godsmack changed?? The way Tribute Bands can get a record deal with no originality??

godsmack- kick major ass.....guitar rocks, vocals rock, lyrics are deeper than they would appear at first glance (voodoo for instance)

This kills me, an unoriginal, uninspiring, Drop-D tuning band, not one ounce of originality, or Rock n' Roll in 'em. A tribute band that has spawned another another round of white-boy, middle-class I'm so angry because mom & dad won't let me have my way angst.

Let's just imagine Rock n' Roll with no Beatles, Stones, and we'll replace them with Godsmack, Limpim' Park, amd Lame Bizkit. Boy we'd have nothing to look forward to anymore! :p

but, hey, like I always say there's no accounting for taste. :p

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Yield
DMB sucks.. I think they are THE MOST overrated band ever.
I think most who dislike DMB can't make a distinction between the music and the fans. Yes, most of DMB's fans are frat boy morons. However, even if you don't happen to like the end product, you have to at least give the band points for both musicality and the fact that they got to where they are today via touring their asses off and thus building a fan base (as opposed to some wanker producer like Matt Serletic creating band from thin air and then have it marketed to death by the label until everyone buys it). You will also note that if you happen to be a starving musician, frat houses are a good source of money for shows. Hence the fan base. JMO.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: Yield
DMB sucks.. I think they are THE MOST overrated band ever.
I think most who dislike DMB can't make a distinction between the music and the fans. Yes, most of DMB's fans are frat boy morons. However, even if you don't happen to like the end product, you have to at least give the band points for both musicality and the fact that they got to where they are today via touring their asses off and thus building a fan base (as opposed to some wanker producer like Matt Serletic creating band from thin air and then have it marketed to death by the label until everyone buys it). You will also note that if you happen to be a starving musician, frat houses are a good source of money for shows. Hence the fan base. JMO.

Well put. I hate the fans more and more (there's enough Abercrombie wear in each venue to open a couple of retail stores), but I love their music more and more. They are some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard. Although you can argue that their music is getting worse and worse, I think it's just evolving. Busted Stuff/Lillywhite Sessions is a GREAT album.

hungrygoose

Apr 7, 2001
the problem here is, some of you give an extreme amount of credit for being the first band to start off a genre......c'mon....there's more to being good than just being the first.....how can u say that lynyrd skynyrd were the first of anything?....c'mon.....and somewhat hard??....you have got to be kidding me.........now pink floyd and the doors were awesome and he really defined a genre.....but the eagles or skynyrd?.....u have got to be kidding......but anyways, just because a band is playing now in the same genre as a classic band, doesn't make them a "tribute" band......all bands were influenced by somebody else early going.....that doesn't make them a "tribute" band

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Just because a band is popular or has a lot of fans DOES NOT mean they are overrated. No one ever said Dave Matthews was the greatest musician or guitar player ever. A lot of people just find his music cool or in the least interesting to see live. Same goes for most of the newer popular artists people have named. Like Blink 182, Linkin Park, etc.

mattyrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2000
, just because a band is playing now in the same genre as a classic band, doesn't make them a "tribute" band......all bands were influenced by somebody else early going.....that doesn't make them a "tribute" band

No, but Godsmack WAS an Alice in Chains tribute band 'till they got signed, never wrote a song UNTIL they got signed, so yes they WERE a tribute band, and it really shows in their ever so original way of writing songs! ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
As we can plainly see, ALL bands are overrated (except for Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix). I suggest we all throw away our CDs and delete all our MP3s, and rather than listening to all this music that apparently sucks (cause some guy on the internet said so), we either argue about things that are entirely subjective (like taste in music, for example), or sit in complete silence.

hungrygoose

Apr 7, 2001
This kills me, an unoriginal, uninspiring, Drop-D tuning band, not one ounce of originality, or Rock n' Roll in 'em. A tribute band that has spawned another another round of white-boy, middle-class I'm so angry because mom & dad won't let me have my way angst.

have you even listened to the band?? white boy angst?....are you sure you're not talking about somebody else?.....no rock n roll in 'em???....are you nutz???

No, but Godsmack WAS an Alice in Chains tribute band 'till they got signed, never wrote a song UNTIL they got signed, so yes they WERE a tribute band, and it really shows in their ever so original way of writing songs!

never heard that before....documentation of this anywhere???

J3anyus

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
As we can plainly see, ALL bands are overrated (except for Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix). I suggest we all throw away our CDs and delete all our MP3s, and rather than listening to all this music that apparently sucks (cause some guy on the internet said so), we either argue about things that are entirely subjective (like taste in music, for example), or sit in complete silence.

Good plan.