Most overrated bands?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
What do you feel the most overrated bands are in history?

My top 3...

3. Led Zeppelin. Decent band, but unworthy of the pedestal they've been placed upon. Most of their music is imbecilic.

2. Dave Matthews Band. Similar to the Grateful Dead, their popularity seems to exhibit an inverse relationship to their musical talent.

1. George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Don't even think i need to elaborate on this one.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Nsync
Backstreet Boys
Linkin Park
Anything on MTV...

And no the aren't the most overrated in history, but I can't remember back that far :eek::)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Linkin Park is an excellent band. Have you listened to their CD?

Ryan

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1

My top 3...

3. Led Zeppelin. Decent band, but unworthy of the pedestal they've been placed upon. Most of their music is imbecilic.

2. Dave Matthews Band. Similar to the Grateful Dead, their popularity seems to exhibit an inverse relationship to their musical talent.

1. George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Don't even think i need to elaborate on this one.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Led Zeppelin established a lot of the music forms we listen to today. They invented "heavy metal," they popularized blues rock, and they made folk music cool.

Dave mathews..............yeah, I agree with you there.

As for George----he's a HELLUVA guitar player. No overrating there. See him live once and you'll leave with your jaw hanging open. If anything, he's very UNDERRATED.

Artists that are truely overated: Aerosmith (have they had a good song in the last 10 years???), Paul McCartney (same deal...but he hasn't had a good song in 20 years :) ), and David Bowie (just plain AWFUL :( ).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Linkin Park is an excellent band. Have you listened to their CD?

Ryan

Yeah, unfortunately I hear it all of the time. I just don't like it. I don't care if other people do though, I just won't listen to it. I do care when they have it turned up to the point I'm forced to listen, no matter what though.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I agree with boy bands but I don't agree with Linkin Park. I think their music is very good. :)

: ) Amanda

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I don't classify pop music as a valid choice in this matter because everyone knows they're force-fed to the general public. It's not like the can be over/underrated when the record industry doesn't give us a choice about listening to them. :)

1. Metallica. All their songs are somber 10 minute ballads with no variety. Plus they are whores.
2. Blink 182. These no talent fsckballs aren't worth the flesh they're printed on. They have no innate talent whatsoever, they are dumber than rocks, yet are adored by millions of pubescent girls. Their success is the first sign of the Apocalypse.
3. Gorillaz. Don't get me wrong, Damon Albarn is a freaking genius, and Gorillaz is a great concept but when you put out consistently bad stage shows and most of your material is just remixes of your old material, you lose credit.
4. Linkin Park. Yes, their debut CD is good, but they don't deserve nearly half the fame that they've got. They're not THAT good.
5. Staind. They were good, now they're whiny and sucky.

And most definitely:

INCUBUS. WTF. I think their fans are like musical crack addicts. Start them off with good stuff then slowly ramp down the quality and they're so goddamn dumb they don't realize you SUCK NUTS. I want to vomit every time I hear a new Incubus song on the radio. They're just boring and stupid now.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
weezer

they're good but not as good as you would be led to believe

and britney spears, but that only tricks little girls and horny boys.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Blink 182. I can't STAND them, and they're PLAYED EVERYWHERE. F U CLEAR CHANNEL.

Jan 9, 2002
I'll side with Linkin Park as well- not usually into that kind of music, but it seems to have found a niche with me. Not much sounds better cranked 'to 11' some days.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: glenn1

My top 3...

You're entitled to your opinion, but Led Zeppelin established a lot of the music forms we listen to today. They invented "heavy metal," they popularized blues rock, and they made folk music cool.

Dave mathews..............yeah, I agree with you there.

As for George----he's a HELLUVA guitar player. No overrating there. See him live once and you'll leave with your jaw hanging open. If anything, he's very UNDERRATED.

Artists that are truely overated: Aerosmith (have they had a good song in the last 10 years???), Paul McCartney (same deal...but he hasn't had a good song in 20 years :) ), and David Bowie (just plain AWFUL :( ).

I agree with everything you said, but I want to add AC/DC to your overrated list. ;)

And if anybody says Styx is overrated, I'm going to kick their ass. :p

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Xerox Man
I agree with everything you said, but I want to add AC/DC to your overrated list. ;)

AC/DC overrated?!?! Them's fighting words!
Well, fine, STYX IS OVERRATED. You don't dare touch AC/DC, I get dibs on kicking your butt!!!!! :p

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

Well, fine, STYX IS OVERRATED. You don't dare touch AC/DC, I get dibs on kicking your butt!!!!! :p
I cant listen to ACDC. Lead singers' voice sounds like his testicles are caught in a rusty door hinge. Angus can play, but he's got his own set of issues.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Styx is not overrated!!! :p

amnesiac 2.0 - Are you one of those jaded Incubus fans from the Fungus Amongus era? :p. What's wrong with a band evolving? Personally, I still think S.C.I.E.C.E is their best album but I do love everything they have done.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Styx is overrated.

Assholes. ;)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Overrated = bands others like but don't appeal to me so they must suck.
rolleye.gif

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I don't classify pop music as a valid choice in this matter because everyone knows they're force-fed to the general public. It's not like the can be over/underrated when the record industry doesn't give us a choice about listening to them. :)

1. Metallica. All their songs are somber 10 minute ballads with no variety. Plus they are whores.
2. Blink 182. These no talent fsckballs aren't worth the flesh they're printed on. They have no innate talent whatsoever, they are dumber than rocks, yet are adored by millions of pubescent girls. Their success is the first sign of the Apocalypse.
3. Gorillaz. Don't get me wrong, Damon Albarn is a freaking genius, and Gorillaz is a great concept but when you put out consistently bad stage shows and most of your material is just remixes of your old material, you lose credit.
4. Linkin Park. Yes, their debut CD is good, but they don't deserve nearly half the fame that they've got. They're not THAT good.
5. Staind. They were good, now they're whiny and sucky.

And most definitely:

INCUBUS. WTF. I think their fans are like musical crack addicts. Start them off with good stuff then slowly ramp down the quality and they're so goddamn dumb they don't realize you SUCK NUTS. I want to vomit every time I hear a new Incubus song on the radio. They're just boring and stupid now.

heh, i agree 110%.

1. I used to love Metallica back when I was like 10, but that wore out fast.

2. I hate Blink. All of their crap sounds exactly alike, and if they didn't have the looks no one would give them a second thought.
3. I liked Gorillaz when they first came out, but then it wore thin.
4. Linkin Park, well I've already stated that I think they are crap. Maybe not complete crap, but not what everyone makes it out to be. I think they are like the new wave of boy bands for people who hate pop.
5. And finally Staind. WHat can I say? They're Staind. I liked Break the Cycle, but that's it.