Most modern day Nerds take 6 hours longer to get a car deal made.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: Insane3D
So, why should someone coming into the dealer have to buy TODAY? What's with the constant are you ready today's?

Why can't someone come in and shop around?

:confused:

You go to a clothing store to shop around.

If you're in the market for a new car, it's not like you gotta wait until next week's paycheck before you can confirm something. The answer to this question is always "If there is something on the lot that matches the qualifications I need/want in a car." You don't go to a car lot to go window shopping. You go because you need or want a new car, and wait a week, wait a month, unless what is on the lot changes, you're just as likely to be able to buy today or next month.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying... IMO, if I'm spending more money on something than I have in my life to this point, I sure as hell am going to take my time. I don't see the point of just walking into one dealer and just buying the car that day unless I really needed to. I plan on buying a new car sometime within the next few months...at the EARLIEST.

What I'm saying is that if you know what kind of car you want and you are intending to buy, there is no reason to give the sales guy the "No, I'm just looking" line, because they know if you are on a car lot, then you're looking for a car. If you're looking for a car, then 99 times out of 100 there is no reason to think that if you find the car you are looking for, that you're just going to go home and wait a month to buy it.

It's a different story if you know you are there because you anticipate buying a new car but you are certain it won't be for another couple months, but like I said, if you came looking for a car there's no reason to dodge the question of "are you looking to buy today?" The point I'm making is that the salesman asks that because they want to know if you are in the market, or if you are just doing your homework... basically whether or not they should waste their time with you. Like you said, if you're spending more money than you have at the time... and the next month you aren't going to have that money either.... there's a good chance that you might not have it in the next year. If you're going to finance, one day is as good as another for buying a car.

Obviously you should do your research rather than just walking in, plopping your name down on paper and driving off.

If you ever want a salesperson to leave you alone, just tell them you have no intrest in buying for at least a couple of months and you just want to see the cars you hear about on TV in person so you know which ones to research. They'll probably just grab some brochures on the ones you ask about and leave you for a possible sale.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I wait til the end of the year and watch the salesguy do their monkey dances.

DANCE MONKEY DANCE!

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
<--- nerd

First time buying a car (truck) I sent faxes to all the dealers that had it within about 70 miles. asked for best deal, and said right on it I would buy from dealer who had the best deal.

took like 2 days of faxing, got for 4k under sticker, free bedliner and a bunch of oil changes

@nd time, went to one dealer, said 'I'll pay this only this, take it or leave it. The came back with counter offer, I said I wasn't joking. they said no. I said call me if you change your mind, I'm going to another dealer. bye.

first place called back, accepted.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kranky
Just went through a car purchase a couple weeks ago. When the salesman approached us, I explained if we could find the right car we were ready to buy. Found what we wanted, drove it, I said I am ready to wrap things up and I will pay $X out the door. I let him see I had a folder with printouts of cars from different dealerships. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Well, I can ask." As he got up to go to the sales manager, I said, "If that doesn't work, I'm headed over to ABC dealership. I don't want to waste your time or mine. I can see you're busy today and the sooner we can finish, the sooner you can wait on another customer."

He came back, said it was OK, we went to lunch while they prepped it and came back to pick it up and sign papers. Total time in the building was about 30 minutes.

Walking in like that makes you both their best friend and their worst enemy...it's the only way to do it. They love you cause its a quick and easy sale, but they hate you cause they couldn't screw you in the slightest bit.

Salesmen like to make you believe that if you don't buy what he's offering, you're gonna miss out. Just gotta remember that youre the one with the money, and it's up to you to turn that back around on them.

If you just go in there and lowball them, they'll write you off as a douchebag. If you go in there, openly display that you know what youre talking about, show that you're in control, and hit them with a reasonable offer, you'll be just fine.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: kranky
Just went through a car purchase a couple weeks ago. When the salesman approached us, I explained if we could find the right car we were ready to buy. Found what we wanted, drove it, I said I am ready to wrap things up and I will pay $X out the door. I let him see I had a folder with printouts of cars from different dealerships. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Well, I can ask." As he got up to go to the sales manager, I said, "If that doesn't work, I'm headed over to ABC dealership. I don't want to waste your time or mine. I can see you're busy today and the sooner we can finish, the sooner you can wait on another customer."

He came back, said it was OK, we went to lunch while they prepped it and came back to pick it up and sign papers. Total time in the building was about 30 minutes.

Walking in like that makes you both their best friend and their worst enemy...it's the only way to do it. They love you cause its a quick and easy sale, but they hate you cause they couldn't screw you in the slightest bit.

Salesmen like to make you believe that if you don't buy what he's offering, you're gonna miss out. Just gotta remember that youre the one with the money, and it's up to you to turn that back around on them.

If you just go in there and lowball them, they'll write you off as a douchebag. If you go in there, openly display that you know what youre talking about, show that you're in control, and hit them with a reasonable offer, you'll be just fine.

Yeah, but you also have to consider that it was probably the easiest sale of the week and it was a sale that was going to happen either with you, or with someone else, so it might as well be you.

I can't speak from experience, but if I was a sales guy and someone came on to my lot and just said "hey, all you have to do for a sale is go ask your boss if you can sell for this price" Then I don't think I'd complain in the slightest.