Most modern day Nerds take 6 hours longer to get a car deal made.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
6 hours *longer*. How long did it used to take? :Q

My last 4 new purchases didn't take 6 hours *combined*.

I left about $500 on the table each time for the dealer but I really have better things to do than sit around for 8 hours trying to eeek out another couple hundred bucks.

Not counting test drives, the longest I've spent is about an hour doing "the deal". And that includes the finance office and all the paper signing.

Next new car I buy will be even less than that since my employer has invoice pricing deals with most of the dealers around here. I walk in, slap down the badge and walk away with no haggling.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Kaido
1. I'm glad I lease
2. I'm glad that Saturn has a no-haggle policy
Leasing is throwing away money.

EVERY dealership has a no-haggle policy. If you dont haggle, they dont haggle.
Saturn is NOT special.

Leasing a car is like owning a Mac: it's not for everyone. I will probably never buy a car again. I absolutely love leasing. I wanted a low-hassle, reliable car to get me to work and around town and back, and leasing offered that. I don't like haggling, I don't like dealing with customer service issues, and I don't like selling my old car. With the lease, I take it in once a month for regular maintenance, a car wash, and a vacuum job. When the lease is over, I just drive it back to the dealership and hand over the keys. I pay less each month than I would if I were buying it. It's like renting a car or an apartment or using Netflix...you're paying for the time you use it. I would rather spend my time working on computers than fixing a car I own, too. It just depends on what you want out of a car.

As far as the no-haggle policy goes, Saturns have a set price. Take it or leave it. There is no pressure from the sales people because they can't haggle. It's night and day compared to other dealerships.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
1. I'm glad I lease

Saturn is NOT special.

Leasing a car is like owning a Mac: it's not for everyone. I will probably never buy a car again. I absolutely love leasing. I wanted a low-hassle, reliable car to get me to work and around town and back, and leasing offered that. I don't like haggling, I don't like dealing with customer service issues, and I don't like selling my old car. With the lease, I take it in once a month for regular maintenance, a car wash, and a vacuum job. When the lease is over, I just drive it back to the dealership and hand over the keys. I pay less each month than I would if I were buying it. It's like renting a car or an apartment or using Netflix...you're paying for the time you use it. I would rather spend my time working on computers than fixing a car I own, too. It just depends on what you want out of a car.

As far as the no-haggle policy goes, Saturns have a set price. Take it or leave it. There is no pressure from the sales people because they can't haggle. It's night and day compared to other dealerships.

Don't let lease-haters get you down...they're simply uneducated about the subject and most will refuse to learn more about it. It can be a great option for certain people.

And Saturn's "no-haggle" policy is great...it's not like other dealerships as this is a corporate policy, not the independant dealers. Sure, they make some money, but you'll never get screwed buying a new Saturn.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
1. I'm glad I lease

Not all geeks are built the same ;) When I went to go get a newer/better car than the junkpile I had, the salesman was like why don't you just lease? It's cheaper and we cover maintenance. I came back later that afternoon to pick it up and insurance was set, it was registered with the DMV, the plates were on it, and I got handed the keys and was told to have a good day. Love it!

All a no-haggle policy means is that you're paying too much. They built in a set markup (or dealer profit) on all the vehicles. It's like you're paying somewhere between msrp and invoice. When I bought my '03 Maxima I looked at a "no-haggle" dealership but ended up getting a quote for $1,000 less from a Nissan dealership in Costa Mesa. I drove up there and bought the car that weekend. Yeah, I'll drive an hour to save $1,000.

Looking for good values like loss leaders helps too. I bought my Maxima when the '04 had been in showrooms for about a month. Dealers were trying to get rid of the old '03 (which was slightly smaller than the '03 Nissan Altima at the time). I got the car for $5k off msrp and 1.9% financing. Oh, and I got them to come up to within $200 of the "no-haggle" dealership offered me on my trade-in (they were asking $1,200 more for the exact same car though). We never once talked about payments and the only reason I went with dealer financing was the low interest rate. :thumbsup:

Have you seen Saturn's prices? They are pretty good compared to other car companies. I don't feel like I overpaid. I pay about $200 a month to lease my '05 Saturn sedan and I am very happy with it. Maintenance was included. I have no qualms with Saturn. VW is another story...

I wouldn't buy a Saturn. So, no, I haven't seen Saturn's prices.

I paid $22,900 for my '03 Maxima brand new. It had 6 miles on it when I took it for a test drive. It's the SE model with power moonroof, 17" alloy wheels, tilt wheel, power windows/door locks, keyless entry, cruise control, HID headlights, foglights, intermittent wipers, power driver's seat, power mirrors, rear spoiler, 3.5l 255hp V6 engine (same engine that's in the 350Z and the G35), 4spd automatic, CD w/6 speaker audio, A/C, and Homelink transmitter.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
My last deal was easy since I was using one of Ford's pricing plans. The hard part was finding the color and options I wanted without placing a special order...

Jan 31, 2002
In the spirit of compuwiz1's story, here's mine.

M4H enters dealership.

Salesman: Hi, welcome to WeBlowYou Motors, how can I help you?
M4H: Hi. I'd like to buy that car. *points*
Salesman: Certainly sir, shall we-
M4H: For this much. *hands over sheet detailing purchase*
Salesman (dollar signs vanishing rapidly from eyes): Oh.
M4H: You can go ahead and bring that to your manager, I'll wait.

After 10 minutes of waiting, salesman returns with manager.

Manager: You don't fsck around when you want something, do you.
M4H: Nope. It's a fair price, is it not?
Manager: Biased towards you, but yes, it is fair. Sold.
M4H: Sweet.

- M4H

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
it's not really the salesmen who piss me off. It's the finance people. Goddamn I hate those guys.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
"white skinny leg" ??? Asians can be nerds too... come on!

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Marinski
i leased my car only because it was dirt cheap. I don't have to worry about a monthly car payment. I just did a one pay for a 2 year lease.

Ok, now I am a big fan of leases (in the right situations), but unless they gave you an additional discount for paying all at once that was a really stupid move. You could have kept the cash in the bank earning interest for 2 years and probably even scheduled automatic payments every month.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
it's not really the salesmen who piss me off. It's the finance people. Goddamn I hate those guys.

LOL, I know what you mean, and that's what I do for a living....work day in, day out, with people who hate finance people. We'll it's a job, and somebody's gotta do it. ;)

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Wow i didn't know geeks did'nt take test drives of other cars they had in mind

thetxstang

Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

Truer words have never been spoken here. Those F&I dudes are the suck!

When I purchased my new 2007 Camry XLE V6 for $200 over invoice back in May, it was the F&I guy that gave me the most trouble and made the buying experience so miserable. He went so far as to try and tack on a "$25 car wash fee" and a "$50 car preparation fee!" Of course I stuck to my guns and prevailed in the end, but he used some of the most egregious tactics I've ever experienced.

CravenTacos

Aug 15, 2005
before i bought my Murano i went to several Nissan dealers in the area...one of the dealers had this really aggressive guy who kept on asking what he had to do to get me to buy the car that day. I told him the price range vs the options I wanted, and he grabbed a blank sheet of paper and wrote up a 'tentative pricing agreement'. He told me some BS about how he wanted to see how committed I was to buying TODAY by signing this 'If I can get you this vehicle for $xxxxx, you'll purchase today' agreement, which he also claimed was a standrard Nissan selling practice. I told him I don't sign contracts unless I'm ready to buy but he didn't let up. So i signed someone else's name since he couldn't even remember mine at this point. 10 minutes later he comes back with his manager and a smile saying they've got THE vehicle for me at the peak of my price range, but of course with none of my required options. I told him no thanks. And he started waving the sheet around talking about our 'contract'. I politely told him that even if he had gotten the vehicle below my price with ALL of the options I wouldn't buy it from the dealership because of their practice of unlawful hand written-agreements coupled with duress. I told them to check the signature next time and walked out.

Marinski

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2006
classicboxingfights.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Originally posted by: Marinski
i leased my car only because it was dirt cheap. I don't have to worry about a monthly car payment. I just did a one pay for a 2 year lease.

Ok, now I am a big fan of leases (in the right situations), but unless they gave you an additional discount for paying all at once that was a really stupid move. You could have kept the cash in the bank earning interest for 2 years and probably even scheduled automatic payments every month.

I payed $2200 out the door for a 24 month lease. I forgot how much more it would of been to do a monthly thing but it was somewhere around $600-700 maybe, i don't remember the exact amount I'd have to look back at the papers. You pay more if you do monthly payments opposed to a one-pay.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
In the spirit of compuwiz1's story, here's mine.

M4H enters dealership.

Salesman: Hi, welcome to WeBlowYou Motors, how can I help you?
M4H: Hi. I'd like to buy that car. *points*
Salesman: Certainly sir, shall we-
M4H: For this much. *hands over sheet detailing purchase*
Salesman (dollar signs vanishing rapidly from eyes): Oh.
M4H: You can go ahead and bring that to your manager, I'll wait.

After 10 minutes of waiting, salesman returns with manager.

Manager: You don't fsck around when you want something, do you.
M4H: Nope. It's a fair price, is it not?
Manager: Biased towards you, but yes, it is fair. Sold.
M4H: Sweet.

- M4H

It's really that simple. You have to go in there knowing EVERYTHING about the car. The salesman is merely there to let you drive it for final confirmation - don't rely on him for any advice or information...and make sure he knows that you know everything about it, and everything you need. Dont ask a *single* question. They will do anything to control the situation, but you can't let them. Don't offer them any information about yourself, dont make friends, but don't be a dick....just go in there strictly business.

First off, get your own financing. That removes half their power, and half their trickery.

Come in informed and equipped, and know the price they paid for the car. Give them $500 profit, like the other poster said. Print it all out - the invoice price off the website you found it, and add your price right below it - this is proof you did your research. Hand it to him, and tell him thats what you're willing to pay, take it or leave it.

Also, have with you a list of all of the other dealers in your area that have that car, with addresses and phone numbers. Make sure they see it. If you really wanna be gangsta, make sure their name is on top of the list, and theres several others below it. When they walk away to talk to their manager, whip out your cell phone, and call the next dealership on the list. Tell THAT dealership the plain truth - you're sitting in so and so's dealership, waiting to hear if they accepted your offer. Tell them if they'll beat it, you'll drop everything and come on down to their place.

Let the dealership fear that every second they wait is going to blow the whole deal. Car salesman are always trying to keep control over the situation, but you can never let them, even for a second.

When they come out, don't haggle, don't budge a cent. If they take it, you're done. If they don't, immediately cross their name out off your list right in front of them, and immediately walk out the door. Don't say a word other than "thanks for your time." Don't try to convince them with reason, convince them with action. Whip out your list and cell phone as you walk out, and ignore them. They'll most likely stop you. If they have anything to say but "we have a deal", continue walking out.

If, after they have agreed, at any point try and change the offer, walk out immediately.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
The other thing I did when I got my last car was told the sales monkey flat out that after 1 test drive I won't take up any of his time. I said I'll email you in a couple days with an offer and that will be it. I came in late on a Tuesday night and did the paperwork and that was it. All it all it was about 45 minutes of his time most of which was the paperwork and bs'ing as they brought the car around. He could spend 2hrs on a Saturday afternoon arguing over a couple grand with someone or he can cut an easy and painless deal w me for a little less and get back on the floor and work on the other customers. Try to make it a little more painless for them and it can save you some money. On the flipside if they're being dicks then make it as painful as possible.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Sorry to say this, but there is a new age of education arriving on a car lot near you.
Most geeks have done their homework, already know what they want, whats available, and what is the right price to pay.

Take a Nerd, on the other hand, and he skulks onto the lot, in a most obscure way, parking way back, somewhere in the service department, so as to not blow his cover. His Volvo 240DL at hand, for his hasty escape, if needed.

He looks around, then cautiously pulls the door handle, making sure his notebook and pocket protector did not fall out , and his sunglasses did not slip above his eyes. The white skinny leg, clad in a white sock and Ked's, slowly slips out of the car. Too Late! Bob, the service manager, being fast on his feet, has already observed Mr. Birkenstock, and quickly phones the front desk. Nerd Alert, crossing the lot at vector 18!

Yes customers, we know all your tricks too! ;)

There are too many combined years of experience not to. :)

***Disclaimer- This thread is all in fun, not real world. ***

I can agree almost 10 years ago they saw me coming in with printed internet papers on what I should pay in my higher than average area.

As soon as they bished and told me I was insane I walked, did not return calls.

Got many cars for the price I wanted.

However, I was not ever driving home in it that day.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just went through a car purchase a couple weeks ago. When the salesman approached us, I explained if we could find the right car we were ready to buy. Found what we wanted, drove it, I said I am ready to wrap things up and I will pay $X out the door. I let him see I had a folder with printouts of cars from different dealerships. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Well, I can ask." As he got up to go to the sales manager, I said, "If that doesn't work, I'm headed over to ABC dealership. I don't want to waste your time or mine. I can see you're busy today and the sooner we can finish, the sooner you can wait on another customer."

He came back, said it was OK, we went to lunch while they prepped it and came back to pick it up and sign papers. Total time in the building was about 30 minutes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
1. I'm glad I lease

Saturn is NOT special.
Don't let lease-haters get you down...they're simply uneducated about the subject and most will refuse to learn more about it. It can be a great option for certain people.
And Saturn's "no-haggle" policy is great...it's not like other dealerships as this is a corporate policy, not the independant dealers. Sure, they make some money, but you'll never get screwed buying a new Saturn.
As a matter of fact, I was educated about leasing a car. Twice in school during senior high and once in college. It was layed out very clearly to me why leasing is a bad idea.
And you ALWAYS get screwed buying a Saturn because of their policy. You look at all the features and build quality of a Saturn car, then research something comparable with another company and you can have that vehicle a couple thousand to several thousand dollars cheaper just because you dont want to be a tool.

Look at the guys above me, M4H and DB2003 have good strategies. Some of which I learned when I got into a seminar for buying cars.
(No I didnt pay for that either. It was a normally payed-for seminar that some friends and I got for free.)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
See, with all the info out there, buying a car should be a really simple thing. The "Nerds" I was referring to, really come from one guy I remember from a recent dealing. He was educated to the point, where he was so anal about every little detail, the he could not make a simple decision.
He literally made a dozen or more phone calls to his Dad. Now I could understand a young person, or first time buyer doing this, but this guy was almost 40 years old!

When he was told he needed to come up with $3000 down to get to the payment he wanted, it was ok, I need a minute to call my dad.

son: they need $3000 down to get to my payment.
son: should I put the money down?

At every turn, where he had to make a decision, he was on the phone. He made it much more difficult that it had to be, and it took about 5 hours to make the deal.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Here is my story of how I bought my brand new crossover SUV:

I did my research on the net, knew what I want and the true cost of the dealer, test drove similar model from a friend. I picked up a copy of Sunday newspaper from Dallas and saw an ad with a great price for that SUV <dealer cost plus $50>.

I went to the local dealer, asked for the internet sale manager, told him that I want and that I was ready to buy that day <you should saw his eyes>. Show him the ad <original and not copy>, told him if he could beat or met that price, then I would signed a certified check for the whole price of the vehicle, no need to waste tim for finance/credit check/etc.

He went back to talk with the General Manager, went back out after 5 minutes, shook my hand and said we had a deal. I went back the next day and gave him the check, picked up the key, and drove home.

Total time in the dealership = 30 minutes for everything.

Bottom line = know what you want, be firm but fair and polite = everyone happy.