Most modern day Nerds take 6 hours longer to get a car deal made.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I guess I fall under the "geek" category. I was done in about an hour last time and the dealer was reasonable.

Though I kept having to repeat the words "I don't need financing" every 5 minutes.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
So, why should someone coming into the dealer have to buy TODAY? What's with the constant are you ready today's?

Why can't someone come in and shop around?

:confused:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Take a Nerd, on the other hand, and he skulks onto the lot, in a most obscure way, parking way back, somewhere in the service department, so as to not blow his cover. His Volvo 240DL at hand, for his hasty escape, if needed.

He looks around, then cautiously pulls the door handle, making sure his notebook and pocket protector did not fall out , and his sunglasses did not slip above his eyes. The white skinny leg, clad in a white sock and Ked's, slowly slips out of the car. Too Late! Bob, the service manager, being fast on his feet, has already observed Mr. Birkenstock, and quickly phones the front desk. Nerd Alert, crossing the lot at vector 18!

Yes customers, we know all your tricks too! ;)

There are too many combined years of experience not to. :)

huh?

dont get it

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3D
So, why should someone coming into the dealer have to buy TODAY? What's with the constant are you ready today's?

If someone ever asked if I was ready to buy today, I think my answer would be: "I can afford to pay for the car, if that's what your asking". Because that is the only question I can really fathom is behind it all. A PC way of saying "Can you really afford this?".

I've never been asked if I was ready to buy today.

What I don't understand is the distinction in the OP between geek and nerd. The reality is that 1 example was a first time buyer feeling uncomfortable with the situation he was being put in and the other was obviously a car enthusiast looking for a very specific model.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

From the dealers view point, if you walk away, you may not come back.

If you are serious about getting the vehicle today; they will put more effort into attempting to keep you on the lot rather than going down the street to the comnpetition who may give you a "better" deal.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: skace

If someone ever asked if I was ready to buy today, I think my answer would be: "I can afford to pay for the car, if that's what your asking". Because that is the only question I can really fathom is behind it all. A PC way of saying "Can you really afford this?".

I've never been asked if I was ready to buy today.

What I don't understand is the distinction in the OP between geek and nerd. The reality is that 1 example was a first time buyer feeling uncomfortable with the situation he was being put in and the other was obviously a car enthusiast looking for a very specific model.

They want you to buy TODAY because tomarrow you might look at another dealership. I left three dealerships because they didn't understand that I didn't want to buy what was on the lot and I was willing to wait for exactly what I wanted.

V8+manual Dakotas seem rare, but are alot of fun :)

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Where can I find the dealer price of new cars? Not the sticker price but the price the dealer paid for it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1. I'm glad I lease
2. I'm glad that Saturn has a no-haggle policy

Not all geeks are built the same ;) When I went to go get a newer/better car than the junkpile I had, the salesman was like why don't you just lease? It's cheaper and we cover maintenance. I came back later that afternoon to pick it up and insurance was set, it was registered with the DMV, the plates were on it, and I got handed the keys and was told to have a good day. Love it!

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ahhhhh dealerships.....fun times. When I bought my car in the summer I brought along backup, being 21 and all I'm sure I looked like fresh meat to those dealers. Backup being my mother who is a CEO of a credit union and has worked finances all her adult life.

She beat that salesman like an addled schoolchild lemme tell you. I just stood there in awe as she haggled the price down. KBB suggest retail for an excellent condition(which it is) was 9,080. After she was through with that guy, I walked away with the car for 7,000 even after tax, title and plates. Needless to say the owner of the dealership was pissed. Their revenge was taking over a month to get my new plates...which at that point my mom threatened legal action against the dealership and 60 minutes later they DELIVERED the plates to my house.....hehe.

Just gotta know how to work the system.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Did you guys figure this trick out?

A lot of places let you do test drives for up to 24 hours on new cars. When you bring your car in for service, they don't offer free rentals anymore.

So...I drop my car off, then do the "free test drive" until my car is finished. :D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'd shoot myself in the face if a car deal ever took more than 2 hours max!

Do all your research online and then walk in to the dealership with a quote from the internet/fleet manager and financing all lined up. The only thing left to negotiate is the possible trade and I've threatened to walk based on a dealer under valuing my trade in (if they don't cave I would walk too).

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I've only bought 1 new car and I got pounded up the ass because of my lack of experience. I got taken 2 ways :

Car was advertised with free sunroof (750$ value it said) but they had none and he refused to compensate me for difference which I allowed
He lowered the price down by only 500$ (on a 26k lease) which was still wayyy above MSRP/Invoice

I accepted it because I wanted a car right then and there but next time I will understand their game. I will go knowing the price I want to pay and not accept anything else. For that sunroof *bonus* thing, I will simply tell them that they lower the price or I walk and when they say no, just walk out.

When I had time to sit down and think about my purchase, I realized that it was people like me that allowed the dealers to lead us by the nose. I let him push me around and probably paid 2-3k higher than I could have.

sindows

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
My dad has a set formula for buying cars and it actually works. He'll let the dealer make $500(minus factory rebates if applicable) per car and slaps down a take it or leave it offer. If one dealer doesn't like it, take it to another dealer. Usually within trips to 3 different dealers, one will accept the offer. If you're buying premium cars, let the dealer make 1,000. Simple as that. This method has worked every time he has negotiated for a car whether for our family or for friends. The method isn't foolproof however, it doesn't apply to used cars...

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
My buddy was a pro when it came to buying a car. I went in with him to buy a brand new truck. He told the guy everything truck had to have and the brought out a really nice one. We drove it and then went back to the salesman's cubicle and he told the guy he would take it for about $8k than the sticker had, and he kept any rebates that came with it. The guy said he would have to check. My buddy got a magazine and set there. The guy would come in with an offer and my bud just kept reading, never said a word. This went on for about 40 min and the gave him the truck and everything he wanted.

Oh after we were done driving it, he made them park it where he could see it so they couldnt switch it on him for a cheaper model.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaido
1. I'm glad I lease

Not all geeks are built the same ;) When I went to go get a newer/better car than the junkpile I had, the salesman was like why don't you just lease? It's cheaper and we cover maintenance. I came back later that afternoon to pick it up and insurance was set, it was registered with the DMV, the plates were on it, and I got handed the keys and was told to have a good day. Love it!

All a no-haggle policy means is that you're paying too much. They built in a set markup (or dealer profit) on all the vehicles. It's like you're paying somewhere between msrp and invoice. When I bought my '03 Maxima I looked at a "no-haggle" dealership but ended up getting a quote for $1,000 less from a Nissan dealership in Costa Mesa. I drove up there and bought the car that weekend. Yeah, I'll drive an hour to save $1,000.

Looking for good values like loss leaders helps too. I bought my Maxima when the '04 had been in showrooms for about a month. Dealers were trying to get rid of the old '03 (which was slightly smaller than the '03 Nissan Altima at the time). I got the car for $5k off msrp and 1.9% financing. Oh, and I got them to come up to within $200 of the "no-haggle" dealership offered me on my trade-in (they were asking $1,200 more for the exact same car though). We never once talked about payments and the only reason I went with dealer financing was the low interest rate. :thumbsup:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
1. I'm glad I lease
Leasing is throwing away money.

EVERY dealership has a no-haggle policy. If you dont haggle, they dont haggle.
Saturn is NOT special.

sindows

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
The thing about car salespeople is that they're people like you and I. I'm sure they hate the negotiation process just as much as the buyer does. Walk into a dealer and treat the salesperson with respect and dignity and everyone walks out a winner. They sell a car and you get a good deal. Many people fail to realize this and treat salespeople like crap and if I were that salesperson, I sure as hell would rather not sell a car to that ass sitting in front of me.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

You go to a clothing store to shop around.

If you're in the market for a new car, it's not like you gotta wait until next week's paycheck before you can confirm something. The answer to this question is always "If there is something on the lot that matches the qualifications I need/want in a car." You don't go to a car lot to go window shopping. You go because you need or want a new car, and wait a week, wait a month, unless what is on the lot changes, you're just as likely to be able to buy today or next month.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury

You go to a clothing store to shop around.

If you're in the market for a new car, it's not like you gotta wait until next week's paycheck before you can confirm something. The answer to this question is always "If there is something on the lot that matches the qualifications I need/want in a car." You don't go to a car lot to go window shopping. You go because you need or want a new car, and wait a week, wait a month, unless what is on the lot changes, you're just as likely to be able to buy today or next month.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying... IMO, if I'm spending more money on something than I have in my life to this point, I sure as hell am going to take my time. I don't see the point of just walking into one dealer and just buying the car that day unless I really needed to. I plan on buying a new car sometime within the next few months...at the EARLIEST.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
1. I'm glad I lease

All a no-haggle policy means is that you're paying too much. They built in a set markup (or dealer profit) on all the vehicles. It's like you're paying somewhere between msrp and invoice. When I bought my '03 Maxima I looked at a "no-haggle" dealership but ended up getting a quote for $1,000 less from a Nissan dealership in Costa Mesa. I drove up there and bought the car that weekend. Yeah, I'll drive an hour to save $1,000.

Looking for good values like loss leaders helps too. I bought my Maxima when the '04 had been in showrooms for about a month. Dealers were trying to get rid of the old '03 (which was slightly smaller than the '03 Nissan Altima at the time). I got the car for $5k off msrp and 1.9% financing. Oh, and I got them to come up to within $200 of the "no-haggle" dealership offered me on my trade-in (they were asking $1,200 more for the exact same car though). We never once talked about payments and the only reason I went with dealer financing was the low interest rate. :thumbsup:

Have you seen Saturn's prices? They are pretty good compared to other car companies. I don't feel like I overpaid. I pay about $200 a month to lease my '05 Saturn sedan and I am very happy with it. Maintenance was included. I have no qualms with Saturn. VW is another story...