most likely a noob question, but please help!

EvilKupo

Jan 13, 2010
Ok, so my friend is building a new computer and I'm going to buy the RAM for her. I have a stick of Hyperx 2GB (KHX1600C9AD3) and my idea was to buy another stick of that exact ram plus 2 sticks of the similar type but 4GB so there would be a total of 12GB of RAM, would this work okay?

I couldn't find the exact answer to this question, the only answer I found was "sometimes" mixing ram works, but I thought maybe if it was the same brand and everything it would work, just didn't want to buy it and not have it work.

Thank you!

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
I don't think there is a 100% for-sure guarantee that even getting the same brand and the same spec ram will work. I would just get ram with similar specs, just because I've never had ram that didn't work together.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
What is this computer for, if the answer is gaming/web surfing then just get 2 x 4gb and be done with it, this will be more RAM than she ever uses.

EvilKupo

Jan 13, 2010
it's for gaming but also picture editing. I already have a 2GB so it will either be get 3 more 2 GB for 8 gigs or 1 more 2GB and 2 4GB for 12...reading online says that the more is better, with 8 being minimum for a good photo editing machine.

noblemo

Apr 15, 2011
Is the existing RAM at the highest allowable speed for the mobo? In the past I have found it cheaper to upgrade to a new matched set rather than trying to mix and match. As Puppies04 recommended, just use new 2 x 4GB; you can always add more later if needed. This is for a 64-bit OS, correct? Does the mobo use dual or triple channel memory? (If three-channel, go with 3 x 4GB).

Last edited: