Most fun game with a joystick?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I've never really had a joystick except way back in the 90's that I hardly used, until yesterday. Grabbed an Attack 3 from Logitech on clearance at Best Buy.

I've been trying some legit flight games a bit, but I was wondering about any like... space flight sims, etc. Even if they're older. I think I have Descent Freespace somewhere. Never did play that.

I've heard a lot of good things about X-Wing and Tie-Fighter, etc.

I *prefer* something that's not so ancient, but I could probably deal with an older game like that.

I'm just looking to hear what people think the most fun game that is best played with a joystick EVER is :)

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
BF3 plays nicely with joysticks in jets and choppers I hear. Though then you're also going to be spending a fair amount of time not using it as well I'd imagine.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I'm not sure if joysticks work with it but I would imagine it would be very useful in Planetside 2, which is basically an aerial combat game with dozens of people fighting below you that you can bomb at will with little to no problem.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Freespace 2 easily. The original game is awesome and there have been a lot of fan created content too.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Virtual Valerie. Oh, wait. That's MY Joystick.

On a more serious note, I would have to say X-Wing/Tie Fighter. That whole series was awesome with a Joystick.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
X3 Albion Prelude plays well with a joystick as a modern game. Other than that, most flight type fighters are pretty old that I know of.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I've been trying some Freespace 2, need to refine my config more on that but it seems promising.

I've also been playing Air Conflicts - Secret Wars because it was like $3 on Steam.

I'm downloading the HAWX demo now.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Freespace 2 was fun. I didn't make it through all the mods, but did play Inferno.

I was a big fan of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, and liked X-Wing: Alliance too.

Someone needs to create a new space flight sim.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Freespace 2 was fun. I didn't make it through all the mods, but did play Inferno.

X3 Albion Prelude was released one year ago, and is quite fun. The sequel is supposed to be released soon. Star Citizen just got funded, but will likely be a while before it is released.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
I'm just looking to hear what people think the most fun game that is best played with a joystick EVER is :)

Daley Thompson's Decathlon:

daley_thompsons_decathlon.png

Joystick would be completely caned after a week though. My friend took to making his own out of old Baked Bean cans.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

Someone needs to make a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game using today's technology. I am not much for Flight Sims, but that would be AWESOME. Gonna shoot me down some Rebel scum.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
FPS games: flight stick in left hand + mouse in right hand = dual analog

Only problem is not all FPS games support gamepads/joysticks, such as Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Bioshock 1 and 2. But there are many that do, such as F.E.A.R.