Most food for your money: How do they do it?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
With the exception of All You Can Eat Buffets, I would have to say Chinese restaurants give you the most for your money. I just spent $5 at the local Chinese place and got 1 eggroll, ~2 cups of steamed rice, and ~4 cups of Chicken Lo Mein.

Damn this is a lot of food.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Cook your own food. You can make several meals out of one $8 roasted chicken (chicken, hash/jambalaya, soup with the rest).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But somehow after you eat all that Chinese food you need to eat three hours later.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
yes you get the most for your money at a Chinese resturaunt, but you are always hungry 1 hour later.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
But somehow after you eat all that Chinese food you need to eat three hours later.
Perhaps for you, definitely not me.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
McDonalds dollar menu or Wendys dollar menu. Double cheeseburgers, McChickens, Bacon Cheeseburger(Wendys), nuggets.....easy to fill yourself up with $4.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Your probably right.

For $6.50 -

8 snow crab legs
1/2 plate chicken fried rice (~2C)
1/2 plate Szechuan (sp?) chicken
3 Crab Rangoons

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto
Cook your own food. You can make several meals out of one $8 roasted chicken (chicken, hash/jambalaya, soup with the rest).
I usually do. However, today I was running late for work and did not have time to pack a lunch.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
the chicken is actually cut up pieces of rats. ever notice how their "chicken" has tendons? ;)

seriously though, I went to one of those "mom and pop" chinese places a little while back, and as I was checking out, I saw a rat run across the kitchen floor.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
McDonalds dollar menu or Wendys dollar menu. Double cheeseburgers, McChickens, Bacon Cheeseburger(Wendys), nuggets.....easy to fill yourself up with $4.

Wendy's dollar menu is the best. So bad for you, yet so good.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Fausto
I usually do. However, today I was running late for work and did not have time to pack a lunch.
Ah...gotcha.

Back when I was a starving student and racing bikes full time my best friend was Taco Bell. Nasty, but filling. ;)

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: rmrf
the chicken is actually cut up pieces of rats. ever notice how their "chicken" has tendons? ;)

seriously though, I went to one of those "mom and pop" chinese places a little while back, and as I was checking out, I saw a rat run across the kitchen floor.

Did you ask them to cook it up for you?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I hate to break it to you, but no resturaunt is clean. They're all dirty, any place you go. I went to a nice ass steak restuarunt and saw a rat run on the floor. Nobody washes hands, people resuse things....you have no idea. EVERYWHERE.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I hate to break it to you, but no resturaunt is clean. They're all dirty, any place you go. I went to a nice ass steak restuarunt and saw a rat run on the floor. Nobody washes hands, people resuse things....you have no idea. EVERYWHERE.

I know, I hate to even think about it when I do go out to eat.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
Originally posted by: K1052

Maybe Panda Express but not real Chinese food.

I go to a couple of local places. I don't know why I am starving after 3-4 hours afterwards.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hmmm ... local chineese place (Wah Feng Chop Seuy) lunch specials ... about 5 bucks ... pretty much fills me up ... Their Kung Pao chicken & Mongolian Beef are most excellent (lunch comes with can of pop, egg roll, and pork fried rice or steamed rice)

local Thai place (I am Siam) $5 - $6 lunch special ... pretty big .. but not quite as big as the chineese place ... awesome Penang Curry there as well as great noodle dishes (comes with spring roll, and choice of veggie fried rice or steamed rice as well as a cup of soup)

local mediteranian/middle eastern place (Pita In) $4 lunch special ... good size ... (combination ... Rice Pilaf, and a few different meats)

local burrito place (El Famous Burrito) under $4 for giant Burrito (their famous "football" sized burrito). I am usually completely full off of one of these things (their Chorizo and Egg burrito is out of this world)

local fast food place (J.K Gyros) huge 1lb+ "beltbuster gyro" for around $4 or awesome itialian beef for aroundd $3 and decent pizza for about the same price as most crappy pizza places (by crappy pizza places ... I mean dominos/pizza hut/papa johns etc ...) The good pizza is a bit rome expensive though (by good I mean places like Lou Malnoti's & Ginos East)

hmm ... I think I know why I weigh in around 280 pounds ... it may have something to do with my eating habbits.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
For $5 you can get 5 Double CHeeseburgers from McDonalds.... Ugh, that makes me sick just thinking about it.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They barely make any money off those meals. However, for dinnertime carry-out entrees, all white meat General Tso's Chicken runs me about $10.50, so they are making up their lost money there.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Woks are incredibly efficent at cooking and making just about ALL cuts of meat taste good. They also use the same types of ingrediants on many plates. And with their extremly quick cook times for the majority of their plates chinese restaurants can simply sell more using less man power.