most cost effective way to remove satellite dish?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cHeeZeFacTory, Jul 13, 2003.

1. cHeeZeFacTory

cHeeZeFacTory Golden Member

I have a dishnetwork dish on my roof, and I'm moving soon. The dish is about 2 stories high, mounted on the roof. I've contacted dishnetwork, but they said I will need to subscribe for another 12 months for free dish UNinstallation. Otherwise it will be $99. What would be the cheapest way to remove the dish? I don't have a 20 foot ladder, so I can't really do it myself. Any suggestions? TIA

2. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

leave it

don't they still have that "leave your dish on your old house and we will put a new one up on your new house for $75" deal?

3. Spac3d

Spac3d Banned

WTF? That is awful customer service.

Do you have any friends/neighbors/coworkers who have a ladder you can borrow?

4. RU482

RU482 Lifer

If you're not interested in subscribing for another 12 months, then why bother taking the dish? ebay the receiver!

One suggestion, you could call around to some local hardwae stores to see if they rent ladders

5. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

why do you want it?

snow saucer?

6. arod

arod Diamond Member

The most cost effective way will be to get a ladder and take it down yourself.

7. nsafreak

nsafreak Diamond Member

Ummm I work for Dish Network, we don't do dish uninstallations. Yes, we do Dish movers in which you take the receiver(s) with you and we install a new dish at the new residence. If you pay $99.95 there's no commitment to the Dish movers program, if you do the America's Top 100 and Credit Card Autopay for 12 months it's done at no charge (for 2 receivers, $50 more if you have more than 2), cancel early and pay $99.95. Main reason that we don't do dish uninstallations (and I doubt DirecTV does either) is because it's a free advertising mechanism. Let's new homeowners know that they can receive a Dish network signal at the new home.

8. cHeeZeFacTory

cHeeZeFacTory Golden Member

I want to keep it because i still have 3.5 months left on my subscription. I'll be asking my neighbors this week, but I doubt any of them got a 20 foot ladder.

9. Mallow

Mallow Diamond Member

I'd say the best way to remove a satallite dish from your home is a 12 gauge w/ buck shot, not slugs :) I'd say a max of 2 shells.

10. EMPshockwave82

EMPshockwave82 Diamond Member

Mallow i hate you... i was gunna say something like that HAHAHA..... see if you can throw a baseball bat up there with enough force to break it loose....... just make sure you run and duck after you throw the bat :p

11. psianime

psianime Golden Member

Put it on the black market.. I'm sure someone will pay with drug money for it.

You might want to consider hiring some people that stand in front of Home Depot (Mexicans, I'm not racist.. it's a fact)? My friend had to hire some to do some carrying.

12. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

um, so what's up with any new HDTV channels from Dish?

13. nsafreak

nsafreak Diamond Member

Haven't heard anything on that as of yet, I believe we plan on adding 50 more by year's end but I haven't confirmed that. Have been meaning to do some asking around on the subject.

14. ztadmin

ztadmin Member

how accurately can you throw a brick?

15. Viper GTS

Viper GTS Lifer

Got a rope & a truck?

Don't they practically give the things away these days? Like $14.95 + with a service activation? I wouldn't worry about it.

Viper GTS

16. ThaGrandCow

ThaGrandCow Diamond Member

WoOt!!! Shout outs to my fellow DN workers! What call center are you in? And yeah, nsafreak got it in a nutshell... pay $99 and we'll do it for you no committment at all, otherwise sign up for CCA and 12 months and we'll do it free. You were either told the wrong thing or you misunderstood what they were saying.

nsa... I'm in the christiansburg CS

17. ThaGrandCow

Once again nsafreak's got it. We signed a deal with HDnet, a broadcasting company that broadcasts all in HD. Once we get them on we should be golden. I wish everything could be in HD, but it's just way too much bandwidth, so we can't

18. ThaGrandCow

ah damn, TGC kills another thread :(

19. DnetMHZ

DnetMHZ Diamond Member

explosives? ;)

just don't forget the formula.. enough + more = plenty!

20. gigapet

gigapet Lifer

I would remotely destroy it as if I was the RIAA and it had just downloaded illegal MP3's

bettter yet, call the RIAA and tell them your satellite is downloading illegal MP3's and they can remotely destroy it for you.

21. arod

arod Diamond Member

I was gonna ask the same thing... :)
    Damn 6000 is useless right now.

22. Analog

Analog Lifer

leave it.

23. nsafreak

nsafreak Diamond Member

Hiya TGC, cool to know I'm not the only Dishnet employee at AT. Work at the Riverfront CS myself.

24. spaceman

spaceman Lifer

burn the house to the ground and then carry off the now eye level satellite.:)

25. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

the 6000 is good until Dish rolls out their new HD Tivo's. And I know HDNet is coming soon, but you guys will not have 50HD channels out there by the end of the year. Why, because there aren't even 50 HD channels available yet.