Most Comfortable Mouse

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I realize what I want to spend some of my christmas $ on... I have an old Microsoft mouse that I bought at Value Village on my gaming PC. I now want to put that mouse on my secondary laptop, and get a decent comfortable mouse for my main PC.

I play a lot of online poker, as well as Battlefield 3.... I quite often get tendonitis or carpal tunnel on my right arm after playing lots of poker... wondering if there may be a mouse that can help with this?

I was thinking this looked comfy:

26-146-010-Z01

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I'm sure there are many variables involved here like grip style and hand size. For my medium sized male hands I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A28SS3BS1DBQ92

I hated the G9. It was not comfortable and had a high lift-off.

For tracking I really like the Darkfield MX mice, they can even track on glass. The Performance mouse MX is great for tracking and is fairly comfortable but for my hand I prefer that CM mouse in the link.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have used the gm-6800 at work and can attest it's incredibly comfy. (the OP pic)

either that, or the kensington pro fit full size (they have 3 sizes), over that there's only ergonomic mice, and they cost a fortune.

1nf1d3l

Aug 24, 2012
I use an MX Revolution at work and a G700 at home, both Logitech. For my larger-than-average hands, they fit equally well and feel great after many continuous hours of use.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
How long is a piece of string? This is one of those questions that can only really be determined by a) analysis of your hands, grip style and other factors or b) trial and error.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You need to go and put them in your own hand and see for yourself which is most comfortable for you.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
late edit, i got a new 6800 to bring at my new workplace, but before i did, i gave it a spin at Blacklight Retribution - that mouse will NOT do as a gaming mouse; the negative acceleration on it is ridiculously bad.
if you have the money, a logitech g400 or g400s is really comfy, as are the intellimouse explorer 3.0 and the WMO 1.1a.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Go to a few stores and test them.
if you can, this is the best thing to do.

but, the "best mouse shape" question is as old as the mouse itself.
i have very big hands (too much fapping) and i found the humble WMO 1.1a (eBay it for five bucks) to be unbeatable, and it's also a great FPS mouse - provided you google the 500hz hack.

(dont take my word for it, google "WMO site:esreality.com")

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
For me the old Microsoft sidewinder was the most comfortable mouse. A large unit that fit well in my large hand. Too bad that ms stopped making them years ago. I still use one with my laptop that I was able to find on amazon. I've tried the ratt 7, razer deathadder (used it about a month) and then went to the Logitech g700s which drains fairly rapidly during gaming.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I can vouch for the Logitech G500. It's reliable, feature-rich, comfortable as hell and good looking. It's discontinued now but there's a new replacement, the G5 I think. It's actually cheap for how great the mouse is.

:EDIT: No, the G500 is still listed in Logitech's website. Listed on newegg for 70USD. I bought it in July for 50€, which is a fair price conversion (surprised!).

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
the g500 is laser, and besides having issues with different surfaces and colours, it also has drivers and firmware issues; some have said "the worst lag ever seen in a mouse" and worse.
(new drivers have apparently fixed most of those, but i still would go with the 400s.)

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Well, I'm sure many people experience problems with a lot of things. The drivers and the software was not the best thing in the world when I bought it, but it never gave me any problems (it just wasn't great). But the most recent software is fantastic. There certainly ain't not lag whatsoever on my windows 7 install. Can't speak for linux or mac OS.

I have experienced jaggedness when my mousepad gets dirty. I mean really dirty, like slobs of crap on the surface and stuff. If I were a cleaner guy (like if I cleaned my mouse pad at least once every three months) that stuff wouldn't happen.

The G500S comes with its own mousepad though. I don't know how good it actually is, but it wouldn't work for me since my mouse pad has a gel padding (carpal tunnel and all).

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I don't know if its the desk or my seating position but I have found the Logitech MX510 to be more comfortable to use than the G500 that I use now. The MX510 seemed to have a slightly bigger body and better position for the hand to grasp it. If I were to get a mouse today, I would get the G400s based on its similar (from what I've gathered) shape to the MX510.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I'd say the M950 (the mouse I have now) but the clickwheel is really stiff when you click. The whole frictionless scroll thing is useful, but the clicking stiffness is really quite bad.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Check out the G300. It doesn't look it, but it's quite comfy as a claw mouse. It would be my main mouse, were it higher DPI (it only tracks really well up to 1250 DPI).

Cooler Master has some interesting shaped mice with a good sensor, too.

Lat

Feb 18, 2012
Logitech MX510/G400.

I've upgraded to the G400, I still have an MX500 it still use on a regular basis on the old PC. Solid solid design and build quality.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Most comfortable mouse is...a trackball!

Personally, I agree.

But the OP asked for a mouse (as archaic and straining of a device it is over time). While I have nothing to say on current marketed devices, I will give fundamentals on what I will look for (if I do) in a lift and drag mouse.

Buttons and the number of them are nice and all for saving keyboard input and shortcuts, this is the LAST thing I will consider.

Weight, first off, is the biggest concern. If it is heavy, lifting the damn thing will be tiring and sore for my wrist and arms. Consider the glass of water problem. Not heavy initially, but hold it for an hour without setting it down. While mouse usage may not come one to one with that comparison, it holds true.

Second and third being shape and size of how it conforms to my hand so I do not feel cramped gripping a small object. If it is too large, I might strain finger reach for buttons.

So in essence, it is trying on a pair of shoes. Best way to have a wide array of selection and to try them without any hassle, is to find retailers online that have a hassle free return policy. Trying it in store may help, but it does not allow you to fully assess the mouse in your workflow for comfort.

The fourth thing alongside weight, shape and size, is the drivers and software. Get something that has solid drivers for your operating system. All other keying software, in my opinion, are a bonus if you can work them to your workspace and flow.

And also of my own personal criteria, the mouse would be wireless. I dislike the reliability of bluetooth at the moment, having owned a no name travel mouse that is uncomfortably tiny, and the Logitech diNovo combo. The dongle would have to be small, and be able to broadcast (even if it meant an extension cable from the back of a rear USB port).

Good luck in assessing your situation.

Last edited:

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
My (very) old Mx518 is just right for me. My son's Deathadder is nice too.

Last edited:

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
My (very) old Mx518 is just right for me. My son's Deathadder is nice too.
My best friend has one of those (just had it in my hand two hours ago) and it's a fantastic piece of mouse. The side buttons do get on MY way a bit cause I'm a bit abrupt in my usage, and that's the main reason I didn't buy it's successor and went for the G500 instead.

Millage will vary, of course.