Most affordable family vehicle with AWD/4x4?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I came up in meager circumstances, and this has tutored my choices between fixing an old car versus discarding it for a new one.

I will admit my shame here and now. I inherited a 1964 SS Impala. After driving it from CA to the east coast in 1972, the piston rings were shot at about 110,000 miles. In 1974, I bought a remanufactured engine for it, and got transferred to Texas, where I had the transmission and carburetor rebuilt. Just before returning to the mid-Atlantic, I visited a former teacher in Colorado for Christmas, and found myself cruising at 125 mph on a Sunday returning through north central Texas. And thank God I didn't get caught in some small-town speed-trap, or I might have served time in Hunstville. But I only remember hearing Elton John on the Chevy radio:

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone

So I returned to the east coast, and acquired -- briefly -- a girlfriend who had been a checkered flag girl at Daytona. By this time, I'd upgraded the entire suspension of the SS. All the upholstery had been repaired, although you could see the patches of vinyl tape which I'd sprayed with vinyl paint. Red and white interior, bucket seats, and a cream-colored off-white exterior paint job. The original SS chrome hub-caps, chrome hood locks, new brakes and good tires. Daytona girl said to me, "I think you may get rid of this Old Beauty Queen soon enough." My self-esteem and common-sense was at a low ebb. When the heat-sending sensor for engine temperature went bad, it was in the middle of winter, snow piled all over my condominium parking lot. I could've repaired it myself with a $20 part, but the thought of crawling around in the snow put me off. I traded in the Impala for a song, with only some 30,000 miles on the short-block 325 engine.

Tell me I was stupid! Every day since that time in 1977, I call myself stupid! If I'd held that car for another ten years, I could've had $25,000 for it easily! It was a collector's item!

So ever since then, I've tried to recoup what I lost by giving my used cars tender loving care. And to me, replacing an engine in a car is just "no big deal." It is amazing how you can resurrect an old clunker and give it double life.

The Mazda 3? I looked that up. You'd have to tell me what year it was. Maybe it's time for the junkyard. But I just wouldn't throw a car away for mere temperature sensor, and if the engine needed repair, I'd consider overhauling it. You have to think about how many more thousands of miles you could squeeze out of it with a new engine -- and without a girlfriend making off-the-cuff remarks to influence your bad decisions.

Just my thoughts on the matter. . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: BurnItDwn

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Ah... yes this would be a good tool to have. Autozone about 20 minutes away plus often have to wait around.

Car not giving me any issues but I do need to find out what this light is. Just did my taxes and I'm owing money this year so odds that I'm buying a new car are slim, to say the least. I'll definitely be keeping this thread in mind though once I'm forced into the larger car with 2nd kid.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ah... yes this would be a good tool to have. Autozone about 20 minutes away plus often have to wait around.

Car not giving me any issues but I do need to find out what this light is. Just did my taxes and I'm owing money this year so odds that I'm buying a new car are slim, to say the least. I'll definitely be keeping this thread in mind though once I'm forced into the larger car with 2nd kid.

I have a 10 scanner like that Maxiscan and I have a cheapo bluetooth scanner I use with the torque app on my phone.
It's saved me thousands of dollars over the years and I have helped countless friends save tons of cash.

Don't wait to long on that light.

Here is an example.
Lets say the code is for a misfire, and after a quick check on Mazda forums you determine that root cause was as simple as a torn intake boot causing havoc. Verified by looking at the intake hose and seeing the tear.
The longer you let those misfire go on, more damage you could be inflicting on your catalytic converter.
A torn intake boot ($37) is cheap and easy repair (10-15 minutes tops).
A catalytic converter replacement....$1000?

(thats just an example...in reality I think a misfire on a Mazda due to torn intake boot will result in a flashing CEL on acceleration)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
As far as scan tools, the bluetooth type (for android or a PC/laptop) or wifi (apple, android or PC/laptop) won't be needed just to find the fault code that set the dash light, but are a lot more useful in their ability to show live data with the engine running, and in some cases (with an app that recognizes them) can also do manufacturer specific codes that fall outside of the OBDII standards.

Unfortunately some of the cheaper ones that claim they can do all OBDII from '96 forward, can't, only support CAN bus (mid 2000's forward vehicles),. not the other OBDII protocols. Many consider the BAFX model the best of breed in the under $40 price range and does support other protocols like J1850 which is very common on american vehicles till the mid-2000's. There are clones of it that look similar (except the sticker on it and even that before BAFX changed their sticker from orange/blue to black) but are not the same internally.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005NLQAHS