Mortal Kombat Kollection available on Steam.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Includes MK, MKII and UMKIII :D

I just noticed this and it instantly caught my attention as I was a huge MK and MKII fan back in the day.

Sadly, as I feared when I saw it on Steam, seems like some people are having issues with sound and controllers, plus it runs at 1280x1024 (though really, I was expecting something like this for an old sprite based game). And it has GFWL D:

Still, I'm really thinking about getting it for nostalgia's sake. I do wonder if it's better than some arcade roms I got years ago and never bothered setting them up.

ader098

Mar 9, 2010
I didn't think they would actually release this thing for pc.
I was a big fan of the MK series back when and am glad it has finally been released. :)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I still own my original Mortal Kombat Trilogy cartridge for my N64, it was one of my favorite MKs back then, but I barely play it nowadays though. I would really like to see the new Mortal Kombat for the PC (the 2011 reboot). I played it occasionally on my cousin's 360 and I do really like it, it's right in the veins of MKII and MKIII, they've done a good job on it in my opinion.

That trilogy release on Steam could be fun I guess if it's just for nostalgia, but I'd rather just play them on consoles, especially the old ones, mostly to avoid compatibility issues.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
It'd be worth it if it was the good version of UMK3 (console) that had the extra characters unlocked. Now if I ever want to play as them, I need a second controller or hope the other person I'm playing against online complies, and even then still no Noob Saibot or Rain.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, they must have remade the game from scratch. Vista or Win 7 only and same fairly steep requirements.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
GFWL = I dont care, to bad really as i loved MK.

These days you're lucky if it ONLY has one form of DRM, and its one you like, such as Steam.

I'm still mad about Wings of Prey cuz they put YuPlay on top. And that was back when Steam wasnt good about informing you of such things. They're a little better now, but I'd just as soon they dont even sell games with 3rd party crap.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
GFWL = no sale. I stopped reading the post once I saw that. It is very unfortunate that any software uses that horrific program these days.

EDIT: What is UMK3? I played Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2 to death when I was in High School, but never had the time to play many games in College (or more accurately, I had better things to do with my spare time living in a co-ed dorm) so I haven't seen the newer arcade games.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
GFWL = no sale. I stopped reading the post once I saw that. It is very unfortunate that any software uses that horrific program these days.

EDIT: What is UMK3? I played Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2 to death when I was in High School, but never had the time to play many games in College (or more accurately, I had better things to do with my spare time living in a co-ed dorm) so I haven't seen the newer arcade games.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - UMK3. It is the 2nd version of MK3, that included some character changes and some balancing. That was the "tournament" standard for MK games until the new one came out.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008

Same here. It's too bad as I might have picked this up otherwise.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
The Dirt games require GFWL too, and I enjoy those games too much to turn away simply because of a service on which I already have an active account (GFWL and Zune) and already have installed.
Granted, I only run it (like Origin) when I run the associated games. I also have Gamestop/Impulse.

Not sure, however, if I'll pick this up. I'd probably rather play it on my PS3, but I also need the port details. The arcade I wasn't a fan of, SNES was phenomenal. :D

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The Dirt games require GFWL too, and I enjoy those games too much to turn away simply because of a service on which I already have an active account (GFWL and Zune) and already have installed.
Granted, I only run it (like Origin) when I run the associated games. I also have Gamestop/Impulse.

Not sure, however, if I'll pick this up. I'd probably rather play it on my PS3, but I also need the port details. The arcade I wasn't a fan of, SNES was phenomenal. :D

If you already have the PS3 then I'd just pick up the new MK. It brings everything I enjoyed about the original MKs with modern visuals and online play.