Morpheus Giving In?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Is it me, or does this article on Cnet seem like a clear sign that Morpheus is giving in to the RIAA/MPAA? The phrase

<< The company is adding new digital rights management, or anti-copying technology, to its set of software and services. >>

isn't filling me full of confidence.:Q

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
sounds like they are selling out.
which is a retarded move if you ask me, they only reason they got so many users at the first place was because of easy, unrestricted, and free trading of media files.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< sounds like they are selling out.
which is a retarded move if you ask me, they only reason they got so many users at the first place was because of easy, unrestricted, and free trading of media files.
>>

Which was the same reason Napster was popular. This is going to happen for a while until the RIAA and MPAA figures out a way to get rid of music sharing all together or someone figures out a way to keep the RIAA and MPAA from shutting them down.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
What do you expect from these weasels? They didn't find the need to pay the fees required by the makers of Kazaa to use their network. Now that Morpheus is out in the cold who cares what they do? They are gone just like Napster so get over it. They always sucked in my opinion anyway because I find way more music on WinMX.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< They didn't find the need to pay the fees required by the makers of Kazaa to use their network. Now that Morpheus is out in the cold who cares what they do? They are gone just like Napster so get over it. >>

Don't you think it's only a matter of time until someone goes after Kazaa and WinMX?

And it's just file sharing software. Why are you so angry?

Uclagamer_99

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2000
have you tried the new morpheus demo? that thing sucks...i think they are adopting gnuetella or something...but yeah it sucks :( stick with winmx for music

edonkey is pretty good for some stuff too

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
from their home musiccity site the gnutella thing is temporary until 2.0 comes out:p dunno about the digital righs crap though, hopefully they are sneaky and a simple reg change will turn it off:p using grokster right now since it lets u download decent bitrate mp3s instead of 128kbs only garbage on kazaa.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

<< edonkey is pretty good for some stuff too >>

For pr0n!

My take on all this is that the gnutella network is exremely important: It's an open protocol, which means anyone can write a client for it. Also, the Gnucleus gnutella client is written by people who are not using it as a business model, so the RIAA can't say they're trying to profit off of other people's work.