Morning cardio workout

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I am working out...

1. to build muscle
2. lose fat from my gut

My current plan is to focus on a particular muscle group each day I do weight training. My weights workout schedule is roughly like this:

Monday - Chest
Wednesday - Legs
Friday - Back/Arms
Sunday - Shoulders

Not necessarily only on those days, but that's a rough sample of a week. It's mostly every other day I switch to a different muscle group.

I normally have protein after each workout with weights, and I'm making pretty good progress so far. I'm 6'4" about 185 or so. I want to build muscle everywhere. And cut fat everywhere, hopefully with the result of losing my gut along the way.

My question is this:

Has anyone experimented with early morning pre-breakfast cardio workouts? I have heard conflicting reports. Some say it will be counterproductive to your muscle building to do cardio like this. Others say it's the best way to cut fat and won't effect your muscle building program.

Also, is it a good idea to not eat for an hour after cardio as opposed to getting protein immediately after a weight training workout?

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
fasted state cardio is best for fat burning. But you should be doing low impact steady state (LISS) cardio. High intensity interval training (HIIT) should be done with something in your system.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
IMO, you ought to cut back to 2 simpler, longer workouts - upper body one day, which would combine Monday, part of Friday, and Sunday, and a lower body workout combining Wednesday and possibly part of Friday (back exercises could be done in either one). If you do this though, keep in mind that you should work from large->small, in terms of the size of the muscles and muscle groups you're working. So for the upper body, do chest & abs first, then possibly the back (unless you decide to do back exercises w/your lower-body workout), then biceps/triceps, then shoulders.

Aside from losing weight, what are you going for? Size or strength? That may also dictate how you work out. Size (and, by extension, endurance) usually means using lighter weights and doing more repetitions, while strength training involves using heavier weights and doing fewer repetitions for each exercise. just something to think about. If you're just starting out, either style will accomplish the same basic results - decreasing fat and increasing muscle mass. Just don't be surprised if your weight bottoms out, then starts going up after a while :p

Nathan

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
HIIT is rough, but it works well. As for morning cardio, I used to do it couple summers ago. I liked it cuz it woke me up and kept me refreshed for the day (im not a morning person). But waking up early enough to get in cardio before going to work got to be too much and I eventually stopped. But when I was doing cardio in the morning, I always felt that I wasnt getting as good of a workout as in the evening - mostly because my muscles are tighter in the morning and I couldnt run as much or as fast in the morning.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I run in the morning as soon as I get up. I hate it, but it works. I generally do about 2 miles of jogging, and then about 5 minutes of sprint intervals. I then lift 3-4 nights a week, depending on which workout plan I'm currently doing.

My weight has gone down while my strength/size has gone up.

ViperVin2

Mar 9, 2001
HIIT all the way. Just do it whenever is convenient for you. Also, make sure your protein intake is high, above 185g at your weight.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: new2AMD
fasted state cardio is best for fat burning. But you should be doing low impact steady state (LISS) cardio. High intensity interval training (HIIT) should be done with something in your system.

Do you have any articles/facts to back this up? Not calling you out or anything, would just like to know.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko
I run in the morning as soon as I get up. I hate it, but it works. I generally do about 2 miles of jogging, and then about 5 minutes of sprint intervals. I then lift 3-4 nights a week, depending on which workout plan I'm currently doing.

My weight has gone down while my strength/size has gone up.

I usually run 2-3 miles as well, though not everyday. Could you expand on how you exactly do your sprints? thanks!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Sure. Seeing as I just run the area near my house, not at a track or a field or anything, I don't have set distances. After finishing the distance running, I start doing stop-and-go sprint intervals. I walk for about 25-50 yards to catch my breath, pick out where I'm going to start/stop the sprint (generally between 50-200 yards), do the sprint as hard as I can, then walk to cool down until I pick out another start/stop point, and so on. Pretty simple, very effective.

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for all the quick responses. I think I'll continue with my early morning cardio, since the general consensus seems to be that it's ok. This morning I got to the gym at 5:00 am, did 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, got my shower, did the 35 minute drive to work, and still got there by 7:30. It saves time over doing cardio after work because the traffic is non-existent at 5:00 am, plus no waiting at my crowded gym, and nobody waiting for me to reach the gym's 20 minute time limit. Better all around except for waking up that early, and less scenery on the other machines.

(I keep making the typo 5:00 amd. I'm such a geek).

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: GoatMonkey
Thanks for all the quick responses. I think I'll continue with my early morning cardio, since the general consensus seems to be that it's ok. This morning I got to the gym at 5:00 am, did 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, got my shower, did the 35 minute drive to work, and still got there by 7:30. It saves time over doing cardio after work because the traffic is non-existent at 5:00 am, plus no waiting at my crowded gym, and nobody waiting for me to reach the gym's 20 minute time limit. Better all around except for waking up that early, and less scenery on the other machines.

(I keep making the typo 5:00 amd. I'm such a geek).

I get to the gym right when it opens as well (6am in my case) I get to work around 7:45-8a but I'm completely open for the rest of the day. No more skipping workouts cause of going out to dinner or grabbing a drink after work!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: new2AMD
fasted state cardio is best for fat burning.

I agree...for me at least it worked better. Still never lift on a fast.

Agreed. Family and friends have all said they've noticed I've dropped a ton of weight. (Started doing it in February when I moved a minute away from the gym)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Here is a link to an HIIT schedule. It's interesting to say the least. If my knees were up to it, I'd give it a shot.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if you are working out to build muscle, don't do any hardcore cardio or anything.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Seems like morning exercise would make you not want to eat as much.

I am thinking a schedule like
Exercise
shower
breakfast.

Might be nice to have a little time between exercise and breakfast.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0
if you are working out to build muscle, don't do any hardcore cardio or anything.

I disagree. Doing cardio can't hurt you. Doing high-intensity cardio actually helps your body build fast-twich muscle, which is required for lifting too.

Now, trying to lose weight while building muscle usually doesn't work. But doing a lot of cardio, to offset the extra calories you intake for lifting, is a good thing.

I've found if I all but cut cardio out of my program, my appetite is HUGE, and I do put on a lot of weight - but fat too, but just muscle. I'm as big/strong as I've ever been, but over 10 pounds lighter than when I was doing purely strength training.