More Very Fine People? The Frat Version...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
https://www.freep.com/story/news/in...d-guns-front-emmett-till-memorial/1829450001/

3 students posed with guns in front of Emmett Till's memorial. They could face a civil rights investigation

Three University of Mississippi students have been suspended from their fraternity house and face possible investigation by the Department of Justice after posing with guns in front of a bullet-riddled sign honoring slain civil rights icon Emmett Till.

One of the students posted a photo to his private Instagram account in March showing the trio in front of a roadside plaque commemorating the site where Till’s body was recovered from the Tallahatchie River. The 14-year-old black youth was tortured and murdered in August 1955. An all-white, all-male jury acquitted two white men accused of the slaying.

The photo, which was obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, shows an Ole Miss student named Ben LeClere holding a shotgun while standing in front of the bullet-pocked sign. His Kappa Alpha fraternity brother, John Lowe, squats below the sign. A third fraternity member stands on the other side with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

It is not clear whether the fraternity students shot the sign or are simply posing before it. The sign is part of a memorial effort by a Mississippi civil rights group and has been repeatedly vandalized, most recently in August 2018. Till’s death helped propel the modern civil rights movement in America.

TILL-SIGN-622x352.jpeg

Guajardo said that while the university considered the picture “offensive,” the image did not present a violation of the university’s code of conduct. He noted the incident depicted in the photo occurred off campus and was not part of a university-affiliated event.

I am torn on whether or not I care if they actually shot the sign themselves... Pretty fucking poor decision making all around. Social media and the Internet never forget.

The University can enforced their COD how they feel. Imagine that. But really, how long before the Left is blamed for this... Creating racism where it does not exist again...

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Not surprising. Still a lot of racism in southeastern states.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
It takes a special kind of scumbag to revel in a child's murder that went unpunished.

But hey, free speech.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Still a lot of racism in all states.

There sure is, but there's a hell of a lot more of it in states like Mississippi. Some of it is exported to other states. For example, two racists I know in our town here in Oregon are good ol' boys from Ja-Ja. They don't know each other and don't know of each other. I only deal with them because they are customers but both of them have tried racist Obama jokes on me. I didn't laugh, they got the point, and I haven't had to endure another one. One of them flies a confederate flag because it's his "heritage". The other one is a California prison guard who likes his job a bit too much. I'll leave it at that.

So yes, there is a lot of racism everywhere, but there's a lot more in some places as evidenced above. It's all bad. All of it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
There sure is, but there's a hell of a lot more of it in states like Mississippi. Some of it is exported to other states. For example, two racists I know in our town here in Oregon are good ol' boys from Ja-Ja. They don't know each other and don't know of each other. I only deal with them because they are customers but both of them have tried racist Obama jokes on me. I didn't laugh, they got the point, and I haven't had to endure another one. One of them flies a confederate flag because it's his "heritage". The other one is a California prison guard who likes his job a bit too much. I'll leave it at that.

So yes, there is a lot of racism everywhere, but there's a lot more in some places as evidenced above. It's all bad. All of it.

Where is Ja-Ja?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Kids need some worldly growing up to do. Too sheltered, too isolated, too insulated.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Both these statements are a sad commentary on the state of civil tights in this country!
Ever since Trump has been in office it seems as if people feel more enabled to act foolishly!!

While I believe Trump's divisive rhetoric has emboldened some racists, people are starting to fight back more by posting in social media and taking videos with their phones. MSM is also picking up on the this racism outing trend. A lot of racism has been out there in the past it just hasn't been exposed like it is now.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
While I believe Trump's divisive rhetoric has emboldened some racists, people are starting to fight back more by posting in social media and taking videos with their phones. MSM is also picking up on the this racism outing trend. A lot of racism has been out there in the past it just hasn't been exposed like it is now.
And then the right wing uses that for the excuse that the left always cries racism about everything.