More US Troops Killed in Iraq than in 1st Three Years of Vietnam. Time to Pull out of Iraq!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from Reuters
But it isn't officially a quagmire until another 49,600 brave American men and women die. Until then, it's still a liberation.

Side note, I didn't realize we were up to almost 400 American deaths already. RIP. :(

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
This is a little like Heart's "more deaths in Washington D.C." From '61 to '64 I don't think we had more than 600 guys at time in Vietnam. But, I agree with the Bow, it's not a quagmire till we have a bunch more die.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Uhuh....Pulling out would be a mistake and we would have another Afganistan... Didnt Japan Pledge to send troops to Iraq also? Eventually :|

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
The advent of what became the Viet Nam Conflict occured in my last years of high school.
Communication back then was not as quick or as responsive as today on the internet world.
What with having to holler from cave to cave and take fire with you when you traveled,
Little notice was given and even less was made public - just some police action in a jungle area.
Film at Eleven

It snuck up on the public concious over an extended time frame - and then escalated.
This Iraq one is an IN YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW - DAMMIT event.

Public opinion is swinging all over the place like a cat on a limb.
Can't afford to do it wrong.
Just like we didn't finish in Afganistan.
(Anyone remember Afganistan)

What would the Japanese soldiers do, take pictures ?

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I like Afghan raisins. Oh, you mean the invasion... to get rid of UBL... *sigh*

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Tnitsuj:

Uh, yeah it's a wee bit early to call Iraq "The Big Muddy", but we're getting there. Yesterday a U.S. General referred to "winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people". I almost croaked. Did they fire that poor guy? I hope not. Freudian slips are so rare at the O-6 and up level. :)

Anyway, the generals got the message. Most of them know Bush's re-election campaign will drive what we do in Iraq. The worse the war looks, the farther down in the polls Bush goes and the less likely it is we will stick around Iraq much longer. We've trashed Iraq and it's time to do what we've done for over 100 years except in 2 or 3 instances. GO HOME and leave someone else to clean up the mess we made.

-Robert

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Chess 9. "Go home." Thus it was spoken, thus it is being done (11/13/03). Our authorized violence is escalating in Iraq. But look how many times they say "bombed a suspected whatever." It makes the public feel like we're doing something. But we don't actually know much. The population is becoming increasingly polarized against us as a citizen rounds the corner and gets his head blown off by nervous American troops. I was pretty impressed by the "snake eaters," the army's special action group (I forget its real name). They seem to be able to go in and deal with the indegenous population to actually get something done. But that takes mucho training and maturity. Drop 130,000 teenage yahoos into a completely different culture and you get a really different result.