More to the Joe the Plumber story

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I agree its not even close to the same as the myspace case, but she did break the rules.

"Gov. Ted Strickland suspended Jones-Kelley for a month without pay after the Ohio Inspector General's office found in November that she improperly used state computers to find personal information on Samuel Wurzelbacher. The investigation also found that she conducted improper political fundraising activity for now President-elect Barack Obama."

I work for the Fed Gov and we are warned not to do anything for any party/person. She should have known better and am glad she lost her job.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My guess is that there is more to this story and that she's stepping down as a deal to avoid further stuff coming out. She didn't have to resign her lucrative job, she was just suspended for a month, the fact that she's resigning now in the middle of a very tough job market seems fishy. Either there's more that hasn't come out, or she's going to get a nice "thank you" crony job doing something for the new administration.

It doesn't matter which party does it, misusing the power of government for personal or political gain needs to be punished severely to make sure people think twice about doing something like that in the future.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: brandonbull
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...re_us/director_resigns

I hope she and the others are arrested and charged just like the Myspace suicide case.

Not the same. :roll:

Both were unauthorized computer access. Maybe for different reasons but the same none the less.

If she was a Republican you guys would be rallying behind her.

Nope. I have a strong dislike for either party. Better luck next time with your generic statement.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I hope she and the others are arrested and charged just like the Myspace suicide case.

Both were unauthorized computer access. Maybe for different reasons but the same none the less.

Nope. I have a strong dislike for either party. Better luck next time with your generic statement.

Please don't feed the troll, thank you. ;)

schmedy

Dec 31, 1999
Depending on what she did for the state govt this may be an easy thing covered by the Hatch Act, and which she could be charged and fired for these actions. I know working for the Fed Govt they take this very seriously and every year all the Hatch Act signs and "reminders" come out, and 10 fold more in the Presidential Cycle.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Dave knows all about accessing computers illegally. Our resident expert.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: schmedy
Depending on what she did for the state govt this may be an easy thing covered by the Hatch Act, and which she could be charged and fired for these actions. I know working for the Fed Govt they take this very seriously and every year all the Hatch Act signs and "reminders" come out, and 10 fold more in the Presidential Cycle.

That's the second time someone has mentioned the Hatch Act in this thread. The Hatch Act applies only to federal employees. Perhaps Ohio has a similar law (I don't know and haven't researched it) but the Hatch Act is clearly not applicable here.

I think Double Trouble's answer is closest to the mark-there must be more to this story than has been reported, or she habitually makes very bad decisions. Resignation instead of taking a one month suspension is not rational. But I'm sure there is no "crony job" in her future. After all, Sam The Plumber was exposed by multiple sources for the multiple frauds he was.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Much ado about nothing.
At least it isn't the IRS being sicced on elected officials and private businessmen.
Lyndon LaRouche ring a bell to anyone but me?

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
I would be willing to wager that this was an unpopular person.

I was a management employee of the State of Ohio for a time, and know full well that they will tolerate political activity if you are management and working on the campaign of someone in the party of the current administration, or are well liked.

I vividly remember the fellow who worked next to me, and who was a member of the opposing political party. He improperly used his state computer to type a letter to a tenant of his rental property. The party in power checked his computer after hours for incrementing evidence, had the state highway patrol come into the office and seize his computer, and forced him into early retirement rather than to face charges.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

It sounds like in this case the director had the authority to access the system, but used that authority improperly. Not the same. In my job I have access to millions of medical records, which I may need to use in the course of doing my work. But if I used my access to those records to look up a person's medical history for reasons unrelated to my job, they'd go HIPAA all over my ass.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Gee, more illegal activity by democrats. I think the Republican sex scandals are starting to look pretty good at this point.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize

Dave knows all about accessing computers illegally. Our resident expert.

LMAO

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Gee, more illegal activity by democrats. I think the Republican sex scandals are starting to look pretty good at this point.

Gee...what a surprise...another rightie trying to put lipstick on a pig...

If the sex scandals were all the Republicans had going against them, they'd probably have gained seats in the house and senate...but apparently you've forgotten all the corruption convictions against Republicans and their lobbyist friends...

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Gee...what a surprise...another rightie trying to put lipstick on a pig...

If the sex scandals were all the Republicans had going against them, they'd probably have gained seats in the house and senate...but apparently you've forgotten all the corruption convictions against Republicans and their lobbyist friends...

Looks like the democrats got jealous and have stepped it up big time.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Glad they fired her, you deserve to be fired if you use company resources for your personal agenda period.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: between
wouldn't a stern warning be appropriate in this situation? loss of her job seems a bit harsh.

There is a reason for laws. She made her bed, she should lie in it....

/still, Joe the "plumber" is a shitstain....