More than 100 Republicans threaten to form 3rd party over Trump

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
More than 100 Republicans will sign a letter Thursday threatening to create a third party if the GOP doesn't "break" with former President Trump, Reuters first reported.
Why it matters: Per Axios' Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei, Trump's grip on the GOP has gotten stronger since the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. The Republican Party's "allegiance to Trump" as he continues to make false claims about his 2020 election loss has "dismayed" the group, according to Reuters.
  • Per the New York Times, the letter's preamble will state, "When in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice."
  • The letter is due to be released one day after House Republicans are expected to vote on ousting Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) from her position as conference chair....

Exciting times ahead... :D

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I didn't read the report, but the GOP has essentially been a split party since the Tea Party insurgency. This letter or threat is meaningless as extremism and Trumpism have spread like a disease and already consumed the party. The time to renovate the GOP was before 2015, not 2021. But I'm not trying to criticize these well-meaning operatives; at least they'll somewhat end up on the right side of history.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Put the fake wrestling on more days a week and their power and will, will wane.

The Trumpers is who I speak of.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Are these 100 random republicans or are they elected republicans? How many are currently in congress?

(I didn’t read the article so if it’s in there I apologize).

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Are these 100 random republicans or are they elected republicans? How many are currently in congress?

(I didn’t read the article so if it’s in there I apologize).
Sadly seems a lot of them are formers. Some prominent, but formers.
The 'currents' have no balls. Still interesting if it can create enough of a stir to weaken the party.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's nice they're doing it but -

Why it matters:
Per Axios' Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei, Trump's grip on the GOP has gotten stronger since the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

No, that is exactly why it doesn't really matter.

I predict that this is going to be an inconsequential blip on our historical radar screen. I'd be surprised if anyone is talking about it in 6 months.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

I predict that this is going to be an inconsequential blip on our historical radar screen. I'd be surprised if anyone is talking about it in 6 months.
sadly, i believe you are correct

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Sadly seems a lot of them are formers. Some prominent, but formers.
The 'currents' have no balls. Still interesting if it can create enough of a stir to weaken the party.

So, this is really about as newsworthy as the 120 retired generals and admirals who signed the letter questioning the election and Biden's mental health? https://www.businessinsider.com/for...-letter-question-election-biden-health-2021-5

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, this is really about as newsworthy as the 120 retired generals and admirals who signed the letter questioning the election and Biden's mental health? https://www.businessinsider.com/for...-letter-question-election-biden-health-2021-5
That’s also newsworthy to the extent that apparently former high ranking officers are the type of people that believe insane conspiracy theories, yes?

I guess we can at least be thankful they no longer are in positions of power but it’s scary to think people that delusional were at any point.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
More than 100 Republicans will sign a letter Thursday threatening to create a third party if the GOP doesn't "break" with former President Trump, Reuters first reported.
Why it matters: Per Axios' Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei, Trump's grip on the GOP has gotten stronger since the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. The Republican Party's "allegiance to Trump" as he continues to make false claims about his 2020 election loss has "dismayed" the group, according to Reuters.
  • Per the New York Times, the letter's preamble will state, "When in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice."
  • The letter is due to be released one day after House Republicans are expected to vote on ousting Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) from her position as conference chair....

Exciting times ahead... :D
Too little, too late. 5% of people who call themselves conservative.

Feb 4, 2009
As I said in another thread. Look at the names. They will fill the completely boring void.
Nearly none will vote for their ticket.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
That’s also newsworthy to the extent that apparently former high ranking officers are the type of people that believe insane conspiracy theories, yes?

I guess we can at least be thankful they no longer are in positions of power but it’s scary to think people that delusional were at any point.
No, I don't see either story as newsworthy. Just more bullshit "news" to feed the mush mind masses. We're so fucked, I honestly believe we're beyond repair. Most everyone has chosen their team and will no longer be swayed by facts, even if honest to goodness unbiased facts were actually available. Our "news and information" is all propaganda. Our entire political system is rotten to the core on both sides. Morality, decency, self respect and respect for others are tales of a time gone by. People, in very small groups can still be ok but, society as a whole... we're not worth the air we breath. Sorry for going off the rails but, five minutes reading through the forum and I don't know whether I should get sloppy drunk or just hang myself.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
No, I don't see either story as newsworthy. Just more bullshit "news" to feed the mush mind masses. We're so fucked, I honestly believe we're beyond repair. Most everyone has chosen their team and will no longer be swayed by facts, even if honest to goodness unbiased facts were actually available. Our "news and information" is all propaganda. Our entire political system is rotten to the core on both sides. Morality, decency, self respect and respect for others are tales of a time gone by. People, in very small groups can still be ok but, society as a whole... we're not worth the air we breath. Sorry for going off the rails but, five minutes reading through the forum and I don't know whether I should get sloppy drunk or just hang myself.

Both sides, a sure sign of a true intellect./eyeroll

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Why not both? You've both-sided everything else even though only one side attempted to overthrow our Republic.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Republican that comes out of today with the biggest bullhorn that isn't a Trump cultist is none of these people that signed this document, but Liz Cheney herself. The media might actually cover what she has to say against Trump, lets see if she seizes the moment.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If what you’ve gotten out of the last four years or especially the last four months is #bothsides you might want to take a step back and ask yourself if you’re part of the problem.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Dossier anyone?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

And even scarier to consider that given the number of ex-military flag ranks who believe this, there must be at least some currently serving who do.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

I guess some of these old soldiers need to fade away a little faster.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I will bring it up in 6 month just to prove your wrong...hahahaaaaaaa

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
More than 100 Republicans threaten to form 3rd party over Trump

They already have..... it's called A CULT.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The people in this list will just be dismissed as RINOs and ignored by the base. Fascism is clearly the leading political ideology of the GOP and it’s base of supporters at this point.

The people on this list didn’t have the courage to speak up or take action before the situation became irretrievably bad. They could have been fighting this since Newt but instead thought they could take advantage of the craziness for their own benefit until they couldn’t. Fuck’em all.