More Than 100,000 Protest Sharon's Plan

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
More Than 100,000 Protest Sharon Plan

Sun Jan 11, 7:10 PM ET

By LAURIE COPANS, Associated Press Writer

TEL AVIV, Israel - More than 100,000 settlers and their backers on Sunday protested the Israeli prime minister's plans to evacuate Jewish settlements as part of a peace agreement or a unilateral withdrawal from Palestinian areas.

The demonstrators filled a Tel Aviv square to listen to ministers from Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's own Cabinet heap criticism on him. Some threatened to leave the ruling coalition of he carries out the plan.

Sharon has warned that in a peace deal, Israel would not be able to retain all of its settlements in the West Bank and Gaza. He has also said some settlements would be moved if peace efforts collapse and Israel moves unilaterally to draw its own boundary with Palestinian areas.

Gathering in Tel Aviv's Rabin square, named for Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin (news - web sites) who was assassinated there by a Jewish extremist after a peace rally, the crowd carried signs protesting against Sharon and his plan.

Tel Aviv police chief Yossi Sedbon said police estimates put the crowd at 120,000 people.

Among the protesters were many members of Sharon's own Likud party, including a dozen lawmakers.

"Uprooting settlements rips apart the nation," read one sign. "Sharon ? resign, we don't want you any more," said another.

Housing Minister Effi Eitam of the pro-settler National Religious Party accused the prime minister of weakness. "In the battlefield there is no disengagement plan; you know that would be running away," he said

"We won't dismantle settlements and we won't expel Jews," Eitam said to the cheers of the crowd. "We will not be a party to dismantling settlements."

The settlers and their supporters believe they have a God-given right to live wherever they want within the biblical land of Israel, which includes the West Bank. Palestinians say the settlements are an encroachment on land they claim for a future state.

"All of Zionism is based on the belief that we have a right to this land," Likud lawmaker and parliamentary speaker Reuven Rivlin told AP.

"I came to demonstrate for the land of Israel. I am against the dismantling of settlements, I am against the disengagement plan and I will vote against it in the Knesset (parliament)," Rivlin said.

Organizers said all the lawmakers present had signed a pledge not to support legislation that would uproot settlements or create a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza.

Protester Micha Cohen, 35, said he had come to the demonstration with his two small children "because for us the struggle is for their future ... we see settlements as important places that should not be evacuated."

Many of the protesters were teenagers bused in by their schools and youth movements.

"Sharon can't ignore such a big group of people," said settler leader Pinchas Wallerstein. "There is no doubt that it will be much harder to dismantle settlements after this."

Also in the crowd was a small group from the outlawed Jewish extremist group Kach, waiving the group's yellow flag and calling for the expulsion of the Arabs.

"The best thing is to throw (the Arabs) out. But the government won't do that, they are clowns," said one 17-year-old Kach member who identified himself only as David and said he was originally from California.

Security at the event was heavy, with 1,300 police guarding against possible attacks. All protesters entering the square had to first pass through a metal detector. Police, wary of the number of guns carried by settlers, posted signs reading "If, God forbid, there is a terror attack, it is absolutely forbidden to use personal weapons. "

Police also cordoned off a memorial to Rabin, fearing it could be defaced during the demonstration.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&ncid=736&e=8&u=/ap/20040112/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_settler_protest

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Amazing that a square named for a great statesman and peacemaker like Rabin is soiled by the presence of raving right-wing loons . . . as they protest against one of their own.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Bunch of racist land squatters...

If they don't like it then tell them to bring Jesus back and see how he judges it ;)

mfs378

May 19, 2003
I honestly cannot see a way out of the middle east mess as long as there are people like this over there, on both sides. What a disaster. I would turn my back and run as far away as possible. We've paid enough for our involvement, let them handle it on their own.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: mfs378
I honestly cannot see a way out of the middle east mess as long as there are people like this over there, on both sides. What a disaster. I would turn my back and run as far away as possible. We've paid enough for our involvement, let them handle it on their own.

The only way to get both sides to listen is if we stop funding the foreign welfare programs that give Israel and other ME nations billions of dollars of our tax money to them. I would imagine that if we tell them both that we are gutting the welfare aid unless they reach a peace deal that we will see some real progress.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Wow, considering the size of Israel, this is a huge amount of people.

Well these people only represent those who had the time to go to an event like this. Even Sharon's own cabinet people were there bad mouthing him and threatening to walk out. I would imagine that there are a lot more then 100,000 people who feel the same way about the settlement plans.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: mfs378

The only way to get both sides to listen is if we stop funding the foreign welfare programs that give Israel and other ME nations billions of dollars of our tax money to them. I would imagine that if we tell them both that we are gutting the welfare aid unless they reach a peace deal that we will see some real progress.

I agree 100%. Also, and I guess this is relegated to daydreams: move towards hydrogen power for vehicles, and alternative generation of power for the production of hydrogen. Because what is being done with oil money is part of the problem too. Then they can drink their oil for all I care.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Maybe Bush can work out a deal with Vicente Fox to move a bunch of Israelis to Mexico ;)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Noone likes to give up their cozy couch that they've been slouching in for a while, even if its in someone elses home.

I say once they begin, give them an order over the loudspeaker to evacuate, and if they don't leave the premises immediately then bulldoze the buildings anyways, just like the way they do it to the palestinians.

If you're not with them, you're against them.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3rThe only way to get both sides to listen is if we stop funding the foreign welfare programs that give Israel and other ME nations billions of dollars of our tax money to them. I would imagine that if we tell them both that we are gutting the welfare aid unless they reach a peace deal that we will see some real progress.

The US is not the only one that is pumping funds into the problem. Other countries pour funds into both sides on the conflict as well as private parties.

Unless there is an absolute cutoff across the board, the situation will repeat like the original scenario after the British pulled out (Palestine Mandate) and end up like the '67 conflict.

Israel, will be forced to go on the complete offensive with what resources they have as a preemptive strike against the militants. Without extermal support, any influence that may exists to contain the conflict will be lost. They will go back to the original borders of "biblical" Israel and completely destory the Palestians as a possible independent entity. Force the refugees to do disburse through out the Arab world similar to what was done to the Jews by the Romans.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
There's only one country that could possibly have substantial influence on Israel. Unfortunately, the Bush administration has few qualms about Likud policy . . . except for the negative publicity it generates.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
There's only one country that could possibly have substantial influence on Israel. Unfortunately, the Bush administration has few qualms about Likud policy . . . except for the negative publicity it generates.

My post above related to the balance of influence within the region.

Removing the US influence would unstablize the region if the other opposing influences were not removed.

As long as Israel feels threatened, they will have a hair-trigger.