More Republicans trying to whitewash slavery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I mean, it's entirely true that the 3/5s Compromise came about because the South wanted their slaves to count for the purposes of calculating representation and the North wanted them to not count. But if one's takeaway from that fact is "so the 3/5s Compromise was totes a good thing" and not "which shows you how this country was founded on white supremacy (since God knows "should Black people be allowed to vote" wasn't part of the conversation)", I just don't don't even.

(Also, this fact is a fine example of why the electoral college is build upon a fatally flawed base.)

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't get why anyone would want to portray it as anything other than what it was. The Southern states purchased slaves, and treated them as slaves. Why try to hide that? No one alive today ever owned a slave, most people don't have a distant ancestor that owned a slave. Everyone that committed those crimes is dead, and everyone that was enslaved is dead as well. Why try to clean it up now?
It really hurts their "you can't say anything bad about 'Murica" narrative.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The depth of ignorance it required to create that sentence is truly astounding. Just the grammar, oh god the grammar, brought me to my knees, but then when I finally parsed the idea you are trying to convey...
I'm literally left in awe. Want to educate you, but I am at a loss on how to even approach the fortress of stupidity you must have built around your mind to think that this post was a good idea.
I'm sorry. I'm really at a loss here. How do you even approach explaining this to someone?
Same shit, different day.

Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It really hurts their "you can't say anything bad about 'Murica" narrative.
Which is world class stupid. None of us did it, we have no guilt, no responsibility, and no need to be shamed by what occurred.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
See, that's the last thing I take away from this situation. What's infinitely more concerning to me is that so many people think that America shouldn't be criticized.

If you don’t criticize America, as an American, as a politician, then there isn’t any issues to fix. No issues to address means no work needs to be done except to ensure ones re-election and that’s where we are at right now. One party only cares about staying in power and raising money while the other wants to make America better. Convince me I’m wrong.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you don’t criticize America, as an American, as a politician, then there isn’t any issues to fix. No issues to address means no work needs to be done except to ensure ones re-election and that’s where we are at right now. One party only cares about staying in power and raising money while the other wants to make America better. Convince me I’m wrong.
It's worse than that. They actually think criticizing America is un-American.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Which is world class stupid. None of us did it, we have no guilt, no responsibility, and no need to be shamed by what occurred.

Those who don't learn from history. Well, I'll leave it at what you said is really stupid.

I'm pretty sure these people are still not over the whole losing that Civil war thing. LIterally a huge part of the base of the GQP. Not a fringe.

ap00070101626-4e5f8a1b40df73b275344fc3a1eb39e031d5186a-s800-c85.jpg

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I don't get why anyone would want to portray it as anything other than what it was. The Southern states purchased slaves, and treated them as slaves. Why try to hide that? No one alive today ever owned a slave, most people don't have a distant ancestor that owned a slave. Everyone that committed those crimes is dead, and everyone that was enslaved is dead as well. Why try to clean it up now?

I was just wondering why it was important to mention most people don’t have an ancestor that owned slaves, yet completely and “innocently” forgot to mention most blacks in America DO HAVE ancestors that were slaves…a very important distinction and no mention made of it by you.

Things that make you go “Hmmmmmm….”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I was just wondering why it was important to mention most people don’t have an ancestor that owned slaves, yet completely and “innocently” forgot to mention most blacks in America DO HAVE ancestors that were slaves…a very important distinction and no mention made of it by you.

Things that make you go “Hmmmmmm….”
Do enough digging and you may be sadly surprised. My brother is into genealogy, and does research about people for a government agency for a living. I have a digitized document from Missouri describing my great great grandfather on my father's side list of property upon his death. Seems he owned eight unfortunate souls. United Negro college fund will be in my will.

Reactions: Pohemi

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Folks should take some time to actually read the Confederate Constitution as well as the articles of secession of the Confederate States of America.

The CSA constitution is a straight up copy paste of the US Constitution, makes some precedural changes that allows individual states less oversight by the central government and does one very interesting thing: it specifically bars any state in the confederacy from abolishing slavery. Yep, being Pro-Slavery is literally the one requirement of being a CSA state.

Articles of secession basically boil down to:
-The supremacy of the white races.
-The inferiority of the negro
-Ergo white people should be able to own black people as the natural order of things.

There is some more nuance and legal arguments about how state A was denied money to grow crop X and what have you in there, but it always ends up coming back to slavery.

A lot of folks have really bought into the myth of the lost cause and the states rights thing (my public school and teachers in southern California taught this), but read some source material and it becomes very plain that the CSA seceded because it felt the institution of slavery was under threat.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So we learn our lessons and make things right by acknowledging that our past behavior as a nation had some very bad experiences and those experiences should be addressed and dealt with through apologies and reparations.

Now, what's so wrong with that? It's the historical facts of our experiment with democracy, up to and including how some southern states seceded from the union, fought a war over keeping slaves as a god given right and lost that war for the betterment of all who came after it.

For those who would rather bury their shame by rewriting history or even declare how proud they are over their ancestor's past practices by keeping the tradition of white supremacy over all others alive and well? Let's leave them behind us as the regressive racist throwbacks that they are and have the rest of us move on by admitting our faults as a nation and make amends for them.

If after all this time they find it to their advantage that their wounds should fester rather than be healed, so let it be. All they're going to come to realize is that they're being left behind as relics of a distant past with lessons never learned, being ignored and relegated into obscurity.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All they're going to come to realize is that they're being left behind as relics of a distant past with lessons never learned, being ignored and relegated into obscurity.
That would be great and all except that they keep winning elections, so they are less a relic of the distant past as a major power of the present and does not seem likely to change.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Those who don't learn from history. Well, I'll leave it at what you said is really stupid.

I'm pretty sure these people are still not over the whole losing that Civil war thing. LIterally a huge part of the base of the GQP. Not a fringe.

View attachment 46847

I feel sorry for the staff at the Golden Corral that is at the end of that march.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The whitewashing of history by Republicans continues in South Carolina. They think they are being clever by labeling the law as anti racist but in reality it is anti-truth. Everything's cool so long as we don't upset the little white kids.
Republican Rep. Adam Morgan, a co-sponsor of the bill, says it doesn’t stop teachers from giving their students the facts.

“Nothing in this bill restricts the teaching of fact-based history. It’s not in there. Read it. It clearly lays out the prohibited concepts, basically don’t discriminate, don’t push racism, don’t indoctrinate kids in your personal political viewpoints. That’s what it says,” he said. “There is nothing in that bill that really should be controversial.”

That is, except the part that bans teaching anything that assumes “fault, blame, or bias should be assigned to race, sex, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin, or to members of a race, sex, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin because of their race, sex, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin.” That’s code for teaching that white people are responsible for slavery.

Democratic Rep. Jermaine Johnson expressed his frustration to his Republican colleagues. According to Johnson, the bill is an effort to prevent white people from being “uncomfortable” with facing the reality of slavery and its impact. He added that it was even more shameful to have the discussion during Black History Month.

“This bill comes from people being uncomfortable about learning Black history,” Johnson said. “The nation’s founders killed people who looked like me. They hung people who looked like me. Is that indoctrination, or is that truth?”

SC House Republicans Pass Bill Allowing Parents to Sue Public School Districts for "Racist" Curriculum (yahoo.com)

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Democrats are so mean. They took the fine art of racist discrimination and turned it around against it's best practitioners, racist Republicans and iced the cake by applying it to a personal characteristics that truly are contemptible.

Reactions: Lezunto
Mar 11, 2004
Folks should take some time to actually read the Confederate Constitution as well as the articles of secession of the Confederate States of America.

The CSA constitution is a straight up copy paste of the US Constitution, makes some precedural changes that allows individual states less oversight by the central government and does one very interesting thing: it specifically bars any state in the confederacy from abolishing slavery. Yep, being Pro-Slavery is literally the one requirement of being a CSA state.

Articles of secession basically boil down to:
-The supremacy of the white races.
-The inferiority of the negro
-Ergo white people should be able to own black people as the natural order of things.

There is some more nuance and legal arguments about how state A was denied money to grow crop X and what have you in there, but it always ends up coming back to slavery.

A lot of folks have really bought into the myth of the lost cause and the states rights thing (my public school and teachers in southern California taught this), but read some source material and it becomes very plain that the CSA seceded because it felt the institution of slavery was under threat.

Everytime some asswipe pulls the "states' rights" and that it wasn't about slavery or racism I ask them to let me record them reading the articles of secession of the Confederate states. It never changes their minds but it usually gets them to shut the fuck up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm doing a Black History Month emphasis on my weekly radio show (KALX, Berkeley, 90.7 FM UC Berkeley radio, www.kalx.berkeley.edu Wednesdays 3-6PM Pacific Time). My first installment was 3 days ago and I played almost all black musicians. I did one pontification (in a mic break), explaining that America IS a melting pot, more so than any other nation on earth, and by a mile. I also reiterated my position that if you eliminated through the sweep of a magic wand any American subculture, ethnicity, religious denomination, race, region of origin or current locale, etc., America would not change fundamentally with one single exception and that's African Americans, those with significant African blood. It would not be the same country without them, not even close.

I went on to say that I'd studied American history, a requirement for my undergraduate degree, and that it was my best history course ever, far better than anything I experienced in grade school. It went up to and through the American civil war. Then I said that was great but it didn't explain the true nature of slavery in America anything like the two books I've read in recent years:

Solomon Northup's "12 Years a Slave"

Frederick Douglass' "The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave.

I explained that I read Northup's account before seeing the movie, which was an excellent and accurate rendering of the book. I read Douglass' book only recently, 2-3 months ago now. I cannot recommend these two books highly enough. It is impossible to read and comprehend these books and not come away detesting slavery in the utmost.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Please Muse, be careful. DeSantis is likely inspiring many wackos.

A hearty Thank You and Best Wishes from this senior Afro American.

• Love
Reactions: HomerJS and Muse